Fatality from falling in spruce traps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I was just reading this article of the recent death of a ski instructor that apparently fell head first into a spruce trap and died. This is a very tragic accident that probably occurs yearly to backcountry skiers.

The cause of death is not yet known. The Pilot reported that McNeil was found with approximately 2 feet of snow over her head in a tree well — or areas of loose snow at the base of evergreen trees — on the side of the run. Her body was positioned in a downward angle, with her head lower than her feet. She was wearing a helmet, and no obvious head injury has been reported. McNeil was last seen by her friends at skier's right of the Big Meadow area. Her friends skied down to the Bar UE chair lift, but McNeil never showed up.

For the many hikers that have wallowed in spruce traps with snowshoes can attest, it’s can be a daunting prospect extricating yourself. If nothing else this recent death brings to light a very real danger for off trail hikers this time of year (especially with the recent light and fluffy snow).

Has anyone heard of the death of a hiker by exposure, suffocation or the like after falling in a spruce trap?

definately. one or 2 snowboarders a few years ago on Marcy died of head planting spruce traps. I've mentioned this before; on my first winter ascent of Marcy about 35 :eek: years ago there were papers plastered around the woods with "Have you seen this man" and his picture. He was by himself that winter, got off the trail (probably to pee) and was found in the spring.

Has anyone heard of the death of a hiker by exposure, suffocation or the like after falling in a spruce trap?
No, but I can also imagine exhaustion or a heart attack trying to get out

Note that if you fall in head first you may pass out much sooner than if you fall in feet first

Not a fatality, but a SAR colleague on snowshoes went into a tree well in WA wearing a pack and went upside down. She was able to call us on her chest-pack radio. She could not extricate herself. It might have been a very bad thing -- in those days we dog handlers worked alone a lot of the time, as she was then.

The headfirst-into-a-tree-well scenario seems to affect skiers out west much more often than backcountry users in the east, and it can be quickly fatal.

That said, I can certainly imagine how a spruce-trap fall could be the beginning of a series of events in which a snowshoer could die. I got into one myself on Mt. Mansfield about ten years ago that took me at least an hour to get out of.

It's a horrifying thought.

...And I don't see how someone could fall head first when hiking. It is such a slow going when the snow is deep.

Falling head first while hiking would be less likely (IMO), but not inconceivable.

As the snow adjacent to any spruce traps consolidates, it’s able to support more of your weight than snow being supported by the tree’s branches. As you’re walking off trail a stick/branch/debris under the snow snags your snowshoe and you fall forward into the trap.

Granted, more likely would be falling feet first with snowshoes on and having them entangled in the branches. Exhaustion ensues as you flounder about leading to hypothermia over time.

Falling head first while hiking would be less likely (IMO), but not inconceivable.

As the snow adjacent to any spruce traps consolidates, it’s able to support more of your weight than snow being supported by the tree’s branches. As you’re walking off trail a stick/branch/debris under the snow snags your snowshoe and you fall forward into the trap.

Granted, more likely would be falling feet first with snowshoes on and having them entangled in the branches. Exhaustion ensues as you flounder about leading to hypothermia over time.
I agree, unlikely, but not impossible. You trip and stumble sideways, your arm is behind you, you go in head first and hit a rock, bang. Fortunately, I've never gone in face first, but I've been over my head in snow. That was bad enough.

Another reason to never hike alone in Winter....

I don’t necessary see it as an issue of should or should not. I see it more of an education issue.
The more you know the better prepared you’ll be. Avoidance is about knowledge, IMO.

IIRC, Mohammed had a pretty good incident report about spruce traps on a trip of his.

That's why I don't wear snowshoes in the first place.

unless you are drunk.....

I also don't drink while wearing snowshoes. Dangerous.

I don’t necessary see it as an issue of should or should not. I see it more of an education issue.
The more you know the better prepared you’ll be. Avoidance is about knowledge, IMO.

Craig, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I see it as an issue of spruce traps SHOULD be avoided, but can't always be, regardless of your preparation or knowledge, which is why I'd rather have a hiking partner with me in the winter. :)

In this discussion, we should differentiate spruce traps from tree wells. A spruce trap is an area of unconsolidated snow that results from the air spaces among bushy spruce branches. A tree well is a deep, fairly solid walled cone of air that develops around the base of the trunk of a large tree (usually no bushy branches involved).

