Why I love REI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
I've been a loyal REI customer and member for a number of years but my experience last week really sealed the deal. Last weekend we went to the garage sale at the Cranston RI store. For anyone not familiar REI runs these sales every few months to sell returned merchandise at huge discounts. We've gotten many great GS deals in the past and always go. We got there a bit late to avoid the crowds breaking down the doors (it gets worse every time) and weren't expecting to find much left. I went to the shoe section first like I always do (we've gotten 3 pairs of $120 hiking boots for $20 in past sales). I was amazed to find a new looking pair of Lowa mountaineering boots that looked like my size sitting on the shelf. Checked the tag and not only were they my size, they were brand new. Checked the list price for Lowa Cristalo X Pro GTX on the web and found out that these were $380 boots priced at $124! SOLD!

Now I have to say that I didn't really need mountaineering boots (unless we start doing more serious winter hiking) but these were too good a deal. I wore them three times the next few days on our morning walk in the woods to break them in. They were awesome - really warm and comfortable. First day with snowshoes, next with microspikes and the next bare-boot. Then the problem. Got 1/2 way through the hike and noticed that one boot was unlaced. Went to relace it and saw that one of the lace hooks had broken off! Brand new $380 boots after just over 5 miles? Yikes!

I know that REI garage sales are "all sales final - no returns" deals, but these were brand new never worn boots with the tags still on them and the Lowa 12 month warranty so next day I head back to REI. Told the story to the clerk and he calls the manager. Tell the story again and the manager points out to me that this was a garage sale purchase and not subject to return. But I don't want a return, I want Lowa to fix the boot. He gets Lowa on the phone and after a very quick conversation says that the Lowa warranty doesn't apply to REI. They give REI low prices and it's up to REI to deal with product problems. REI will of course replace or refund any product forever - except garage sale items. Damn. Is it really possible that in this kind of situation a company like Lowa won't stand behind their product? Apparently so. I was clearly showing my frustration at this point and the manager told me that he wanted me to be happy and offered to give me a refund (even though he didn't have to). As much as I would have preferred to have the boots fixed this was sure better than losing $125. It's customer service like this that will make me an REI customer for life - and why Lowa has lost one.

mark - those that embrace good customer service just know how to do it.

As far as Lowa is concerned - it's their product and they should have stood behind it. Sour taste is justified!

Did you consider perhaps having a boot maker fix it? Shouldn't of had to with new boots but given the deal that you got, it might be worth if if you liked the boots...

Jay

So I walk into this REI Garage sale and I see this great pair of Lowa boots, brand new except for one missing lace hook...

Last edited:
Retail - Gray market

There is a term in retail - Gray market - which is when a manufacturer sells a product to a retailer at a lower price and in return the retailer is responsible for warranty. Sears has done this for many years with appliances and electronics. I have not had good results with this type of relationship, so once I'm aware of that, I avoid those stores for that particular type of merchandise.

I'm sorry to hear that REI has been doing that. They probably can pull it off better than other retailers because of their overall great customer service. However, in the case of the garage sale Lowa's, you probably got the best possible outcome given that background.

Jay - I did consider the boot maker idea and in fact the manager at REI even said that they have someone on the west coast that they use that could have possibly done it. I just figured it wasn't worth the hassle at that point since I had the refund option.

cbcbd - If you're a size 10-1/2 get the the garage sale in Cranston early next month and you just may have that chance ;)

expat - Normally I would agree but since REI backs everything they sell new (forever) it's not really an issue. They will take a return on something that just wears out after a couple of years just because you think it should have held up longer (which is evidenced by stuff that shows up at the garage sales). Many customers obviously abuse the policy and return things that have just normally worn out or were damaged due to neglect. Last spring there was a backpack at one of the garage sales that had been chewed by a bear. Given that it is certainly reasonable that garage sale items are all "as-is" and gray market or not their regular product line is all top brands, good prices and satisfaction guaranteed forever. Hard to beat that combination

Interesting. I have an REI membership at that very same store in Cranston, RI and they made no attempt to contact me about this garage sale. I would think they'd have sent an e-mail to all members.

Interesting. I have an REI membership at that very same store in Cranston, RI and they made no attempt to contact me about this garage sale. I would think they'd have sent an e-mail to all members.
REI has never contacted me about garage sales. They are announced on the "REI Classes, Events and Presentations" page from the store page.

The garage sales are already a mob scene, they don't need to announce them... One of the salesmen told me that some people camped overnight in line to be at/near the head of the mob.

Doug

Last edited:
The REI store here in Richmond alerted me to the garage sale a week in advance but I was going out of town and was unable to attend.

I have heard about the mob scenes at other stores and wonder if getting there before the store opens is worth the hassle ?

I hate them because they moved out of NYC 15 years ago. Haven't bought anything from REI since.

Does anyone know why REI hasn't opened any stores in NH? Competition with EMS? It would seem that the proximity to the mtns would be a selling point but obviously not. I like the products but would not buy something without trying it on. Traveling to Reading and then paying MA sales tax is not a great option. I emailed the headquarters but never got a reply.

Jay - I did consider the boot maker idea and in fact the manager at REI even said that they have someone on the west coast that they use that could have possibly done it.

REI uses Dave Page for their warranty work - he does superb work. Have not needed him and his staff to do any warranty work, but they've resoled my Norwegian welt Raichle's three times over the years. Am VERY satisified with his work. The re-soles are better than the original.

