Microspikes vs. 6 pointers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I already own strap on 6 point steel crampons, which I've used only a couple times on ice-coated rock trails up mountains in November.

Any advantage and reason to also pick up the microspikes, to take in my 3 late fall-spring pack? Or redundant?

I'd say it's redundant....I don't think you'll find much difference with the Microspikes. If you're already carrying those 6-pointers "just in case" throughout the fall, there's probably no need to spend more money. Then again, redundancy has never stopped me from buying new gear. ;)

I find that the microspikes do much better on mixed conditions and allow me more often to just "leave them on" as opposed to 4 or 6-point crampons, which when you get to a bare patch can be wicked clumsy. Also, on thin coatings of ice or rime I find that having the many little spikes works better than just the 4 or 6 points.

Keeping feet flat, 6 pointers would be much safer on an easy angled icy slope. Microspikes are not meant to keep you attached to a slope that you are facing. Thinking they are can lead to a rude awakening.

i agree with michael j and think that the best thing about the microspikes is their versatility on different trail conditions. walking across sections of rock, bareground, etc. isn't an issue as it may be with a more traditional crampon. for me microspikes in no way replace crampons on hard or steep ice. as eluded to by grayjay putting too much stake in them can be a mistake.

bryan

I find the microspikes to be handy for wet rocks, light rime ice, leafy trails and walking across a frozen body of water. These uses are overkill for crampons. I have used microspikes in all 4 seasons.

Since the microspikes are attached via silicone stretchy elastics and because they have small spikes, they are not suitable for serious ice climbing and could be dangerous if called upon to do that duty. I find that the spikes will "peel" off the bottom of your foot if you try to do too much with them (especially putting excessive force in directions other than front to back on your feet).

Most important difference with 6 pointers, insteps and other "part of foot" traction vs. stabilicers, microspikes, and full crampons ("whole foot") traction is that with whole foot traction you can walk relatively normally (heel-toe), whereas with part of foot traction you have to use some sort of awkward flat footed gait, which will exhaust you over long distances.

Another awesome thing about Micros is that they pull on easily over trail runners. I think they are perfect for the shoulder seasons and well worth the investment. :)

Happy Trails!

I really like the microspikes for early winter, late winter, middle of winter. They are lightweight, comfortable and work great on mixed conditions. They won't replace full crampons for above treeline steepness, but that leaves a lot of places where they work great.

I got a pair for Christmas and really couldn't be happier. They are lighter, easier to put on and take off, and easier to use than crampons. They don't do everything that crampons will, but they excel at giving traction when the trails are slick. They even allowed me to stride confidently over hard ice that was slightly inclined. Absolutely love them!!!

convinced . . .will get them . . .now when is EMS going to have yet another umpteen 20% off sale.

Well, they're $59 at EMS, and a 20% discount will bring that down to $47.20...or you could get them for $49 at Basegear.com. If you buy something else cheap from that site to bring the total to $50, you'll get free shipping.