Your favorite photos of 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get a 2MB pix on, but site only takes .1MB. Anyway to cut back the number of pixels?
Assuming the pic is a JPEG, you can shrink the pic to reduce the number pixels and/or reduce the quality factor (trade-off of number of bytes vs qualtity).

Some viewers can also modify a pic and write it out.

I can tell you how to do it in a Unix/Linux environment, but someone else will have to tell you how to do it in other environments.

The other alternative is to put the pic on some (other) website and post a link to it here.

Doug

loon with chick

Adirondacks near Raquette Lake

15208yx4qL-115751.pic

adkayaker....that's an amazing shot! I just showed my 6 year old son who got a book about loons for Christmas. He's impressed and wondered how you got that close. I told him probably with a very expensive camera!

Last edited:
Here are 10 of my favorite photos from a trip I took up the coast of Labrador this summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjm49/sets/72157623084248066/

Holy crap! That is awesome. Please do elaborate. How did you get up that far north logistically? What was the hiking like? Did you arrange this independently? I would love to get up to Labrador, but it is unclear to me how to travel north of Gros Morne. That is some serious wilderness!

Yeah, I'd like to hear the details on that as well. I've always wanted to visit the Torngats. I've pretty much ruled it out since what I've read suggests that you basically have to charter a plane in.

Very cool place. Glad to see more pictures of it.

Holy crap! That is awesome. Please do elaborate. How did you get up that far north logistically? What was the hiking like? Did you arrange this independently? I would love to get up to Labrador, but it is unclear to me how to travel north of Gros Morne. That is some serious wilderness!

I am glad you like the photos. If you are interested, here is a link to a larger set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjm49/sets/72157623081753634/

I have wanted to visit the coast of Labrador ever since 1995 when I did some hiking in Gros Morne National Park (and wanted to go further north). There is a supply ship (the Northern Ranger) that makes scheduled stops along the coast (and takes passengers), but it only goes as far north as Nain. Searching on the internet, I found an Inuit-owned company called Cruise North (www.cruisenorthexpeditions.com) that runs a trip on an “ice-enhanced” Russian ship (the Lyubov Orlova) from St. John’s, Newfoundland, travels along the entire coast of Labrador, sails into Ungava Bay, and then ends in Kuujjuaq, Quebec. It is a 12-day/11-night trip that makes zodiac landings (1 or 2 per day) all along the way. We stopped at L’Anse aux Meadows (on the upper arm of Newfoundland), Red Bay, Battle Harbour, Grady Island, the Wonderstrands (from the Viking sagas), Makkovic, Nain, Hebron (abandoned in 1959), Saglek Fiord, and Nachvak Fiord. We were also supposed to stop at Killiniq Island (at the northern tip of Labrador), but we had to pass and keep moving given that the ship’s captain thought ice conditions in Ungava Bay (even on July 12) might slow us down and cause us to miss our flight out of Kuujjuaq. Nevertheless, the boat did get to 60’ 23” latitude, which is my “furthest north”.

This trip was a great way to see the entire coast of Labrador, particularly the area north of Nain, which is very inaccessible. Given the time constraints, however, the hikes we could do were pretty short (but the scenery was beautiful). Some day, before I get too old, I would love to return for an extended stay in Saglek and Nachvak Fiords and see more of the Torngat Mountain National Park.

You got to see and photograph a polar bear. That is pretty darn cool!

Tim

The scenary was gorgeous, but the polar bear photo WAS my favorite.

It was strange to hike in an area that needed to be scouted by armed guides, and in which the group need to stay close together because of the possibility of encountering polar bears. Within the Torngat Mountain National Park (which covered Saglek and Nachvak Fiords), only our Inuit guides were allowed to carry firearms.

I see no pricing on that site other than the "save $400" button, which leads me to believe that I will never be able to afford such a trip. Unless the trip is $401. :p

I hope that you'll post plenty more photos when you go back.

Click "Expeditions" then click "Departures and Prices" (it doesn't matter which expedition you pick, there's only one price page).

They're pricy, but oh so beautiful!

five favorite photos

I love all the photos so far. Hope to see more.

Although Sharon and I finished our “48” this year my favorite photos came from other places. Our labs can’t take strenuous hikes with us because of age and/or infirmity (Colonel, the black just turned thirteen and has his own cardiologist, and Derby, the chocolate has arthritis in both elbows). They still enjoy the outdoors and I caught a few pictures of them during a walk in Bear Brook SP in May.

We visited Washington State in August and were able to take a few day hikes. Mount Ellinor was a short half day hike with great wildlife. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recreation-nu/trails/MtEllinor.pdf
There were mountain goats everywhere. The females all had kids in tow and kept their distance, but this billy wasn’t shy at all.

On the way down, this grouse was in the middle of the trail directing traffic. There were chicks scurrying up the mountain on both sides of the trail and she was on a rock in the middle of the trail watching them and all the hikers passing by.

My last photo is also from Washington. We did a day hike along a section of the Wonderland trail from the Fryingpan Creek trail junction to Summerland and Panhandle Gap. Unfortunately, the summit of Mt Rainier was hiding in the clouds. However the area between Summerland and Panhandle Gap was an interesting transition between alpine meadow, scree, and glacier.

View across Lonesome Lake to Franconia Ridge

The Pressies from Mt Avalon

Yikes! Snow Fleas on 19MB Trail

Double Rainbow at Zealand Hut

The Pemigewasset River in fall

Black Pond in fall

Sunset at Zeacliff

Mr G. Jay

Doing the LRiz on Mt Isolation, photographic credit & timing by BikeHikeSkiFish