Vermont 3,000 foot peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogorchis

Reaction score
The past two days were ideal for hiking after all the rain the end of last week. Driving up from MA, all the Green Mountains were at first covered with early morning mist, but soon we could see our favorites - Camel's Hump and Mansfield. We headed up to hike on the LT from Beaver Meadow area. Our goal - Sterling Whiteface.

I had been in there two times before, but on a very hot day, I got as far as the Whiteface shelter and decided that climbing Madonna from the Chilcoot Trail to the LT and then following the LT and bushwhacking to Morse Mountain and then on to the shelter was enough. Another trip was aborted from Beaver Meadonw due to pouring down rain. A year later I started up from Beaver Meadow but turned around due to a very painful knee.

So, I hoped that this time we would be successful. The temps were in the 50's and there were no bugs!! After a wet boggy trail to the Beaver Meadow area, we took the Whiteface Trail up to the shelter and had our lunch, enjoying the views of Madonna. Packless, we climbed steeply up to Sterling Whiteface and enjoyed the views. The views to Mansfield were so clear that we felt as if we could reach out and touch all the parts of that vast summit. Over to the Northeast, the views were good too, and we thought that we could see the asbestos mine on the side of Belvidere.

On down to the shelter we went, picked up our packs and headed south on the LT to bushwhack to the the high point on Morse Mountain. When I had done this trip several years ago, I had no problem finding the jar, but this didn't happen again. We "whacked" along the whole ridge, but found no jar.

On down to the Chilcoot Trail, which was steep and finally out to the car - a long day, but a good one with mountain views, beautiful fall asters and white turtlehead. We only met two thru hikers all day. A good trip!

Vermont 3's - Morse

Hey postrboy!

Whatever you want to do! I found the jar up there on September 1, 2000, so it is possible that it has been blown down! We could have missed it, too! Enjoy!:D :D :D :D

Are you into whackin!?

Well, I was going at it hard core until a couple of years ago, when my knees went through a bad patch! I came off Cow Ridge both peaks in Maine a couple of years ago, and declared that I wasn't going out anymore to whack. But, I only had three peaks left in VT, so since they were on trails, I had to go back. Now, I only have one left in VT and a lot in Maine. Have done all the NH 3's. My friends who I went with a lot, have done a lot of the Maine peaks, so I don't know if I will finish Maine or not! Got about 102 left on the list!:confused: :D :confused: :D :)

Great idea!

Then, we could exchange war stories. (I have a good one.) Also, find out who out there is as crazy as we are or have been! And, then we could meet fellow whackers!:D :D :D :D

Fellow whackers, count me in! How about early November? Campgrounds won't be crowded and the leaves will be off the trees. Now, where? I've still got plenty of 3K's left in all 3 NE states and there are some beauties in New York...

Cannister found

That's right,we used specially formulated Post'rboy rope to secure it!Only someone like Spiderman or Frodo could tear it down!!!!!Whack on.....MJ:D

Been there and done that - Morse!!

Hey MJ
Good searching!! Well, I found the jar in 2,000, but I don't think that I want to go back up the Chilcoot Trail just to find the register and Postr'boy's tough sounding rope! My friend can go back if she wants to!:D :D

I always carry canister refurbishing supplies when out bushwacking. This includes: glass jar with lid that has inner rubber seal (not plastic as these crack and fill with water and bears bite them), baggies, tough nylon cord, paper, pencil. A piece of flagging tape picked up in the woods is always helpful to tie on a branch near the cannister to help the next hiker. When you finish the ME 3000's there is the NH 200 highest. These are the 25 more peaks down to 2900' in elevation and I can give you the list. They all have cannisters and have been tagged personally by me in the last couple of years so they are in OK shape. A few remote ones in Pittsburg but mostly easy to get too and easy to find.