Either type of "trap" can be a problem to get out of, especially for the traveler with some kind of snow equipment (shoes, skis, board) on their feet, and most especially if they end up head down in the trap. However, tree wells are generally the more dangerous, due to the relatively solid walls and the depth. Snow falls in after the person, and the head down person can easily suffocate. Those most at risk are snowboarders, because they do not have independent feet, which makes escape more difficult.

Tree wells are much more common in the west than in the east, because they require large, well separated trees and lots of snow to develop to a dangerous depth.

TCD

IIRC, Mohammed had a pretty good incident report about spruce traps on a trip of his.
After spider solo and I winter hiked/bushwacked Isolation (both solo, several hours apart) several years ago and both fell into deep spruce traps (mine was chest deep, IIRC his was deeper), spider gave me a quick tutorial on how to get out. Basically the idea is to pull snow down from the sides and pack it under you to gain enough elevation to crawl out. (You can also lay packs and poles down for extra flotation. Snow shoes can be used as shovels and flotation for your hands as well as your feet.)

I have also been caught hanging upside down with my foot under a snow slab/crust. I smashed the slab/crust with my ice axe to escape.

Doug

That's why I don't wear snowshoes in the first place.

I also don't drink while wearing snowshoes. Dangerous.

upside_down.jpg

Craig, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I see it as an issue of spruce traps SHOULD be avoided, but can't always be, regardless of your preparation or knowledge, which is why I'd rather have a hiking partner with me in the winter. :)

I was only trying to deflect a possible discussion about hiking solo in winter. We know how those turn out. :)
Hiking solo in winter with ALL of its added problems requires more knowledge of the possible dangers. Most of that knowledge is gained through experience. It’s nice when folks can get a heads up about rarely discussed issues.

After spider solo and I winter hiked/bushwacked Isolation (both solo, several hours apart) several years ago and both fell into deep spruce traps (mine was chest deep, IIRC his was deeper), spider gave me a quick tutorial on how to get out. Basically the idea is to pull snow down from the sides and pack it under you to gain enough elevation to crawl out. (You can also lay packs and poles down for extra flotation. Snow shoes can be used as shovels and flotation for your hands as well as your feet.)

I have also been caught hanging upside down with my foot under a snow slab/crust. I smashed the slab/crust with my ice axe to escape.

Doug

I have also used poles together to try and gain extra purchase for my arms. The problem is when you’re wearing snowshoes and they’re tangled amongst the debris.

The headfirst-into-a-tree-well scenario seems to affect skiers out west much more often than backcountry users in the east, and it can be quickly fatal.

That said, I can certainly imagine how a spruce-trap fall could be the beginning of a series of events in which a snowshoer could die. I got into one myself on Mt. Mansfield about ten years ago that took me at least an hour to get out of.

It's a horrifying thought.

I had a similar experience 6 years ago on Mansfield. I was trying to take a shortcut down from the ridge to an equipment shack I could see below. It was just after a heavy snow and the ensuing floundering was wicked. I couldn’t climb back up from where I came so I had to continue downward falling into more and more traps. That was a nightmare.

Two years ago I tried to climb Waumbek after a nearly 3-foot snowstorm the day before made the ridge between Waumbek & Starr King 6+ feet deep with higher drifts. I fell into a spruce trap all the way up to my neck. I was with a group and I asked them to hold off on helping me out because I wanted to see if I could get out on my own.

I absolutely could not get out despite about fifteen minutes of trying as hard as possible. I couldn't even reach down to remove my snowshoes. The whole incident freaked me out a bit and now I refuse to hike in deep snow conditions in the winter solo.

The problem is when you’re wearing snowshoes and they’re tangled amongst the debris.
Just adds to the fun...

Now you know why spruce tree branches point downward--to hold on to snowshoes. (And shame on you if you thought it was to shed snow and water... Tsk, tsk. :) )

Doug

Anyone got Bear Whats-his-name's address? We can write and ask him to demonstrate proper procedure. I believe it includes removing clothing and eating the branches. ;)

Yes, It's quite possible to find yourself upside down or at most any awkward angle. When we are hiking or shoeing with a backpack we are essentially quite top heavy.
Though we tend to think we would fall forward, it is just as likely that we tip over backward more and more into the hole... something like a turtle that can't right itself.

In the situation that Doug Paul mentions I was fortunate enough to be mostly upright. I carried a snow shovel that day, something you hardly see anybody do, and often I don't, but if you know you're really going to be "pushing the envelope" ...solo and off trail, it can come in mighty handy. I didn't so much dig myself out as shovel myself in until I had something under me.

Very sorry to read of her death so sorry for all who knew her family and friends, though we may never know them.