Dion Snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
Since we are discussing all the problems, and a few positive features, of various brands of snowshoes, I thought I would ask what experience people have had with Dion snowshoes. I searched this site and didn't find much. They are made in Vermont and seem to have some good design features, price is competitive or on the upper end, but how do they perform in northeast conditions and do they hold up?

Interesting, but I emailed them for more info, like a picture of the backside of their #121/#168 frame, no pictures of the back crampon.

[Bob Dion] Back crampon is aircraft grade aluminum with Teflon hardcoat [jay, trying to get him to send me photo]

Whether they offer a deep ice cleat/SS crampon?

[Bob Dion] The "ice cleat" is the same size as the "deep" cleats

Whether they use AL or SS rivets or bolts/nuts on the binding?

[Bob Dion] Where needed... [jay - awaiting more clarification as to what is "where needed"]

Whether they offer a buckle ala MSR rather than tension strap things...

[BD] Didn't say other than reiterate the "won't loosen".

Awaiting an answer...

Jay

p.s. should of asked him if he's related to Celine...

Last edited:
Not sure about hiking but their running snowshoes get quite a bit of positive feedback.

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/dion-snowshoes.html

This site actually has better photos than Dion's, it has pictures of the underside of the frame at least.

Can't extract any more info from the company, oh well, but it looks interesting. Heaver than the NLs though, by almost a lb for the comparible size snowshoe pair... :)

p.s. turns out there is a store in New Paltz that carries them, can check a pair out the next time I'm there....

Jay

Last edited:
I have worn Dions for snowshoe racing for over 5 years now and have had very good luck with them. I broke a cleat or two when I first got them, but Bob has redesigned the cleats using better materials and processes and I haven't broken one in 4 years. I do not have the hiking model, but I have done many runs above treeline in the Presis with them and they have held up very well.