Hit or Miss? Snow 12/20/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
Got tired of AMC/Highland Center debates, so need to turn to snow.

Originally projected to go south(sounds familiar) but the latest runs of at least one of the major models has the storm hitting NE on Sunday. Sorry, I'm an S.A. (snow addict) and I don't want to be "cured".

I won't even mention next week's Projected Storm. :D

are we really going to have a thread everytime it snows? ok.. back to the highland center debate.. ;)

I'm hoping for more of the white stuff, too, to continue to blanket some of the trails and create a nice snowshoe-able treadway.

While many of the trails in the northern Whites are looking good, some of the ones near me (Newfound Lake), like the Elwell Trail, could use another foot or so in spots to smooth them out.

However, from what I've been looking at, the stuff this weekend is supposed to miss us, though, while the stuff on Christmas is looking more like rain/freezing rain instead of snow.

But, that can all change.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for snow (and slightly warmer temperatures -- more in the 20s than single digits).

are we really going to have a thread everytime it snows? ok.. back to the highland center debate.. ;)

Yeah...sort of like kids talking about Christmas up to the day it happens.

You can tell some of us are quite starved for snow.

As soon as we get some snow, someone will start a thread begging for spring.

I have it on good authority that Dave Metsky will proactively close all such spring-begging threads till at least the Ides of March.

If you're hankering for snow (I noticed it has pretty much all melted inside 495 when I was down this week), we still have a LOT on the ground in the Whites. At 1500 feet and above, even consolidated down, it's easily a good foot of stuff in the trees. Yay!

In SARDOG's stead, here's the Gray ME discussion as of this AM:

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
-- Changed Discussion --
COLD ARCTIC HIGH PRES OVER THE REGION SAT. SAT NGT AND SUN A COASTAL LO DEVELOPS OFF THE MID ATL COAST AND THEN TRACKS NEWD. GFS KEEPS SYSTEM WELL OFF TO THE E WHILE NAM BRINGS IT OVER OR JUST INSIDE THE BENCHMARK...AM RELUCTANT TO BELIEVE NAM SINCE IT WAS ALSO FURTHER E WITH TRACK UNTIL THE LAST TWO RUNS (18Z/00Z). ARGO WILL KEEP POPS MINIMAL FOR SUN FOR NOW AND SEE IF ANY CONTINUITY DEVELOPS WITHIN MODELS. EARLY TO MIDWEEK MORE HIGH PRES SETTLES OVER THE AREA WITH DRY CONDS. STAYED CLOSE TO GMOS OVERALL FOR POPS AND TEMPS.
-- End Changed Discussion --

In other words, they think the maybe-storm for Sunday will stay sufficiently far out to see that it will not significantly impact us, but they will continue to watch it for further development.

If you're hankering for snow (I noticed it has pretty much all melted inside 495 when I was down this week), we still have a LOT on the ground in the Whites. At 1500 feet and above, even consolidated down, it's easily a good foot of stuff in the trees. Yay!
There was quite a bit of post-storm snow. Hikers got some snow late in the day Sunday, that continued overnight with about three inches of wet stuff in Thornton. Hiking Tecumseh on Monday, though, there was quite a bit of much more powdery snow above say 3,000 feet. Monday night (as I recall) brought another inch in Thornton, but returning to Tecumseh on Wednesday there were a few more inches of fresh snow.

The snow is there, waiting for you! And given current temps it is unlikely to melt any time soon!

Time to enjoy the snow and stop posting every weather report here.

I like reading these threads.
We have no snow where I am, but I still like to know what the deal is up north. I'm even scour the NE ice info to see what is in and drool over pictures!!
Keep the weather info coming!

We'll probably have a BIG STORM on Sunday. My parents are celebrating their 65th Wedding Anniversary. We've got a restaurant all lined up, and a special cake, too. Normlly, like Quietman, I want all the snow I can get, but let it be after Sunday night, this weekend.

Snowstorm done

Hopefully I'll be able to go on a hike tomorrow. We got 24 inches, which means I can use my snowshoes!!!!

I took a few pics...

Funky, but I like it

744455766_ui7K7-M.jpg

744456487_BWGzo-M.jpg

744825197_sBCEo-M.jpg

744822680_uBuL4-M.jpg

744823154_FMgyA-M.jpg

744824198_6AwRy-M.jpg

744824396_JWvZf-M.jpg

744824673_xtt3E-M.jpg

Can you believe it...leftover foliage
744824948_RxAvq-M.jpg

744824892_gcbqt-M.jpg

Enjoy the storm up in southern New England!! Lots of wind I hear...

Nice pictures, grouseking. Have fun.

We were forecast to get up to 7" in Kingston, NY. But it was nothing more than a dusting. I suppose I should be happy that I do not have to shovel anything.

The Catskills appear to be still picking up some light accumulations on the Doppler radar, but I would not expect that it is more than a few inches of new snow.

So my wife and daughters finally convince me that we need to go to a warm place for a family winter vacation. I love the snow, favorite season- Scheduled for an n 8 AM flight to Puerto Rico this AM and Logan is shut down, roads are a mess, and all my skis and snowshoes are in NH- can’t win

Boston is getting slammed right now- lots of great drifts, great gusts of wind

Gotta get my shorts and t shirt on, mix up a batch of Pina Coladas and head for the airport-

Hasta !
;)

We had a blizzard in GA the other night also. Went to Dairy Queen. I had butter finger piece in mine. The shoveling was intense.:D

I have 10 inches in my backyard in Cape May NJ. We usually do not get this much snow over an entire season. I was psyched to go cross country skiing but there is a wet slushy layer underneath the white fluffy stuff.