Nineteen Mile Brook Parking - No Parking Pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
While driving back and forth to Conway over the last week, I noticed a Forest Service employee one day working on one of the "parking permit required signs" at Ninetenn mile brook and on a subsequent trip noticed that the USFS Parking Fee station is covered with tarps as well as the iron pipe. I could speculate on the reason but the most logical is that the policy that the parking area must have "services" and that it is mostly ont he state of NH right of way is probably the reason. It will be interesting to see if the overflow parking south of Pinkham that traditionally is used for Tuckermans season will also be a non fee area.

It doesnt really make a difference to me as I buy the parking pass, but I am curious if this is the start of a new policy.

be careful though--could still be towed

Just a reminder--even if passes are not required, if you park on 16 itself (if the parking lot is full, e.g.) and you are blocking the plowing efforts on 16, your car could still be towed, and it's a long walk to Gorham...

Good reminder, the Great Gulf parking is intended for overflow for the 19 mile brook parking but some folks resist the extra 1/4 of a mile walk (despite the fact that they are out hiking for the day!). By the way, the Great Gulf parking does require a parking pass.

While driving back and forth to Conway over the last week, I noticed a Forest Service employee one day working on one of the "parking permit required signs" at Ninetenn mile brook and on a subsequent trip noticed that the USFS Parking Fee station is covered with tarps as well as the iron pipe. I could speculate on the reason but the most logical is that the policy that the parking area must have "services" and that it is mostly ont he state of NH right of way is probably the reason. It will be interesting to see if the overflow parking south of Pinkham that traditionally is used for Tuckermans season will also be a non fee area.
In my comments on the fee increase, I specifically mentioned 19MB as being just a wide spot in the road not worthy of a fee - could they have actually listened?

In November, the Galehead and Garfield fee slots were covered although you could still drive in - I thought this was just to get it done before the road closed but maybe that's part of the new plan.

Last time I went by, I didn't see a fee area sign at the Pinkham overflow but maybe I missed it.

Speaking of passes... I picked mine up at EMS in N Conway on the way home from Zealand at still the $20 rate.

Speaking of passes... I picked mine up at EMS in N Conway on the way home from Zealand at still the $20 rate.
Good to know that EMS carries these -- the list of places where the pass is available seems to change faster than I can keep track and in the past I've stopped by for a new pass at a location that has discontinued carrying them.
However, not all EMSes carry them. None at EMS, Newton MA.

I got mine at REI, Reading MA.

Doug

I have tried a couple of years in a row to buy from an EMS on the list linked above and both times they didn't have any.

It was just as easy to get it by mail this time, the turnaround is very quick.

In my comments on the fee increase, I specifically mentioned 19MB as being just a wide spot in the road not worthy of a fee - could they have actually listened?

In November, the Galehead and Garfield fee slots were covered although you could still drive in - I thought this was just to get it done before the road closed but maybe that's part of the new plan.

Last time I went by, I didn't see a fee area sign at the Pinkham overflow but maybe I missed it.

They didn't listen. I inquired about this last year at one of the Ranger Stations and was told they only do it at certain sites (I specifically asked about 19MBT in winter), and they said it was too costly to maintain keeping the kiosk free of snow for the few people who use it that do not have an annual pass. A parking pass will still be required in the spring.