Lunch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
How
Bringing pepperoni and crackers for lunch (if we get to it) but am looking for other ideas while on the trail - ideas that don't require a stove, you know what I mean.
Thanks a lot.;)

sardines

try a can of sardines. They are inexpensive, are generally good for you, taste great, and go down good.

I like the sardines too. I also get the foil packs of smoked oysters, shrimp, crab meat, and flavors of tuna (hickery smoked, sweet and spicy...). They are a nice size and no cans to mess with. It helps to bring a fork or spoon though. A friend of mine will make little pizzas (english muffin, sauce, cheese, and whatever) and bring that along.

Bagels keep well, use as a base for a tuna (use tuna in a packet) sandwich, adding some diced olives makes it a bit more fancy.

Any sort of flat bread, with just add water and oil hummus.

I use a screw top 16 ounce wide mouth Nalgene container as a bowl, first day I put some cold spaghetti in there and top with a home made sesame sauce. Cut some scallions onto it before eating and you have colds sesame noodles. This can be done on the trail the night before.

Good sour dough bread, with the thick crust, good cheese of your choice, flask of wine. A good dry sausage is optional, the wine is not.

Last edited:
For a dayhike, I'll make a sandwich at home and carry it in one of those plastic containers, another container for potato chips and one for seedless grapes. The containers nest together when empty and don't weigh much.

Any tubed meat ie salami, cooked sausage etc etc w/ tortias, pouch tuna, mayo packet and tortias, My favorite... canned octopus.... uuuummmm octopus.

My standard lunch this year has been slices of Cabot 75% cheese on whole wheat pita with mustard (packets obtained from Port Jeff-Bridgeport ferry snack bar :D ).

Steve

Ok, so don't laugh........I bring baked tofu--very tasty, filling, high in protein and cheap--baby carrots, snap peas, cheese and FRESH sourdough roll....hummus and babaganoosh (eggplant, lemon and seasoning spread) are good on any kind or bread. For a sweet treat with protien I bring sesame/sunflower/walnut/honey bars/no additives or preservatives--crunchy and tasty!

Four tins of kippers (smoked herring) in my pack all the time. One for lunch; two for some unplanned bivouac or other extremity; and one for the dog, for when he gets me to feeling really guilty about eating them in front of him. Better than sardines, IMO. (It's all fish to him.)

Also at least one brick of Ski Queen brand gjetost (brown Norwegian goat cheese.) It's a criminal offiense in Norway to go into the mountains without some. :)

Pilot bread (aka pilot crackers) or Wasa flatbreads, If I'm feeling really ethnic: Finn-Crisp. (Another reason my wife won't hike with me much anymore.)

Small cans of pineapple chunks, packed in whatever sugared/non-sugared version appeals to you.

Truly extravagant, on a dayhike or winter trip only: Frozen strawberries. By the time you've gained enough elevation to earn them, they're thawed and just about perfect. Open the container carefully and slurp the juice with equal caution, or the wasps and hornets will be your new trail buddies for the duration.

Hummus, yes. Babaganoosh? Not in this life or the next.

sardog1,

You don't actually eat the whole brick of that cheese do you? I was introduced to it last summer when we visited Norway. One slice of that stuff is like a meal. I gave my Dad (who is a cheese lover) a brick of that last year and he is still working on it!!!

simple is best

Cold cut sandwich and a PBR. GORP while walking. Wayne's Market has everything I need and they open early.

I'm with Sardog; smoked kippers are my morning eye-opener (!), along with instant oatmeal, and Earl Grey. One can contains half a day's protein, even more than sardines. And on those congealey-cold Fall mornings - YUM !

Just wish kippers came in a pouch, like tuna (and salmon, and crabmeat, and shrimp...). That oily, flat peel-back can seems like it would be a bear-beacon, even after a hot rinse (FAR, far from camp !), and ziplock.

Sugar snap peas sound like good trail food ! So are those net-bags of "little yellow cheese pills", which you can buy even from one-store grocers (pack out the wax!). Tried vegetarian pate on one trip, but OD'd and can't touch the stuff now. Asparagus mini-spears, anyone ?

Instant hummus mix, in 2 (nested) mini-Tupperwares: pour the day's ration from the inner and rehydrate AM in the outer.

BTW: an emptied Pringles mini-can
is a good carrier for cookies, chips or other breakables.

"Are ya hungry ? I could, um, open up a can of Ribs..."
- Woody Allen

pasties

sardines? Yuuuuuucckkkkkkk
maybe for my cats

i want to go hiking w/ some of you other guys tho - you eat too good!

how about pasties? no, not pasties... pasties.

you'd have to be a "yooper" - from the upper peninsula of michigan to know what i'm talking about, but they are great for hiking and backpacking. meat or vegie versions. hot or cold.

Re: pasties

shadowcat said:
sardines? Yuuuuuucckkkkkkk
maybe for my cats
:D

I like the the canned herring in Louisiana hot sauce. Plunk those down on some saltines...

I allso often do craisins, cheese, chocolate, pepperoni, dried fruit, etc..

Pasties????? Yuuuuuckkkkk!!! I had one when my daughter went to school in Ashland, Wisconsin. I thought they were terrible!!!!! But you can get some really good food at Grandma Grooters!

moonrock said:

Just wish kippers came in a pouch, like tuna (and salmon, and crabmeat, and shrimp...). That oily, flat peel-back can seems like it would be a bear-beacon, even after a hot rinse (FAR, far from camp !), and ziplock.

Been there, done that. Mid-February on the Ontario-Minnesota border. Dinner includes sardines and kippers. "Hey, it's mid-winter; who needs to think about bears? And we can even eat them in the tent."

Bruin showed up at about 9:00 p.m. For the next eight hours, he and my Newfoundland dog traded trash talk, with me holding the latter by the collar in the tent vestibule. And all the while the unseasonable rain ran down my arm and into my sleeping bag. Did I mention that we also fell through the ice on this trip?

. . .

And only a yooper would not give the Iron Rangers in northern Minnesota credit for knowing how to make pasties just as good, if not better. :)

Last edited: