Shelburne Moriah on coldest day of 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docross

In Memoriam to a Deceased Member
Reaction score
We knew the forecast was for challenging temps and winds, but 3 of us decided to go for this NH 100 peak anyway. Carl planned to do Howe peak, a NH 200, and when he found that we could drive in on FR 95 a mile or two past the gate, we changed our Rattle River plan to the Shelburne trail.

FR 95 was nicely plowed, and we got to a yarding area to find a skidder but no crew at 8:30, probably due to the cold and wind. Our start time was delayed d/t terrible driving conditions on I 93 on the way up, with near-zero visibility forcing me to use the rumble strip as a guardrail, and finally get off at Campton for coffee and to let the squall let up.

After a short walk on the road/snowmo trail, we headed up the hiking trail. At first we thought it looked broken out, but no such luck. We were breaking 3 to 6 inches over a miserable non-supportive crust, making for slow going.

As we ascended higher, of course the temp dropped from the trailhead + 3 degrees to something lower. We donned face masks, which made for labored breathing while plodding up the steep slope. On a couple of occasions we had to put on goggles and cover all skin, especially on the summit, which we reached after 4 1/2 hours. Temp was minus 10, with reported gusts to 40 or 50 mph.

http://picasaweb.google.com/spinner2243/WinterHiking200910#5421815152021498930

No time for a leisurely lunch on top! Took a couple of pics, and started down. On the bump to the east of the summit we were nearly flattened by a gust that could've been 60 mph.

Back at the junction of Shelburne and Kenduskeag trails, Carl headed for Howe peak, and Damon and I headed down. We got back to the cars at 15:05, about 6 1/2 hours RT. After high fives in the lot, Damon moved Carl's Avalon out of the icy patch where it was parked, and up the first hill, since he would be an hour behind us and didn't want to be stuck alone.

The two of us set off down FR 95, warm and comfy, and then--about a mile from US 2 we came upon a huge hemlock blowdown completely obstructing the road. No way even to drive the Forester around it.

Option 1: walk to Rte 2 and flag someone down
Option 2: phone every one you know to see who might have a chain saw.

Taking option 2, we got the number of the Androscoggin Ranger District, who were terrific. Rebecca, I think her name was, called us back in a short time and told us a crew were on the way. She was concerned that we were warm and safe. We were fine, we said.

In about 30 minutes, Matt and Reg arrived with two Husqvarnas. The three of us (Carl had joined us by now) hauled cut branches and trunk off the road while the Forest Services guys cut.

http://picasaweb.google.com/spinner2243/WinterHiking200910#5421212253936274306

Many thanks to the Androscoggin Ranger District and Rebecca (I hope I have her name right), Matt and Reg for getting us out!:D

Should we have driven in? What would you have done? It's a 5 mile RT road walk added to the 7 mile hike on a cold and windy day.

Last edited:
Just another example of unprepared hikers getting into trouble and dialing for help.

Unprepared
Overly Ambition Itinerary
Not staying as a group
Known dangerous and deteriorating conditions.

I'd be standing by the mailbox. You'll be getting a bill soon.

No worries, I already sent them a fruit basket and a new helicopter.

Should we have driven in? What would you have done? It's a 5 mile RT road walk added to the 7 mile hike on a cold and windy day.

I think I would have driven in if the road looked good particularly with 2 cars. In windy weather it is wise to carry an axe which can cut an arbitrarily large tree in arbitrarily long time.

Another trick I used once to move a fallen tree was to use a tow chain to swing it parallel to the road, you can then cut branches off one side if necessary.

My funniest fallen tree story happened on Trails Day a few years back when maybe 20 trail workers had gathered for pizza at the pavilion at Pillsbury State Park. I was the first to leave and on my way out found a fallen tree across the exit road. Another park visitor had already reported it to the park manager, but in the time it took her to fetch a chain saw and cut it up, enough trail workers were in line behind me that we could perhaps have just carried it into the woods whole if we didn't want to get resin on the maybe 2 dozen saws and axes that we had.