3 hikers lost on Mt. Hood

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's sad, especially when that storm was predicted days in advance. Something similar happens every year or so lately on Hood.

Two individual that started the south route 2 hours after the trio.

Skeele said conditions on the mountain were nearly perfect when they began the climb in the pre-dawn hours. "The conditions were very cold, they were clear," said Skeele. "I guess they were ideal for climbing ---it was soft hard packed snow...so you had good grip."
They did turn around just below the summit due to ice fall as the sun warmed the mountain.

[Speculation]
Looks like all three may have been avalanched.
[/speculation]

Article

While I don't know all the ins and outs of "big mountain" climbing....the climber that was found did not have any injuries that would/could have happened in an avalanche. Just cuts, bruises, etc and the coroner said he died from hypothermia.

While I don't know all the ins and outs of "big mountain" climbing....the climber that was found did not have any injuries that would/could have happened in an avalanche. Just cuts, bruises, etc and the coroner said he died from hypothermia.

I would think cuts and bruises would be exactly what someone that walked away from an avalanche would have. Along with a possible concussion.

Good point Rik....thanks for pointing out the obvious. It had said minor cuts and bruises, and I was just thinking it would be more severe injuries like broken bones, etc.

Lots of speculation. If there was an avy on the hardpacked layer described, it would be one big slab and obvious from the first helicopter. And the body would have been near it.

What a damn shame.

Lots of speculation. If there was an avy on the hardpacked layer described, it would be one big slab and obvious from the first helicopter. And the body would have been near it.

What a damn shame.

Your right. It wasn't my intention to fuel a speculation discussion prior to the full reporting of the known facts.

My bad.

Additional Information

Rescue workers said Tuesday that because the snow on Mount Hood is so unstable and prone to avalanches, there could be no prudent attempt any time soon, perhaps this winter, to send rescue workers to the lofty crags where 29-year-old Katie Nolan and 24-year-old Anthony Vietti are believed to be.

The idea Nolan was hurt arises because mountaineers found just one of her gloves Saturday with the body of Gullberg on Reid Glacier at an elevation of 9,000 feet, at the base of the 1,500-foot Reid headwall. The slope rises at a 50-degree angle from the glacier to within a few hundred feet of relatively easier climbing to the top above 11,000 feet.

Sheriff Roberts released a statement on Monday 1/4/10 regarding the rescue effort.

Likely one of the greatest acts of bravery during the entire rescue effort was made by Katie and Anthony's climbing companion, Luke Gullberg. Although we do not yet understand exactly what happened, it's likely that Luke set out to get help after there was an accident high on the mountain. Apparently, he left most of his own gear behind with his friends to increase their chances for survival — then succumbed to exhaustion and hypothermia during the descent.