Thread: 3 hikers lost on Mt. Hood

Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.

3 hikers lost on Mt. Hood

Last edited by TMax; 12-12-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    TMax
    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
    Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
    Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

missing climbers

Unfortunately one climber has been found dead. Very sad.

Mountain49

I've been following this story over the weekend and it just got a little closer to reality for me. My sister and her husband went to college and were friends with the girl, Katie Nolan. Looks like thing are at a bit of stand still with avalanche conditions slowing the search.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...sing_mt_h.html

Yes, it's sad, especially when that storm was predicted days in advance. Something similar happens every year or so lately on Hood.

Two individual that started the south route 2 hours after the trio.

Skeele said conditions on the mountain were nearly perfect when they began the climb in the pre-dawn hours. "The conditions were very cold, they were clear," said Skeele. "I guess they were ideal for climbing ---it was soft hard packed snow...so you had good grip."
    They did turn around just below the summit due to ice fall as the sun warmed the mountain.

[Speculation]
    Looks like all three may have been avalanched.
    [/speculation]

Article
    Enjoy your best

While I don't know all the ins and outs of "big mountain" climbing....the climber that was found did not have any injuries that would/could have happened in an avalanche. Just cuts, bruises, etc and the coroner said he died from hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKdremn View Post
    While I don't know all the ins and outs of "big mountain" climbing....the climber that was found did not have any injuries that would/could have happened in an avalanche. Just cuts, bruises, etc and the coroner said he died from hypothermia.
    I would think cuts and bruises would be exactly what someone that walked away from an avalanche would have. Along with a possible concussion.
    Safety is in the eye of the beholder

Good point Rik....thanks for pointing out the obvious. It had said minor cuts and bruises, and I was just thinking it would be more severe injuries like broken bones, etc.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I would think cuts and bruises would be exactly what someone that walked away from an avalanche would have. Along with a possible concussion.
    Start here for an example. Slightly disturbing photos...
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Lots of speculation. If there was an avy on the hardpacked layer described, it would be one big slab and obvious from the first helicopter. And the body would have been near it.

What a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugach001 View Post
    Lots of speculation. If there was an avy on the hardpacked layer described, it would be one big slab and obvious from the first helicopter. And the body would have been near it.

What a damn shame.
    Your right. It wasn't my intention to fuel a speculation discussion prior to the full reporting of the known facts.

My bad.
    Enjoy your best

Additional Information

Rescue workers said Tuesday that because the snow on Mount Hood is so unstable and prone to avalanches, there could be no prudent attempt any time soon, perhaps this winter, to send rescue workers to the lofty crags where 29-year-old Katie Nolan and 24-year-old Anthony Vietti are believed to be.
    The idea Nolan was hurt arises because mountaineers found just one of her gloves Saturday with the body of Gullberg on Reid Glacier at an elevation of 9,000 feet, at the base of the 1,500-foot Reid headwall. The slope rises at a 50-degree angle from the glacier to within a few hundred feet of relatively easier climbing to the top above 11,000 feet.
    Enjoy your best

Sheriff Roberts released a statement on Monday 1/4/10 regarding the rescue effort.

Likely one of the greatest acts of bravery during the entire rescue effort was made by Katie and Anthony's climbing companion, Luke Gullberg. Although we do not yet understand exactly what happened, it's likely that Luke set out to get help after there was an accident high on the mountain. Apparently, he left most of his own gear behind with his friends to increase their chances for survival then succumbed to exhaustion and hypothermia during the descent.
    Enjoy your best

N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
    That was a very moving account of the rescue effort, and all rescue attempts, really.

Thanks for posting the link.

The remaining missing climbers were finally found. Still very tragic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...ion_finds.html