place to stay near keene/lk placid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
i know there's another thread awhile back but some quick input will help. we want to stay up near lk placid/keene saturday night only. art devlin's is booked. jack rabbit inn has openings and the location is good. can anyone give me some input on this joint? i know it ain't the ritz but i do want something clean and comfortable and please, not totally noisey! the last place we stayed up in jay was terribly noisy, not from traffic but you could hear thru the walls; barking dogs, kids......
we are looking to mt bike and hike so right around the area by the verizon complex, adk area, keene is great.
thanx

Check out this website. You didn't specify a price range, but you can go on this site, click on "where to stay" at the top, then "search all lodging". Hope that helps.

BTW, I've heard good things about the Jackrabbit ....... clean, inexpensive, quiet ........ never stayed there but that's seems to be the general concensus.

Rob

Last edited:
cobble mt or wildwood on lake?

how about cobble mountain lodge/cabins or wildwood on the lake? it's so dam hard to tell via the internet. they may look like they are in a quiet area and when you get there they are right onthe main drag! a friend stayed at cobble several mos ago and said it was ok, but they were doing a lot of construction and it was noisey and torn up.

Re: cobble mt or wildwood on lake?

shadowcat said:
how about wildwood on the lake? it's so dam hard to tell via the internet. they may look like they are in a quiet area and when you get there they are right onthe main drag!

Wildwood is okay, more expensive and higher quality than Jack Rabbit, but it is right in town on the main street.

We stayed at the Jack Rabbit over Memorial Day. It was okay, nothing more, and also right on a main drag. However, it is about twenty minutes closer to Verizon etc. than the Wildwood.

We've always liked the Woodruff in Keene, although some of the rooms are pretty shabby, and Edge of the Lake Motel in Lake Placid, which is the only one that actually has a beach on Lake Placid.

Our favorite place to stay up there is the Adirondack Rock and River, but good luck getting a room.

Hi,

I often stay at the woodruff in Keene if I just need a place to sleep and shower. It is clean but no A/C. The walls are thin but I have never had trouble sleeping (most people are like us and want to get an early start). The rooms have two queen beds and it only cost $45 if you pay cash, and yes you can stay just one night.

Now I would never bring anyone there that I was trying to impress that’s what the Mirror Lake Inn is for.

The Woodruff Motel
518-576-4551
Keene

I have also stayed at the Trails End Inn a B&B in Keene Valley I do not know how many people are going but they do have one room available for Saturday night. The room is $95 and you share a bath. This is a very nice place to stay but I have only stayed in rooms with a private bath.

Trails End Inn
518-576-9860
800-281-9860
Keene Valley
Or www.trailsendinn.com

Good luck,
Mark

jackrabbit review of internet:

is it really this bad?
It was a bit unbelievable. I've never stayed anywhere quite like it. My room had: Huge house flies (in the winter!). I had to request flypaper.
The door had no deadbolt. There were no curtains, just a bedsheet cut in half and thumbtacked up over the two windows. There was no desk - just an unclean resin table and resin chairs. The bedspreads and sheets looked ancient, but to be fair they appeared clean. The bathroom faucet leaked and the single light in the bathroom was too full of insects to shed much light. There was an internet connection available at the front desk, literally you had to put your laptop on the counter and stand there, typing away. That is, if you were lucky enough to find the lobby open. The plusses of the inn are: Great location - the mountain views out the windows were excellent (would have been better if the windows were clean) and it was close to great cross country skiing with one trail literally just behind the inn. I also had plenty of hot water and heat

unfortunately, those reviews of the jackrabbit are not totally unfair. i think they may be a bit harsh, but they aren't completely uncalled for either.

i stay at the jackrabbit in winter sometimes when i can't make it into the park at night and will be spending the night only and getting an alpine start. i wouldn't expect much more, and considering the prices, you shouldn't either.

trails inn is a nicer b&b. the woman who runs it is very nice, the rooms are clean, bathrooms are shared but it worked out fine. however, this is a bit more out of your way if you are looking to spend most of your time in l.p.

in l.p. it seems that your options quickly go into higher price ranges, and since i am not usually up there for comfort or to impress, i haven't had much other experience in the area.

hope that helps somewhat.

