Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Rescued from Mt Moosilauke

Julie,

From another over-50...we must assume McRat was tongue-in-cheek the whole way.

I see Miriam Underhill's ghost turning over...

Thanks, Audrey.

No offense was meant. Someone said something similar in the WMUR comments section* and it fit in with the general absurdity.

I know 50 year old women who could outhike me any day of the week. I climbed my first mountain with my 63 year old great aunt. She was patient waiting up for me.

However, If you did feel offended, please give me a red square to request a more personal apology via pm.

* As a younger nerd, I championed the Internet for giving everyone a voice. Once the newspapers began adding 'comment sections' after the articles, I began to see a downside to that.

I think the important question is: What brand/model snowshoe was she wearing and where did it break??
    I'm just outwalkin....

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Thanks, Audrey.

No offense was meant. Someone said something similar in the WMUR comments section* and it fit in with the general absurdity.

I know 50 year old women who could outhike me any day of the week. I climbed my first mountain with my 63 year old great aunt. She was patient waiting up for me.

However, If you did feel offended, please give me a red square to request a more personal apology via pm.

* As a younger nerd, I championed the Internet for giving everyone a voice. Once the newspapers began adding 'comment sections' after the articles, I began to see a downside to that.
    Shoot, McRat, I was just about to respond to your first post that you shouldn't be worried about the men in the black coats after you but to watch out for the *people* in the white coats who are looking for you, but you've ruined it now, i.e., I agree with Audrey.

It's always good to throw in an appropriate smilie for those who may believe everything that they see in print.

Mike P. once posted an unforgettable trip plan on the AMC forum which detailed his intention to do a winter Presie traverse with his young daughter strapped to a pulk. Some of us laughed hysterically, others threatened to report him to DSS.

I just want to know the details,
    was she wearing fleece or wool?

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Thanks, Audrey.

As has been said more than once, the gene pool could use a little Chlorine!

(Geeks take note: 2**12 posts! )
    Last edited by Tom Rankin; 01-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

I was going to be offended, too, by McRatt but I figured the comments were too outrageous to be serious. I'm a 60 year old woman and I hike along occasionally.

Back on some sort of track, quite a few years back I broke a snowshoe binding on a hike when I was at my furthest point from the road -- only about 3 miles. I used some bungies for my repairs, but what I almost couldn't repair was a friendship. The slower going (as my snowshoe faced towards 2:00) caused me to be very late in helping a friend out. Boy was she mad until she heard my story. But we're still friendly to this day.

Carol's right. More details would be good.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

This isn't really a story, and I'm surprised it even made the news. When I say it isn't a story, I mean there is practically no information. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Bottom line is, she is ok. I too have wondered how I would react if I broke a snowshoe. I'd prob just turn around.
    Last edited by grouseking; 01-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.

I've had part of a snowshoe break, as have friends I've hiked with. Seen it happen within 1/4 mile of the OH summit, and on a Zealand/Bond traverse as well. Fortunately, there were enough components in the various McGyver kits - a few long nylon ties can go a long ways, and a Leatherman Micro to snip them is handy also. Also saw the top strap of a friend's pack break on the summit of Bondcliff - nylon ties to the rescue.

Regardless, it's unnerving to have an equipment failure. Never seems to happen at 10AM on a sunny day with temps in the 50's, either ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    ...Never seems to happen at 10AM on a sunny day with temps in the 50's, either ...
    Ain't that the truth, brother.
    Last edited by Billy; 01-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip pictures

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    There isn't a lot of info in that article, except for a quote from F&G saying that they were GLAD she used the beacon.
    From the beacon, F&G knew that someone requested help in a relatively accessible place, they were probably relieved when they got there it was a simple issue not a broken leg or a heart attack

It would have been tougher for them if they got a call at midnight saying "my wife went hiking in the White Mtns and didn't come back" where they would have had to search all trailheads for her car then perhaps search multiple trails from that trailhead starting in the wee hours

Of course it would have been even easier for F&G if she had just walked out but from the hour she might have been struggling for a long time and finally given up, maybe this is Yuppie 911 and maybe it isn't depending on her ability to do so

Quote Originally Posted by audrey View Post
    I see Miriam Underhill's ghost turning over...
    Miriam Underhill is famous for guideless climbing and manless climbing, but I don't recall that solo was her thing

Nope, Billy. Some things are obvious, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking. Let's keep the fun going and the smilies to help when other's might not "get it."
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    ... some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking....
    Who gets to tell Ed Hawkins?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking.
    My dad didn't get the memo either. He gave up on doing full-distance Ironman races a year or so ago, but he's retiring to Arizona this summer (if all goes well) so that he hike the Grand Canyon whenever the mood strikes him, maybe several times a week.

You're only as old as you let yourself be.
    East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', we gonna do what 'They' say can't be done.
    We gotta long way to go, and a short time to get there, I'm east bound just watch ole' Bandit run. - Jerry Reed