Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a good hat

Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
    My girlfriend gave me one of these for christmas. Very warm so far!! It's boiled wool with a fleece liner.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1262276716374

Fish

Santa left me one of those Mad bomber hats. I love the rabbit fur and it seems warm when I go out with the dog, I will be giving it a full field test on the southern peaks new years day.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingfish View Post
    My girlfriend gave me one of these for christmas. Very warm so far!! It's boiled wool with a fleece liner.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1262276716374

Fish
    I have something similar. Very warm--often too warm. (I also have lighter weight hats.)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Santa left me one of those Mad bomber hats. I love the rabbit fur and it seems warm when I go out with the dog, I will be giving it a full field test on the southern peaks new years day.
    Please let us know what you think-I've been thinking about getting one myself. A word about the sizing would be helpful as well. I'm thinking of getting this one-
    http://www.madbomber.com/store/index...roducts_id=133

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Please let us know what you think-I've been thinking about getting one myself. A word about the sizing would be helpful as well. I'm thinking of getting this one-
    http://www.madbomber.com/store/index...roducts_id=133
    This is a great hat and Im in love with it. Good points, very warm, stays drier then I expected and the rabbit fur feels awsome, I feel like Jemeriah Johnson when I put it on. Bad points, to hot to ascend in for sure, cannot hear much with it on. Sizing is something to watch for, I have a normal large head, but I went for the xtra large and Im glad I did, there is very little diffence in one size to the other. I found them at County Store in Milford and was able to try them on.

Thanks for the review. I read something on another site about sizing that said about the same thing-that they run a little small. I usually wear a 6 7/8, but think a half size bigger might work from what you've said.

I was thinking about the white on white, but now wonder about how dirty it will get. Which one do you have? They make them with cotton, leather, supplex (some kind of synthetic) and some other stuff as well, I think.

I can see that they would be really warm, but for me, that's the whole idea-just something to wear while sitting around.

Just saw these today....how about a down hat??
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
    Just saw these today....how about a down hat??
    Down loses loft from hair/skin oils. Fleece and wool do not.

FWIW, I always wear a (watch cap style) hat or balaclava under the down hoods on my down jackets. (Also in my sleeping bag unless it is too hot.)

Doug