Why Do We Buy Fleece

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do we buy fleece when wool is the better fiber?

• Total voters
I'm implying nothing. I asked for peoples thoughts. Interpret this as you see it and it looks like you have.

I am filmly in the camp of a fleece buyer because it is cheap and plentiful. I will be thinking about using more wool as a result of this poll though.

I do think some people are slaves to fashion, what's trendy and advertising. Is that good or bad? Not to the seller and not to the people that buy that are pleased with their purchase.

Rickie - I've hiked with you....you sir are not a slave to fashion! :D

I am filmly in the camp of a fleece buyer because it is cheap and plentiful. I will be thinking about using more wool as a result of this poll though.

Why do the results of this poll make you want to change to wool? All of your questions are directly or indirectly slighting fleece. No where do you have an option that states "I think fleece IS better than wool." If you had made than an option, I think the results might not have let you to the same conclusion.

All of your questions are directly or indirectly slighting fleece. ." .

The motivation for the poll is the result of a question I've asked myself. It was directed toward fleece buyers and I wanted to stimulate responses.

No where do you have an option that states "I think fleece IS better than wool

Good question, wished I had used it. I did imply that at the begining though.

the results might not have let you to the same conclusion

I buy fleece because it's cheap & plentifull, is a fact not an opinion.

Why do the results of this poll make you want to change to wool?

After reading the posts of the wool users it sounds smart and is something I've been thinking about..... using more wool clothing.

Gratuitous plug

I like both wool and fleece. No preference either way.

In my biased opinion though, definitely check out the Ibex gear as others mentioned earlier in the thread. They are one of my customers I work with at my bank, and their clothes are really nice, and they are really nice people. I can confirm that their Controller is very nice as well. (And they are fellow Vermonters too)

Evening hike last night, left both the fleece and wool behind and tried this over a baselayer - UL primaloft jacket with very thin water-resistant pertex shell (complete with ductape).

Was surprisingly happier with that layer than thick fleece like Polartec 300. Unzipped for venting when heated up. Lighter than fleece but warmer when needed. Several years old-made by REI. Weighs as much as a baselayer.

The survey and surveyor are obviously flawed and it has not scientific value. Even so this may be accepted as true by popular acceptence and become PC. Especially if enough movie stars say it's so. If enough people believe in the survey then it must be true in spite of the obvious. Then we are back to, I really don't care becaues if I feel good. :D

Have a nice weekend. :)

Last edited:
I have a couple of wool sweaters that used to be nice, but they now have some moth holes in them. Frass-inating

I have found that a few moth holes do not necessarily compromise the utility of wool garments. The problem comes when the balance starts to shift toward as much or more moth hole than intact fabric, especially in strategic spots.

G.

Picked "don't care".

Back in the 80s wool was cheap at army surplus store and the like. The itchiness didn't bother me too much. It did annoy me that the guys with 300 wt fleece dried out much quicker and didn't have to deal with mothballs. Wool also seemed to weight more (but I'm not sure about the warmth to weight ratio). And the cuffs got pulled out of shape after a few cold water dunkings followed by the rigorous wringing-out phase. (EDIT: All my wool clothes from this era were eventually accidentally shrunk, sigh)

So I got fleece as soon as I could afford it. Then I noticed that fleece melts when near campfires or when picking up a hot stove. That's annoying. The smell never bothered me or companions, but I've never hiked in the winter for more than a few days at a stretch.

Now I generally use 100 wt fleece pants and pullovers, but stick with wool for mitts and socks.

I also now find that a nice wool shirt is great for hanging around the campfire, trailwork, cutting trees, and so on. Wool feels like a more sturdy layer of protection which is nice for jobs where you can get poked and scratched.

So I got fleece as soon as I could afford it. Then I noticed that fleece melts when near campfires or when picking up a hot stove. That's annoying. The smell never bothered me or companions, but I've never hiked in the winter for more than a few days at a stretch.

Now I generally use 100 wt fleece pants and pullovers, but stick with wool for mitts and socks.
I use wind-blocking fleece gloves most of the time, but use wool gloves for cooking to avoid melting the fleece.

Doug

Last edited:
This weekend I broke out that old ski sweater. I wore a duofold turtle neck, the sweater, down vest and my rain jacket with wool finger mits, fleeced lined. Double thick synthetic watch cap. On the bottom I wore heavy cheap cotton :eek: insulated underware under my wool army pants, wool/cotten socks. Temps ranged from 4-11 degrees, very little wind. 1200 gram thinsulite boots. Nice and cozy.

It was a Boy Scout campout so I didn't sweat much.