KRobi - as to why REI isn't in northern NE - my hunch is that partly it's a distance thing. They're a huge coop based in Bellingham, Washington, which is just about as far away from NH as you can get. They have a huge presence in the West; not so much in the East.

Also - coops aren't driven by the same dynamics as a company with stockholders.

Last edited:
I hate them because they moved out of NYC 15 years ago. Haven't bought anything from REI since.
I've been a member since 1970. I hated them when they first opened a store in NY, Nyack I believe, because then I had to pay NYS tax. Of course now, even though there are no longer any stores in NY, the state still collects tax on items delivered to NY.

REI is a much different company now than it was in 1970. The catalog actually catered to a much harder core of outdoor folk, and the catalog included several pages of useful tips and stories - it was actually worth keeping for reference. REI and EMS were catalog competitors, but REI had the edge with its dividends. Then for several years EMS stopped publishing any catalogs and had no mail service at all.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Disclaimer; I work for the Reading Ma REI. My opinion does not neccesarily reflect that of REI blah, blah, blah.

Now then,

mtruman;
I'm glad you had a good experience. The fact that we as employees are allowed (even encouraged) to go above and beyond to satisfy costomers was a driving reason in my working for REI.
Any company that has a few dozen or more stores can place big enough orders to cut a deal like the one with Lowa. I understand if you had boots that were broken in you would want to have them repaired, but most big companies would rather just give you a new pair rather than deal with some manufacturers warranty department.

paul ron;
That was the New Rochelle store we closed. This was before my time, so this info comes from those who were with REI then. I know this won't make it right and you may or may not care. It's actually a little embarassing. That store was broken into so many times it became not worth the constant repairs.

KRobi;
REI is really conservative about moving into northern New England. You've got EMS, LL Bean, IME, Ragged, Wild Things, need I go on.
REI'll get there, they just need to find the right location.

Joe.

REI is a much different company now than it was in 1970. The catalog actually catered to a much harder core of outdoor folk, and the catalog included several pages of useful tips and stories - it was actually worth keeping for reference.

Those catalogs were great. I bought my first external frame backpack and a 60/40 parka from REI in the '70's. Should have kept the parka--4 bids on Ebay right now for one much like it in auction ending in 90 minutes. The vintage market isn't lucrative but it's certainly active.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-70s-REI-60-...ptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item5ad627c0f2

Auction update: it went for $36.99, much more than I paid for it. Anybody know whether it's the REI label or just vintage outdoor clothing in general that motivates the interest?

Last edited:
KRobi;
REI is really conservative about moving into northern New England. You've got EMS, LL Bean, IME, Ragged, Wild Things, need I go on.

Joe.

Tell them I know a nice place on Lower Main St in Freeport. Closest thing is EMS in Portland. LL Bean is a good store but there's no way they compete head to head with REI or EMS on anything approachong technical gear.

Sign up for the monthly events email newsletter. This includes all the classes and other store events including the garage sales.

mtruman;
I'm glad you had a good experience. The fact that we as employees are allowed (even encouraged) to go above and beyond to satisfy costomers was a driving reason in my working for REI.
Any company that has a few dozen or more stores can place big enough orders to cut a deal like the one with Lowa. I understand if you had boots that were broken in you would want to have them repaired, but most big companies would rather just give you a new pair rather than deal with some manufacturers warranty department.

KRobi;

Joe - it seems like most REI employees feel the way you do. I've never been to any store where all of the sales people seem so genuinely interested in helping. As for my boots I didn't care about whether they were repaired or replaced - I just didn't want to lose the great deal I got on them. I never would have expected REI to bear the cost of either repair or replacement since they were garage sale items. I was just shocked that Lowa wasn't even willing to consider supporting a defective pair of brand new boots regardless of the circumstances.

As to REI being conservative about moving into northern NE I don't think they have anything to fear. Freeport might be a bit of a tough spot ;) but I think they would have no trouble competing with all of the other places on the list on their home turf. Once people understand both the level of service at REI and the fact that they stand behind everything that they sell forever they become REI customers forever (like me).

How about North Conway, right next to EMS?

I used to be a die-hard EMS fan in the olden days, but for the last 20 years or so, they've occupied a spot in my mind right next to Friendly Ice Cream, KFC and other outlets that just can't miss opportunities to miss opportunities. Last year, I couldn't find parachute-style snow-stakes at their brandy-new, glittering, Walmart-sized NConway store..., and then found four different types at the hole-in-the-wall IME in downtown NC. It was exactly the kind of thing about EMS that frustrates. REI could kick their butts any time, anywhere..., and that's pathetic.

On a brighter note, how 'bout that IME?! Or the North Country Angler? Or Peg's Diner, or Limmer, or Kringles, or any of a dozen other retailers who do an awesome job?

REI could do just fine up there.

Received the below message from Peter Sachs, General Manager of LOWA Boots:

LOWA compensates REI for all warranty claims, in advance via an allowance at the time we sell them boots. We expect REI to work with their customers, regardless of the price paid by the consumer to REI for any given product. It is not our goal to have the consumer caught between the policies of the companies, but in the case of REI, they do need to solve the problem directly with the consumer.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Sachs
General Manager
LOWA Boots LLC
203-353-0116 X 13