INFO

thanks guys. i just had to share that review w/you bec it sure gave a grave picture of the place! i try to balance cost with comfort. honestly sometimes our tent set up is cleaner than some rooms i've seen! trying to find a joint, on short notice for 1 nite is practically impossible anyway. our choices were slim: either jackrabbit or wildwood. for the $28 more we opted for wildwood.
thanks for the info and here's to a sunny wkend....PLEEEESSSE!:cool:

I've stayed at the Spruce Lodge B&B on Rt 73, closer to LP than Keene. For one person it is $41 a nite, $79 for three. Most rooms have private bath. Clean place & friendly people. 1-800-258-9350 or 518-523-9350; www.sprucelodgebnb.com

wildwood

just got back from a great wkend up at placid. we ended up staying at the wildwood on the lake, in lk placid. after calling a lot of places they had 1 room left. it was $98 for 2 people; one night. so a bit more expensive then just a place to crash. but i would def go back and stay there. the "managers" , edith i think her name was and her husband were really really nice. check in time was not until 3 but we were up there at 11:30. we stopped by just to let them know we were here and the room was ready so they let us take it. our room was in the bldg where the outside; inground pool is; so i wasn't too sure how that would turn out. it was great actually. first, the rooms are really nice and very clean. they come with hair blowers, iron, small frig, microwave, coffee pot, phone and tv. the bathrooms were especially clean - something i've found is lacking in a lot of hotels up north. maybe just bad luck on my part! they have 2 pools: a regular inground - nothing special but it was clean and cool and one that's like a small lake; sand bottom and fed from lk placid. also clean and refreshing. they are also on a small inlet of lk placid and have canoes, row boats and paddle boats. there's an ample size grassy area with picnic tables, chairs and grills. after mountain biking at the Verizon sports complex (fun, nothing too difficult-great workout) for sev hours saturday we went back to our room, swam and did not even realize the 1st floor of our bldg contained a sauna and hottub! that was nice to soak our tired muscles in. then we canoed all over lake placid. anyway, they were one of the few places that didn't stick to the 2 nite minimum and it was fun being able to take off at night and walk all over downtown. oh and right across the street is a great little restaurant called the "carribbean cowboy". after labor day the prices do go down and during the week is also less expensive. they also have cabins. i think off season the rooms start at $68 so my choice is def there! i would highly recommend it - if you are sharing costs it's well worth it.
AND.... Sunday was sweltering humid and just icky hiking - but the water pools along east dix were awesome!

Last edited:
I've stayed at Cobble Mountain Lodge a bunch of times. And I'm actually staying there this weekend. The guy who runs it is a real flake. "Forgot" our reservations about 3 times.

But it's the best value in town and all of the cabins have been remodeled (very tastefully I might add). $65/night on a holiday weekend for a cabin with a full kitchen and dining area. Can't beat that. I like the location as well. Just outside of town so that it's real quiet yet a short walk to mirror lake and main street (about a mile or 2). Which means you can go to the LP Brewery, have 8 or 9 Ubu ales and walk home!

Re: jackrabbit review of internet:

QUOTE]Originally posted by shadowcat
is it really this bad?
It was a bit unbelievable. I've never stayed anywhere quite like it. My room had: Huge house flies (in the winter!). I had to request flypaper.
The door had no deadbolt. There were no curtains, just a bedsheet cut in half and thumbtacked up over the two windows. There was no desk - just an unclean resin table and resin chairs. The bedspreads and sheets looked ancient, but to be fair they appeared clean. The bathroom faucet leaked and the single light in the bathroom was too full of insects to shed much light. There was an internet connection available at the front desk, literally you had to put your laptop on the counter and stand there, typing away. That is, if you were lucky enough to find the lobby open. The plusses of the inn are: Great location - the mountain views out the windows were excellent (would have been better if the windows were clean) and it was close to great cross country skiing with one trail literally just behind the inn. I also had plenty of hot water and heat
[/QUOTE]

Shadow I stayed at the Jack Rabbit Inn a few winters ago. The review is a bit harsh but not totally untrue. The rooms for the most part are clean but I remember looking under the bed and there was all sorts of crap under it like it hadn't been cleaned in years.

I talked with the owner for a few minutes when checking in he seemed like an alright guy. ITs definately a place to stay without a lady friend as I do not think she would like it much. Your definately safe staying there and the prices are right. They also have a hostile for much cheaper a night if you do not mind having bunkmates. I would definately stay here again!!!! Its definately nicer than some of the leanto's I have stayed in
:D

We stay at the Jack Rabbit whenever we go to Lake Placid. Good location, reasonable rates, and relatively clean.

I've stayed at Trails End before & this year at the ADK Loj, both very nice, the B&B offers privacy, the loj like minded friends you don't know yet.