View Poll Results: Why do we buy fleece when wool is the better fiber?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • fleece is cheap

17 28.33%
  • fleece is more available

12 20.00%
  • fleeece is lighter & I don't care if it's cold when wet

15 25.00%
  • I'm a victim of advertising

4 6.67%
  • that's what everyone else is wearing so it's cool

4 6.67%
  • wools is heavy when wet I don't care if it's warmer

8 13.33%
  • wool isn't stylish

2 3.33%
  • fleec is made from recycled junk, wool is a natually plentiful and renewable fiber, who cares

6 10.00%
  • fleece feels better

22 36.67%
  • I don't care, I wear what I like.

29 48.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Why Do We Buy Fleece

Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    I have a couple of wool sweaters that used to be nice, but they now have some moth holes in them. Frass-inating
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I have a couple of wool sweaters that used to be nice, but they now have some moth holes in them. Frass-inating
    if we have to learn German to understand your puns, well that's just too much to ask, no ?
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Fleece for Christmas: Fleece Navidad
    simple, Spanish, entertaining.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

The entomolgist in me is laughing.
    " The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator" -Louis Pasteur

I have found that a few moth holes do not necessarily compromise the utility of wool garments. The problem comes when the balance starts to shift toward as much or more moth hole than intact fabric, especially in strategic spots.

G.

Picked "don't care".

Back in the 80s wool was cheap at army surplus store and the like. The itchiness didn't bother me too much. It did annoy me that the guys with 300 wt fleece dried out much quicker and didn't have to deal with mothballs. Wool also seemed to weight more (but I'm not sure about the warmth to weight ratio). And the cuffs got pulled out of shape after a few cold water dunkings followed by the rigorous wringing-out phase. (EDIT: All my wool clothes from this era were eventually accidentally shrunk, sigh)

So I got fleece as soon as I could afford it. Then I noticed that fleece melts when near campfires or when picking up a hot stove. That's annoying. The smell never bothered me or companions, but I've never hiked in the winter for more than a few days at a stretch.

Now I generally use 100 wt fleece pants and pullovers, but stick with wool for mitts and socks.

I also now find that a nice wool shirt is great for hanging around the campfire, trailwork, cutting trees, and so on. Wool feels like a more sturdy layer of protection which is nice for jobs where you can get poked and scratched.

Quote Originally Posted by jrichard View Post
    So I got fleece as soon as I could afford it. Then I noticed that fleece melts when near campfires or when picking up a hot stove. That's annoying. The smell never bothered me or companions, but I've never hiked in the winter for more than a few days at a stretch.

Now I generally use 100 wt fleece pants and pullovers, but stick with wool for mitts and socks.
    I use wind-blocking fleece gloves most of the time, but use wool gloves for cooking to avoid melting the fleece.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 01-11-2010 at 11:09 PM.

This weekend I broke out that old ski sweater. I wore a duofold turtle neck, the sweater, down vest and my rain jacket with wool finger mits, fleeced lined. Double thick synthetic watch cap. On the bottom I wore heavy cheap cotton insulated underware under my wool army pants, wool/cotten socks. Temps ranged from 4-11 degrees, very little wind. 1200 gram thinsulite boots. Nice and cozy.

It was a Boy Scout campout so I didn't sweat much.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    wool finger mits, fleeced lined.
    Wool AND fleece? Those are some conflicted fingers!
    You donít have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things ó to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Mostly the palm, back of my hands and wrists were fleece lined. Bought them at Walmart too.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena