Urban Bird Identification

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
I work in the Manchester Millyard and on a yew outside my window sat for all the world what looked like a juvenille Canada Jay. Could it be my favorite bird had come to see me at work? If not, what? I should have gotten a picture, but didn't. The bill was black, the eyes black, gray feathers, a little darker gray on the top of the head. It sat all puffed up looking around at all that was going on. A nature-loving co-worker couldn't ID it either, as we tossed around other possibilities, such as junco, chickadee, pigeon, seagull, morning dove.

I think you just described a whole lot birds. Maybe you could get a pic. That would be helpful. Perhaps several different views if possible.

As I turned away to get a camera, it disappeared. It was gray in color, black beak. It looked larger than a chickadee, but it might have been puffed up to keep warm in the cold. It didn't have dramatic chickadee markings, or the band of a junco. I know it wasn't a sea gull :p or pigeon :p or owl.

Tufted Titmouse

I can't think of very many common birds with a black bill, so I bet you saw a Tufted Titmouse. They have a light gray breast, dark gray back with black eyes, dark-colored bill, and a crest that can make it look puffed up. It's small, but bigger than a chickadee, and it can resemble a juvenile jay. It often has orangish sides, but these can be faint.

Here are some example photos:

tuftedtitmouse3.jpg

tuftedtitmoused114.jpg

davidearlstuftedtitmous.jpg

If this isn't it, you might have some luck using http://whatbird.com to figure it out.

Last edited:
That might have been it. Just wondering if it's head would have looked round instead of pointed if it was all "fluffed" up? Thanks for the link. I'll spend some time there...

Another vote for mockingbird

Would be roughly the same size as a grayjay and look similar. Positive ID would be dark/white bands on wings when in flight.

09birds.jpg

Northern Mockingbird

Titmouse bigger than a chickadee but much smaller than a grayjay.

KDT

Last edited:
It was probably a mockingbird, the the wing bands were not so distinct as I've seen in photos. Perhaps I'd have noticed if I had seen it fly away. In life, they are usually up on communication/electrical wires; I've never seen one so close as this one was.

Thanks for your suggestions!