Lost hiker benighted on Saturday night

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the context of defining an "aggressive" itinerary which of the following would be considered "aggressive"?

Winter Prezie traverse?

Moriah and the Carters?

A Pemi loop?

Garfield - Franconia Ridge - Lincoln Woods traverse?

It's not only the itinerary, it's when you tell your "agent" (nice clarification, Waumbek) to call SAR.

So in this case, was the hike too long? Or was the instruction to call too early?

Either way, as I said on the other thread, we could debate "fault" forever, and it's a waste of time. It sounds like "public pressure" is moving some Western states to fund all rescue.

As for SAR groups, don't discount their self interest in this discussion either. Every group in the world, no matter what their function, wants to be on the government budget 100% and not have to rely on any kind of user fee. Of course they are going to take that position.

TCD

In a sense, there is a "no rescue list" if you really wanted to do that. Just disappear and don't tell anyone where you are going.

Problem solved. Simple. Briliant. No one will do it because they all like the option of being rescued.

Do the people that actually do the rescues really want fines or is this an adminstrative/budget decision by managment?

Do the people that actually do the rescues really want fines or is this an adminstrative/budget decision by managment?
Moderator Intervention
If we want to discuss funding S&R let's do so in one of the many threads that were started for that purpose. This thread has gone way beyond its scope. Please continue to post here if it is relevant to this particular case.

I'm not singling out LR or any posters, and no one has done anything wrong, but this discussion has progressed beyond the topic at hand.

Gratitude is classy

Hiker Kevin McDonald's response to the 12/22/09 UL article about his rescue (at http://unionleader.com/article.aspx...icleId=d06084e2-d413-4607-9c26-09de12c6aa5c):

YOUR COMMENTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank the NH Fish and Wildlife service, in particular, Officers Brad Marsh and Mark Ober and the co-ordinating Officer Lt Todd Bogardus for the excellent service they provided. My wife and family were greatly reassured and impressed with their prompt and professional response. I fully expected no authorities would be involved until perhaps later the next day. I'd also like to thank Officer Joseph DeLuca of the Lincoln Police Department, who couldn't have done more to assist. He went out of his way, 'above and beyond' the call of duty. You gentlemen are a credit to your departments, Thank you. I hope readers will join me in making a tax-deductible donation during this season of goodwill to the NH Outdoor Council PO box 157 Kearsarge, NH 03847- Mountain Rescue.
- Kevin McDonald, Nashua

A first good step.

If you believe as I do that education is the key to lowering SAR incidents than this is a good idea.

F&G should take note that, “telling your story” (aka lessons learned) can have a huge impact on future behavior. :)

If you believe as I do that education is the key to lowering SAR incidents than this is a good idea.

F&G should take note that, “telling your story” (aka lessons learned) can have a huge impact on future behavior. :)

I might be too damned scared to tell my story, truthfully. At least not without a lawyer present.