I need a good hat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an EMS hat similar to the Campmor design in TCD's post. It spends 98% of my winter trips in the bottom of my pack. (I am usually hotter than most hikers, staying cool is the main problem I have)

If it's not too cold, I'll use a poly-pro ear warmer or a poly pro hat. Typical winter temps of teens & low 20's in a old wind-bloc Ear warmer (much warmer than the ones sold at EMS the last 7-9 years) When I get higher up or it's colder I'll usually go from the ear warmer to the wind-bloc balaclava.

On most winter trips the two pieces of wind-bloc are all I use.

In winter I carry 3 hats - midweight wool, heavyweight wool, and when it's very cold and windy this one from OR - it's made of WindStopper fleece, which is one notch up from WindBloc.

Other gear manufacturers make similar ones, including Cabelas. The advantage of this style is that you can pull the ear flags under your chin for additional warmth.

And yes - it's tough to hear when wearing WindStopper. That's not necessarily a bad thing when you're in windy conditions.

The main reason I want it to be really warm is because I'll wearing it while standing in the February cold waiting for the subway in Boston.

The mountain hardware hat referenced in my earlier post would be great for cold days in Boston waiting for the subway. Overheating is probobly not an issue...but like I said, it's a little difficult to hear with it on.

People referenced a lot of good hats here but as you say, you're standing, waiting.

The hearing problem is worse when those windstopper hats are under a climbing helmet. And you often need to hear your partner.

I cut small (1/4" or so) ear holes in my windstopper hats. It fixes the hearing problem; it doesn't seem to let in much cold wind; and to date I have not had any hats start to unravel or have problems with the holes expanding.

I'm a three hatter as well.

The main hat is a toque, similar to the Swix thing. I like it because it's quite thin... thin enough to fit under a bike helmet (which is no use in the mountains)

Then, when it gets colder, I have an old, polypro cagoule (are they called baklava in English?) which I wear under the toque. Very thin and small, rolls up into a ball which is smaller than a polypro sock (which I frequently confuse it for)

Finally I have a fleece baklava which I wear over the other two, when it gets real cold. I got this from the Canadian National Biathlon team about 15 years ago. Much too warm for moving. Only while sitting at camp

The main hat is a toque, similar to the Swix thing. I like it because it's quite thin... thin enough to fit under a bike helmet (which is no use in the mountains)
I carry a fleece or knitted wool watch cap--very similar to a toque.

Then, when it gets colder, I have an old, polypro cagoule (are they called baklava in English?) which I wear under the toque. Very thin and small, rolls up into a ball which is smaller than a polypro sock (which I frequently confuse it for)

Finally I have a fleece baklava which I wear over the other two, when it gets real cold. I got this from the Canadian National Biathlon team about 15 years ago. Much too warm for moving. Only while sitting at camp
Close--its balaclava in English. Baklava is a Greek pastry.

I have several of varying weights in wool and fleece, and often carry two--a very light fleece one and a heavy wool or fleece. I use the heavy one in combination with a face mask and goggles when conditions dictate. The heavy balaclava is also useful for camping and sleeping.

And sometimes I add a spare. For instance carrying both a wool and fleece watch cap. (Wool is better in precip, either is fine if dry.) Greedy trees have also been known to try to steal my caps...

My windblock cap often doesn't make the cut--if conditions are bad enough to need it, I'm generally happier with a balaclava.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm a three hatter as well.

You really strike me as the mad bomber hat type. :D

The main reason I want it to be really warm is because I'll wearing it while standing in the February cold waiting for the subway in Boston.

Any suggestions?

I use an Ibex Top Knot hat, made from Loden wool, and a Wild Things EP parka with an insulated hood.

Santa left me one of those Mad bomber hats. I love the rabbit fur and it seems warm when I go out with the dog, I will be giving it a full field test on the southern peaks new years day.

Please let us know what you think-I've been thinking about getting one myself. A word about the sizing would be helpful as well. I'm thinking of getting this one-
http://www.madbomber.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=133

This is a great hat and Im in love with it. Good points, very warm, stays drier then I expected and the rabbit fur feels awsome, I feel like Jemeriah Johnson when I put it on. Bad points, to hot to ascend in for sure, cannot hear much with it on. Sizing is something to watch for, I have a normal large head, but I went for the xtra large and Im glad I did, there is very little diffence in one size to the other. I found them at County Store in Milford and was able to try them on.

Thanks for the review. I read something on another site about sizing that said about the same thing-that they run a little small. I usually wear a 6 7/8, but think a half size bigger might work from what you've said.

I was thinking about the white on white, but now wonder about how dirty it will get. Which one do you have? They make them with cotton, leather, supplex (some kind of synthetic) and some other stuff as well, I think.

I can see that they would be really warm, but for me, that's the whole idea-just something to wear while sitting around.