Microspikes vs. StabilIcers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Microspikes vs stabilicers

lx93 you'll probably get a bunch of answers on this; here's mine: I've got both, used the stabilicers a few times, got microspikes, now the 'icers are resigned to my storage box. I've found the microspikes to have better traction on icy stuff, weigh less, pack much smaller, and are far easier and quicker to put on. Not a substiture for real crampons, but in the shoulder seasons and to have in the pack for below treeline hikes in case of icy conditions on packed trails, they're great. On such trails I seldom need them because I also use Sherpas with the Tucker claw, but nevertheless, IMHO, Microspikes are the hands down winner.
Keep the spikes down and the head up!
John

lx93 you'll probably get a bunch of answers on this; here's mine: I've got both, used the stabilicers a few times, got microspikes, now the 'icers are resigned to my storage box. I've found the microspikes to have better traction on icy stuff, weigh less, pack much smaller, and are far easier and quicker to put on. Not a substiture for real crampons, but in the shoulder seasons and to have in the pack for below treeline hikes in case of icy conditions on packed trails, they're great. On such trails I seldom need them because I also use Sherpas with the Tucker claw, but nevertheless, IMHO, Microspikes are the hands down winner.
Keep the spikes down and the head up!
John

I pretty much agree with the above except that I found the Velcro straps slightly easier to put on. I would also give the Stableicers a slight advantage in somewhat unconsolidated snow because of the longer crampons. The big advantage as mentioned of the microspikes is that they take almost no space at all in your pack when you are not wearing them and they are lighter when you are wearing them and as mentioned they do grip better on ice.

Microspikes:Hiking Stabilicers:Snowblowing

Tim

^ Very accurate

I have both and haven't even looked at the stabilicers since I got the microspikes.

To play devils advocate: I have heard that microspikes are very good for winter jogging / dog walking on icy roads/paths. Still; they can't compete with the microspikes in the mountains.

bignslow;306136 I have heard that microspikes are very good for winter jogging / dog walking on icy roads/paths. [/QUOTE said:
Microspikes are awesome for trail running in ice and snow, too. Tried doing it with the Stablicers, but they were much too heavy.

Microspikes rock, as do the Kahtoola Steel Crampons!

Marty

No question

I'll join the chorus: I own both and once I tried microspikes there was no going back. I wrote a review of them on this site when they first came out

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20704

For what it's worth, popular opinion seems to agree. I hiked Monadnock yesterday and saw lots and lots of microspikes but nary a single pair of stabilicers.

Check out a poll I posted on ROT a while ago: "Stabilicers or Microspikes?" My vote: No comparison - Stabilicers do not grip slippery spots OR stay attached to your boots nearly as well as Microspikes - get a pair of 'spikes on sale and you will not regret it.

Last edited:
Another vote (actually 2) for Microspikes. Very easy to put on and take off. Plus, after a couple of years of very moderate use, the Stabilicer Velcro was getting all mucked up with dirt, dog hair, etc.
I also found that the Stabilicer straps weren't very compatible with a pair of favorite winter boots and squashed my toes.
So, no contest.

Durability

Another vote for m.s. although the jury is still out on how long either will last.

In my experience, I've had to replace one or more screws on my stabilicers after almost every hike. I'm still on my original pair of microspikes with no maintenance or repairs. Some of the regulars at Monadnock have had things break on theirs microspikes but their experience has been that the company is very good at replacing them, no questions asked.

definately Microspikes.

The Stabilicers didn't feel all that stable to me. Also, for me the fit wasn't good. Maybe I am between sizes.

The Microspikes pack smaller. My concern about the Microspikes is if it is possible that the points crack or rust. Has anyone had that happen yet?

Last winter, a hiking companion lost almost half of the Stabilicer screws on day 1 of a 3 day trip. She told me it was no big deal because the screws are replacable. On day 2, she told me that she left the spare screws at home. :eek: