AMC Executive Director pay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why, but from what I understand heli operations in general are much less expensive in Europe. I spent some bucks last year having a hot tub craned in to a site where it couldn't be carried in. The guy from the hot tub outfit said that almost all the hot tubs in Switzerland are heli'd in, and that because they have so much volume of work it adds very little to the cost...

i can't imagine any site where a hot tub could be carried in. haha. there was of course, the infamous hot tub party on the summit of mont blanc. the article has been linked here previously.

It's my understanding that the AMC permit with the USFS has some pretty restrictive dates on when AMC can fly in supplies.

I was thinking about this too. Many moons ago, my dad helped the caretaker at Nauman tentsite carry an empty propane bottle up to the hut and I was a little amazed at the number of bottles in storage - there were at least a dozen. The helicopter bill to supply the huts and other backcountry sites must be enormous, and I'm sure the food bill is a close second.

Before Zealand Hut had Clivus toilets, Pat had the privilege of helping carry 500 pounds of poops to the heli landing strip. :cool:

Huts in Europe

They also have hot showers, espresso machines, and you order meals off a menu... at least that's true for the refugi in the Dolomites. Ran us about US$50-60 PP/night, including meals & drinks. (How much did you drink, Dave?!) :)

Last edited:
Huts in Europe

They also have hot showers, espresso machines, and you order meals off a menu... at least that's true for the refugi in the Dolomites. Ran us about US$50-60 PP/night, including meals & drinks. (How much did you drink, Dave?!) :)

I did the tour du mont blanc three years ago and every single hut in France, Italy and Switzerland was between $60-$75/person per night in USD. The food was better than AMC's and the buildings and rooms were a few notches up as well. I loved the AMC huts prior to that trip, but now I just like them :D

Ann-"[Lakes Of The Clouds] should NOT be located above treeline to begin with..it violates all wilderness regs!!!!"
Lakes Of The Clouds Hut is not within any federally designated Wilderness area so it does NOT "violates all wilderness regs".

Ann-"In addition Madison Hut should not be located above treeline!!!!"
The AMC owns the one acre of land Madison Springs Hut is on. Check with the local zoning board to see if that is a problem for them.:)

Historical artifacts

Lakes Of The Clouds Hut is not within any federally designated Wilderness area so it does NOT "violates all wilderness regs".

The AMC owns the one acre of land Madison Springs Hut is on. Check with the local zoning board to see if that is a problem for them.:)

Since Madison hut dates from 1888, and Lakes from 1901, I guess that they would qualify as historical artifacts if they were actually in a designated wilderness and must stay.

(Ann) My prior post stating that Lakes would be a zoo at mealtime under self service because of the capacity of 95+ was based on my experiences staying at self service huts.

Signing up to use the cooking facilities would be really fun:eek:

Before Zealand Hut had Clivus toilets, Pat had the privilege of helping carry 500 pounds of poops to the heli landing strip. :cool:
I'd carry propane bottles any day over that! I inspect septic tanks on the side and it's not a job for those with sensitive noses (and stomachs). So I give Pat two HUGE thumbs up for that one! B)

(Ann) My prior post stating that Lakes would be a zoo at mealtime under self service because of the capacity of 95+ was based on my experiences staying at self service huts.

Signing up to use the cooking facilities would be really fun:eek:

Probably one of the reasons why Lakes does not have a self-service season.

December 22nd, 9:30am

Dear [name deleted]
Thank you for your recent email regarding the salary of AMC Executive Director, Andy Falender. Mr. Falender’s compensation is a matter of public record, available in AMC’s IRS Form 990 and through online sources such as Charity Navigator. You’ll also find AMC’s annual report summary, and audited financial statements, on our website under “About/Financial Information.”

