Sledding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mansfield

Reaction score
I used my swiss bob sled to get down Wildcat D last year - are there other 4000' peaks in the whites that are good for sledding? - Tuck's is out for me :)

the TBBT

I usually carry one of the roll up sleds in the winter. My all time best run is the Liberty Springs Trail. I also remember Avalon also being very good. We got into figuring out how many feet per minute in elevation we were losing as a rating measure. Unfortunately, it was one of those totally random hiking conversations which no one remembers the next day-
We were called TBBT “The Bethlehem Bobsled Team” :D

I used my swiss bob sled to get down Wildcat D last year - are there other 4000' peaks in the whites that are good for sledding? - Tuck's is out for me :)

Hands down, by far, Glencliff on moosilauke. I know, I know, many are probably thinking "but except coming off near South Moose it ain't that steep". Well I know McRat was thinking the same thing. But he had to eat crow on that one. It ain't steep but there are some great consistent grades and no lie we have at times gone a whole 1/4 mile non stop on a sled.

Kinsman Ridge trail from Cannon down to the Ski area is a more hair raising adventure, but offers a load of fun!

The Mt. Avalon trail from Avalon down to the junction with A-Z was another goodie. Got some nice long runs in on that one.

And Ammo. Ravine trail was good for a little fun too ;)

Brian

The first time I ever slid down a hiking trail on a sled was coming down the Blueberry Ledge trail on Mt. Whiteface on a Wham-o Air Slick ...in the dark. It was late January of '08 and there was a deep base, covered by 18 inches of fresh powder that had been tramped out into a virtual luge track by a group of snowshoers. Lots of long, fast stretches. Enjoy!

Twinway from South Twin to Galehead Hut is mighty fine sliding. Coming off Mount Hight to Zeta Pass on Carter Moriah Trail is fast too. And of course, descending from South Hancock.

Tim

I am very much looking forward to sledding down the logging roads from Dorset in VT - they seem like they will be long and fast. :D