Why Do We Buy Fleece

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do we buy fleece when wool is the better fiber?

• Total voters
True or false? Wool is to meat as fleece is to gasoline.

Which has the smaller ecological footprint?

Not as true as some might think - there are different breeds of sheep for wool production and meat production (in some cases, different breeds for carpet wool vs. clothing wool).

And while wool is renewable, industrial sheep farming and wool processing isn't exactly impact-free.

I do wear wool, but like everything else, answers aren't always clear.

(outside of hats and socks, the cost of gear-quality wool base layers, etc. is usually why I wind up buying fleece)

And while wool is renewable, industrial sheep farming and wool processing isn't exactly impact-free.

I do wear wool, but like everything else, answers aren't always clear.

(outside of hats and socks, the cost of gear-quality wool base layers, etc. is usually why I wind up buying fleece)

I agree. I struggle with this tradeoff on a regular basis as a vegan. I'd love to be able to buy cruelty-free wool products but I don't know of anyone making outdoor products from wool raised in a sustainable way.

True or false? Wool is to meat as fleece is to gasoline. (you can't eat wool and you can't wear gasoline, but gasoline will keep you warm for a very short while ground beef in your gas tank is a bad thing).

I'm not seeing the connection between meat & gasoline?

You can wear wool & you can wear fleece.
You can eat meat but you can't eat gasoline.

I'm also in the "other" camp as I'm vegan and don't use any animal products. A lot of people don't realize how cruel the wool industry can be. It's not like the wool in mass marketed clothing comes from nice family farms- it's factory farming. If anyone is interested in learning more, this is a quick summary of why I don't wear wool.

http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/wool.htm

I respect your choice. I'm curious; do you use down products ?

between fleece and wool ? I'd say fleece as it's a by-product of recycled petroleum based products (if you don't include the footprint of those original products) as opposed to wool which is a renewable product of methane producing, maintenance requiring lifeform. Is this a trick question ? Of course the footprint is probably more affected by transportation/distribution requirements, so it's probably all about the same.

I agree. I struggle with this tradeoff on a regular basis as a vegan. I'd love to be able to buy cruelty-free wool products but I don't know of anyone making outdoor products from wool raised in a sustainable way.

That could take some research...there is alot of local wool production in Northern New England. The yarn goes into a variety of products from clothes to tapestries. You may be limited to gloves, socks and hats.

as opposed to wool which is a renewable product of methane producing, maintenance requiring lifeform.

I wasn't going to ge there.

Is this a trick question ?

Who posted the question!

Of course the footprint is probably more affected by transportation/distribution requirements, so it's probably all about the same.

After shipping costs pound for pound wool fabric will continue to save energy over time, maybe for generations, burning a pound of fuel is done and over with, even if converted into fabric.

No fleece for me..Takes up too much room in my pack..Wool base layers...Soft shells and PrimaLoft insulation on top if needed. Shoot me, but I don't care about carbon footprints, poor sheared sheep, or recycled polyester..I wear what works for me:)

After shipping costs pound for pound wool fabric will continue to save energy over time, maybe for generations, burning a pound of fuel is done and over with, even if converted into fabric.

:confused: so, in your analysis, you are including the fuel from the original petro product used to produce the fleece but you aren't including the methane produced and fuels used in the maintenance of the animal ? I like wool, and am using it more than fleece these days for "real" outings, but I don't think it's absolutely better for the environment.

No, I don't use any down but must admit that I look longingly at those lightweight down bags every time I try to compress my -40 synthetic into my pack!

Congratulations. That can't be easy, but I do respect the choice. Personally I'm of the "if we aren't supposed to eat them, why are they made of meat" :eek: ;) ilk. (Sorry, just saying.) But I'd rather hang with an honest vegan than a hypocritical meat eater.

:confused: so, in your analysis, you are including the fuel from the original petro product used to produce the fleece but you aren't including the methane produced and fuels used in the maintenance of the animal ? I like wool, and am using it more than fleece these days for "real" outings, but I don't think it's absolutely better for the environment.

Doug Paul would be much better at those calculations than I.

I am saying the longer the wool item is used the more it reduces it's impact thus tipping the scales in it's favor.

No fleece for me..Takes up too much room in my pack..Wool base layers...Soft shells and PrimaLoft insulation on top if needed. Shoot me, but I don't care about carbon footprints, poor sheared sheep, or recycled polyester..I wear what works for me:)

What he said....I'm pretty much with Bill on this one. Naked ducks and sheep aren't an issue for me, either.

I'm also in the "other" camp as I'm vegan and don't use any animal products...

Just curious...do you use shaving cream, shampoo, ibuprofen (and pretty much anything else on the shelves in aisles 1-thru-5 at your local pharmacy)? Lots of that stuff is tested on cute little fuzzy animals.

Socks=wool. Fleece for pretty much everything else. Cheap, plentiful, and soft against the skin. Add me to the list of heathens who don't give a crap about the phrase "carbon footprint".

Last edited:
Just curious...do you use shaving cream, shampoo, ibuprofen (and pretty much anything else on the shelves in aisles 1-thru-5 at your local pharmacy)? Lots of that stuff is tested on cute little fuzzy animals.

I do my best to only buy things that are marked as not tested on animals. I've actually gotten away from buying most commercial cleaning products (even the ones touted as "green") as I'm finding that a combination of Dr. Bonner's, borax and baking soda does a good job, is super cheap and is much better for the environment.

I by no means am perfect here and don't judge others for what they do, but I try to be aware of what I consume and how it affects the world.

I do my best to only buy things that are marked as not tested on animals. I've actually gotten away from buying most commercial cleaning products (even the ones touted as "green") as I'm finding that a combination of Dr. Bonner's, borax and baking soda does a good job, is super cheap and is much better for the environment.

I by no means am perfect here and don't judge others for what they do, but I try to be aware of what I consume and how it affects the world.

Seems like you do your thing in an honest and non-hypocritical way. Good stuff.