Favorite Podcasts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Got a favorite podcast? One of mine is "Dirtbag Diaries." They've got a new web TV program called The Season, which begin later in January. I recommend you check it out. If it's half as good as Dirtbag Diaries, you'll wish it came out everyday! http://vimeo.com/8442815

Last edited:
I don't have any podcasts I grab on a regular basis, although have given some thought to listening to Jon Stewart more as it's not convenient to listen to his TV broadcast.

I'm a big fan of Terry Gross, and sometimes I spot interviews on the 'net I haven't heard before. Same is true of Ira Glass' productions - he produced 2 or 3 segments back when the subprime mess first hit the fan, and the reporters did a superb job of demystifying the financial hocus-pocus and explaining how and why it occurred.

Got a favorite podcast? One of mine is "Dirtbag Diaries." They've got a new web TV program called The Season, which begin later in January. I recommend you check it out. If it's half as good as Dirtbag Diaries, you'll wish it came out everyday! http://vimeo.com/8442815

That looks pretty cool....I'll have to check it out.

I like checking out Practical Backpacking, and Les Stroud's video blogs.

Last edited:
It's been good to have an idea of what others are listening to/seeing for podcasts related to *our* favorite outdoor activities. In addition to what I listed in beginning this thread, here are some others:

Amateur Traveler (sometimes is just travel related, but other times is on topic for this site, such as #63, Trekking in the Himmalayas in India and #205 Travel to Nepal and Everest)

For the Birds (has short essays on the birds we see, including the "Norwegian Bachelor, ie the Chickadee. These are done by Laura Erikson; she speaks a little slowly and precisely but has interesting tidbits to impart. A little short for my tastes.)

National Parks Traveler Podcast (sometimes video, sometimes not)

Nature Stories Podcast

Yosemite Nature Notes (video - I especially liked the one on climbing Half Dome)

I like them to be at least 20 minutes long.

Must be specific about your questions?

I guess you have to be more specific about what you are asking. I thought you were asking what was your favorite Podcast, but after seeing all the posts that were deleted, I guess you really were asking "What is your favorite Podcast" that deals with VFTT moderator approved topics only.

I listen to (what will remain unnamed favorite) podcast while I hike. Walking down the Lincoln Woods (Wilderness) Trail for the hundredth time, I find the MP3 player a very useful piece of equipment.

Live Free and Hike (while wearing earbuds)...Walker

Moderator's comment:
The podcasts don't have to be 'moderator approved' but they should be related to hiking or related to other board activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since many, many folks here drive long distances to get to and from trailheads (myself included) and are often tired on the way there and the way home, I find that certain podcasts(previously named, but deleted and now to remain un-named due to being not hiking related) can be an excellent way to keep me awake and energized on the road to and from the trail, even if they aren't just about hiking. Also with the right topics it can make for cool conversation about non-hiking related things if you have carpool partners.

There are tons of free podcasts available that are perfect for long car trips. Most of the coolest ones have nothing to do with hiking.

Since many, many folks here drive long distances to get to and from trailheads (myself included) and are often tired on the way there and the way home, I find that certain podcasts(previously named, but deleted and now to remain un-named due to being not hiking related) can be an excellent way to keep me awake and energized on the road to and from the trail, even if they aren't just about hiking....

Good eye, TC. My post about NH Fish & Game's podcast called "Radio Diner" got deleted, for whatever reason. I guess Fish & Game is off topic here.

bob

Dentonfabrics: Do you "subscribe" to Radio Diner or download each individually? Looks like it is an interesting podcast.

Another thing I've done is download podcasts of classes from universities and colleges. While not technically hiking related, the ones on Social Psychology from UC Berkeley have helped me understand my own personality and that of others I meet in the groups I hike with or meet up with. A friend has listened to classes on Geology and Astronomy, which could also add to a person's hiking experience. And improve conversations while traveling, right Toe Cozy?. :p

Last edited:
Dirtbag Diaries

Ditto on Dirtbag Diaries. I've downloaded them all to my Droid and have been listening to them on my subway commute. Great mix of stories across a discipline of outdoor activities - climbing, cycling, white water rafting, adventure racing, adventure travelling etc... Great to hear what got other people into their sport, how they view it, their adventures, etc... Alot of the stories seem to happen out West. Would love to hear some episodes that deal with the Northeast.

I second recomendation for trailcast.org. They are getting a few years old but for long distance hikers or people who are considering it, he interviewed a lot of the big names of long distance hiking. Great warmup for AT hikers

Dentonfabrics: Do you "subscribe" to Radio Diner or download each individually? Looks like it is an interesting podcast.

:p

It's a great podcast. For some reason, iTunes doesn't pick it up so it's only available on the F&G website. I'm not sure if F&G offers a subscribe option like iTunes does.

If you want to go back a few months, check out last Octobers podcast about wild cats. Great info there about lynx, bobcats, etc.