which controversial topics are you willing to stop commenting on ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I pledge to not flame comment on the following subject...

• Cell phone use on the trail

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Alcohol use on the trail

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Global Warming/Climate Change

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Hunters vs Animals Rights

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • The AMC/Sierra Club/etc

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • MSR snowshoes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • dogs on the trail

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • lost hiker fines

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • taking children/infants into the mountains

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Screw you, man, it's all good

Votes: 32 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chip

Reaction score
I enjoy a good argument as much as anyone, well maybe not anyone, some people argue just to see if they can get a rise out of you. There are certain topics that we're allowed to discuss here, to a point, that never fail to degrade to insults and anger. I'm not talking about a legitimate question about, say, snowshoes, but then you can see the "MSR's suck" comments coming a mile away. The other problem is, if you post in a thread about how ridiculous the comments have become, you are, in fact, posting a ridiculous comment that prolongs the degradation. The only rational approach is to avoid commenting entirely and allow the thread to die. Anyone who's been here more than a month understands what I'm talking about.

What Hot Button Topics are you willing to never comment on again ? Again, I'm not talking about an honest question on the topic, I'm referring to the inevitable flames.

I predict that this thread will get lots of views and replies.

Nostradamus, watch out, I got some legit prophecy powers.

What Hot Button Topics are you willing to never comment on again ? Again, I'm not talking about an honest question on the topic, I'm referring to the inevitable flames.

But then what would I do? :D

I'm tired of the global warming debate.

Last edited:
Wow, how did you leave out the gateway drug of Trail Running?

I just love hearing how the people going 3-4 miles an hour "just don't get it" from the people going 2 miles an hour.

Unfortunately, this is all human nature, and will never disappear.

I could dismiss most of those categories most of the time, but there are times when I feel compelled to comment. It's just the way I am.

If this is a New Year's resolution, I pledged long ago to not make any more New Year's resolutions! :D

Wow, how did you leave out the gateway drug of Trail Running?

Not enough room. Poll limits 10 responses. I would have added GPS vs Map & Compass, too.

J.Dub said:
You forgot one:

I pledge to not flame comment on the following subject...

x Certain users posting too many polls all the time.

I do enjoy a good poll on a slow friday. :eek: Scratch that... :eek:

frankly - the controversial topics are the most interesting and entertaining...

One could argue that many feel this way since these have the most posts, etc...

There are always the few holier than tho types that cringe on messing around on the more vocal, controversial, and "less convential" view points, but the reality is - these topics/people are fun....

at least to me.. I think I probably fall in that area and man - look at all my "greenies"... Someone, somewhere in the bowels of this site, loves me...... I know a few that totally despise me as well... oh well.

just sayin'

Last edited:
It's good to "flame" once in awhile so we get a chance to experience repentance

That's alright -- this thing's gotta happen every five years or so -- ten years -- helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know you got to stop them at the beginning, like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich. They should never've let him get away with that. They were just asking for big trouble. --P. Clemenza

I agree with giggy. Hashing things out are the way we form/change opinions.

If you can't defend/support your position, maybe it's time to consider changing it.

If you can't defend/support your position, maybe it's time to consider changing it.

Well, you're just an ass for thinking that way ! :eek:

;)

Those are the types of comments I'm referring to. I understand Chomp and Giggy don't care for the AMC and they understand I don't have a problem with it. Doesn't mean we wouldn't hike together and hoist a few beers.

Many moons ago, when this board started, I was more passionate about things than I am today. The only controversial items I usually post about now are about dogs. I put 2,000+ miles on my dog on the trail, and am a firm believer in them being allowed to be on there. Even though I don't hike with my current dog anymore, I still will comment about this when prompted.

As for the other stuff, I frankly just don't have the time or desire to prove someone right, or wrong, on the internet anymore. So, I click and read, but rarely post.

To me - People who aren't afraid to express their opinions are interesting. People who skirt every controversial topic because they don't want to offend are boring - I already see plenty of passive aggressive people out there. Keep on posting. I will if the topic irks me in that special way.

Plus, it's good to know one's stance on alcohol use on the trail - it will affect my decision to go on a trip with you :D

Nothing like a school yard fight to bring all the kids running.

Nothing wrong with controversial discussions and people firmly stating their opposing P'sOV. It's when the line between a debate and a fight gets crossed that the number of views on a thread really shoots up. Probably a lot of the same people checking the thread multiple times.

I usually stay away from hot button topics because I only participate in the forums for fun and evasion. The last thing I want to do is log-on and argue with strangers. This would make me less interesting to read but if I really said what I thought I would probably have gotten the boot a long time ago. :D

I don't like dog or gun threads but I like threads about guns AND dogs. I have yet to see a thread about guns AND dogs AND gps vs. compass but I keep hoping for that happy day.