Mr. Falender’s compensation is reviewed by an independent compensation committee each year, which makes recommendations to our Board of Directors. The Committee looks at a variety of factors, including compensation of other non-profit executives, and the scale of AMC’s operations. AMC currently employs 140 full-time staff located in five states, employs approximately 200 seasonal employees, and maintains over 1,500 miles of trails as well as a number of lodges, huts, and shelters. AMC’s 2008 budget was $21.8 million, and we have recently raised $45 million through our Campaign for the Maine Woods, which supports the conservation of over 66,000 acres in Maine’s 100-Mile Wilderness.

Member dues support our mission based programs, including our 12 local chapters; research on the impact of climate change on the alpine zone in New Hampshire; our policy staff who advocate for increased land conservation funding and uniform guidelines on wind power project siting; our ability to get over 10,000 at-risk urban youth outdoors last year; professional trail crews in New Hampshire and Maine, as well as training and coordination of our 16,000 volunteers. Our White Mountains staff also assists in a number of search and rescue efforts each year.

We do contact lapsed members and encourage them to consider rejoining AMC. If you’d like to learn more about the breadth of what we are doing, please visit our website or review last year’s annual report at http://www.outdoors.org/pdf/upload/08-ann-report.pdf

Sincerely,

[name deleted]
Director of Communications
Appalachian Mountain Club

December 22nd, 4:30pm

Dear [name deleted]

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am aware of what the AMC does, but there's no harm in reading it again. You guys do stay busy.
My focus, however, was the director's pay, and you answered that, too. I will not be re-joining AMC. I'm sure you guys will do fine without
my $25. I'm an incurable capitalist, and in the business world I believe people should make whatever someone's willing to pay them. Sky
is the limit. No kidding. If you can make it, take it.
But the rules are different for me when I look at non-profit organizations. Reasonable people can reasonably disagree about what the head of a
non-profit should get paid. For me, $300k doesn't even come close to passing the smell test.

Anyway, I won't take up any more of your time. I asked, and you answered. Thank you again, and I wish you and your colleagues continued success.

in the business world I believe people should make whatever someone's willing to pay them. Sky
is the limit. No kidding. If you can make it, take it.
But the rules are different for me when I look at non-profit organizations.

Perhaps you could push all non-profit salaries low enough so that everyone would prefer to work in the for-profit sector.

Perhaps you could push all non-profit salaries low enough so that everyone would prefer to work in the for-profit sector.

Public schools come to mind here as well.

Tim

First, I don't see how public schools enter the discussion here since they are funded by tax dollars, whereas the AMC is funded through membership dues, fees and fund raising activities. Billy doesn't like the monetary reality of the AMC and informed them that he is choosing not to support them. He voted with his wallet.

Personally, I think that if you work for a non-profit or for the public sector, your occupation contains some amount of "service". Someone in that situation should certainly not work for free, however they should not expect equal compensation either, IMO.

First, I don't see how public schools enter the discussion here since they are funded by tax dollars, whereas the AMC is funded through membership dues, fees and fund raising activities.

I thought they were an example most could relate to because

A) They don't make a profit
B) Teachers could make more money in the for-profit private sector
C) Many of us have been through them, and many with their own kids

Tim

Last edited:
I thought they were an example most could relate to because

A) They don't make a profit
B) Teachers could make more money in the for-profit private sector
C) Many of us have been through them, and many with their own kids

Tim

I'm confused!

So are you saying that teachers make too much money? Or that they don't make enough money? Or that they should be paid more money? Or that the quality of teachers would be higher if they were paid more? Or that the reason they are paid so well to work 10 months is to make sure there are quality teachers in school? I'm not sure what argument you are trying to make and how it relates back.

I'm not sure what argument you are trying to make and how it relates back.
I think he's saying that the rule of public good (low pay) applies to non-profit workers, it can easily be applied to teachers. With the implication (again, I think) that it's not fair to expect public school teachers to take a vow of poverty and so it's not fair to expect the same of non-profit workers.

Either way, we're venturing far afield from the original subject. The OP has gotten the response from the AMC that he was seeking and has made his decision regarding joining the AMC.