skier rescued in Waterville Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geographical statements in that article are not consistent. Livermore trail system implies Livermore Road (groomed) and Livermore Trail (through Mad River Notch past the Tripyramids). Flume Brook is a back country trail, I believe. None of these are anywhere near Tripoli Road, except that the parking area (Livermore/Depot Camp) is on the corner of Tripoli, where it is groomed for the winter, and gated right below the Mount Osceola Trail trailhead.

http://www.waterville.com/wvnordicassets/images/main/nordicmap_large.jpg

This sounds like Doug Paul's favorite loop :D

Tim

Flume Brook is a brook; there's also a trail of the same name. I've marked two points on the brook (the article said he got lost in the woods, didn't say he was on a trail when found) on a map

The western point (A) is neer Greely Pond trail and the Flume Brook trail; the easterly one (B) is very close to Livermore Road. Not sure if they measured the "two and a half miles" from the parking lot on trails or as the crow flies, but the easterly one seems like a decent match.

IIRC, the Flume Brook Trail connects the Kettles area (off of Livermore Rd) with the Greeley Pond Trail.

JohnL

Flume Brook is a brook; there's also a trail of the same name. I've marked two points on the brook (the article said he got lost in the woods, didn't say he was on a trail when found) on a map

The western point (A) is neer Greely Pond trail and the Flume Brook trail; the easterly one (B) is very close to Livermore Road. Not sure if they measured the "two and a half miles" from the parking lot on trails or as the crow flies, but the easterly one seems like a decent match.
Actually Flume Brook Tr leaves from Greely Pond Tr just S of the bridge over Flume Brook, a bit W of your point A. (Kancamagus Brook Tr leaves from the back of the clearing just N of the bridge over the brook.)

Your map point B marks the junction of Kancamagus Brook Trail and Livermore Rd/Tr. Flume Brook Tr follows the south side of Flume Brook (S of Mt Flume) to the Flume. The Old Skidder Trail connects from just below the Flume to just above the switchback on Livermore Rd/Tr.

If you expand the map one step, the above will become clearer. (The Old Skidder Tr is not shown.)

The upper part of Livermore Rd has been renamed Livermore Tr. (To some of us old timers, it is still Livermore Rd...)

Doug

Last edited:
Cool map. However, how accurate is it? I looked at the AT in Maine, and it has the AT at places it is not.

I'm betting he'll have a headlamp the next time he goes out. I never go out in the woods without one, no matter how long I think the hike is.

This makes me think of a recent hike to the Tri-Pyramids, when we came out on Livermore Road we passed a cross-country skiier the was out on Livermore Road in total darkness, without a light source. He didn't look lost...guess he just liked skiing in the dark. :confused:

Acme Mapper recently switched to maps from MyTopo, which incorporate a few corrections compared to the USGS maps they're based on (the Osseo Trail is finally right!), but not many. Beware of rerouted trails and missing bridges and shelters. I generally print out an Acme map (for the terrain detail) and mark it up with trail and shelter info from a more recent source (like an AMC map).

Last edited: