Thread: York Pond Road Status?

York Pond Road Status?

Anyone know the status of York Pond Road?

I havent been there lately, traditionally its plowed up to the fish hatchery. As commented by many, the gate is generally left open to enable them to plow it. If it is closed, it is rarely if ever locked and worse case is that you would need to go knock on the door of the houses near the gate.

There are no guarantees that the road is plowed to the Bunnel Notch trail head from the actual hatchery buildings, but it normally is. (it was last winter)

I havent been up there this winter yet, but it's always well plowed. Bog Dam Rd, however, is gated all winter.

i've never not found it plowed at least to the parking for unknown pond trailhead (also the parking for bunnell notch/york pond trail if small area isn't plowed out in front of gate, though it was when i was there last winter). the only issue with that road is that it can be awfully icy and slippery even after it's been plowed. i recall a few slips and slides over the years.
    beautiful area to hike in the winter.

bryan
    "i lifted one foot to cross the other and i felt myself slipping, it was a small mistake, sometimes that's all it takes." - bright eyes

Do I assume correctly that it is currently plowed to the Unknown Pond Trailhead?

OK ao 1/23/10

Hi:
    Some friends of mine did Cabot via Bunnell Notch on 1/23, and reported no problems with the road.
    Ed

according to the wmg the number for the hatchery is (603) 449-3412. i'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you the current status.

bryan
    "i lifted one foot to cross the other and i felt myself slipping, it was a small mistake, sometimes that's all it takes." - bright eyes

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    according to the wmg the number for the hatchery is (603) 449-3412. i'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you the current status.

bryan
    Thanks for the suggestion and the number. I just called and it is plowed through to the trailhead and the gate is open.

Good idea by bryan...road is in good shape some icy spots..also watch for snowmachines just after the WMNF boundary marker and the bridge over the Upper Ammo...

information updated Friday 2/12 I went for a ride this AM...from the bridge, road is "white ice" with minimal sanding, so just be careful on the corners..trailheads are 7 miles from Rt. 110 and plowed..enjoy, Keith

we drove in to York Pond Trail head today...2/14...on a trip report you would call it "blue ice" in several spots once past the main hatchery( dirt road part).. had a little snow on it and a little grip and there was no problem getting to the end at 25mph or so..all parking lots plowed out
    # 44

To mirror Silverfox's comments, I was up there Saturday (2/13). Road is plowed all the way to the York Pond Trail head. The gate is apparently not used in winter as it was clearly plowed in and buried under the snow. I had 4WD and used it on the icy stretches. It's a mix of bare road and thick ice. I'd be very careful on some of the hills and corners - could definitely start to slide on spots...