Clearing blowdowns on the AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I went up Holt's Ledges on Friday to clear some lingering blowdowns from the AT.
Here's my homemade saw pack based on a design I had seen in an ATC newsletter a while back.
2210066570099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

The first blowdown I had seen a few weeks ago. It was hanging up in another tree, and looked like it wouldn't take much to have it fall across the trail. I guess I was right, because when I got to it, it was across the trail!
2605240950099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

First, I limbed the section I intended to remove from the trail, and then bucked it into sections that I could easily move off the trail.
2427438190099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

2559586050099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

The final tree for the day was a tougher tree to fell. It was a big Aspen whose crown had fallen into two other trees and gotten all tangled up. I knew when it did fall, it would be a real mess, and cause all kinds of side trail to form, so I decide it should go now, since I had my saw with me. I forgot to take a "before" picture, but these two are the "after" pics.
2094430310099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

2497873690099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

We were able to get the tree to fall off the trail by using some 1" webbing as rigging to get it to fall the way we wanted it to.

All in all, a productive day in the woods, and the fresh snow was beautiful!:)

Last edited:
Nice board for your saw Jason. Can't distribute the weight much better than that. What's the length of your blade, looks like a bit of a snub-nose to me. Calls for a lot of maneuvering.

Thanks, Fisher Cat.
Its a 52cc saw with a 16" bar. I can clear most stuff with it, and if I put an
18" bar on it, I would lose more power just getting the chain out and around the end of the bar. Essentaily, I can clear up to a 32" DBH blowdown with a 16" bar. It works pretty well for what I need to do with it, and its lighter to carry than a larger saw.

I got the external frame pack from the recycling center, and refitted it for the saw with materials I had around the house, including the garage door handle for the saw scabbard to fit into. I do wish it could carry my saw tools,chaps and hard hat.....I'll have to work on that!

jason

Yea, definitely a great job, does what it needs to. Like the zip-ties also. Your handle brace is pretty cool. Is it fastened with like a hex-head self driller?

The power head holder thingy was something I had in the "random hardware" box in the basement. I think its something from a ceiling light fixture? Its mounted to the plywood, and then I found a wingnut that fit the threads so it is easy to put the saw on and take it off. The design I took this from was pretty much the same as what I ended with.

I'm impressed you packed in a chain saw and fuel. The type of people I normally hike with can't carry cocoa without getting hurt!

Larry

P.S.--Thanks for doing the trail work.