How to make skiis less slippery

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CINDERSMOM

Reaction score
Here is the problem: I work with a little girl who uses a walker. Last week we put a pair of cut down - downhill skiis on an old walker so she can go and play in the snow at recess with her classmates. The problem is that her dry-land walker has wheels that only go straight ahead and the rear wheels have anti-reverse brakes so they don't go backwards. With the ski-walker the skis go sideways, backwards and forwards making it quite a bit more difficult for her to stay in control. So any ideas on how to slow down the skiis or make them only go straight - not sideways or backwards?? Thanks Nancy

Using skins will make the skis go slower. Not sure if that helps you out though.

If you take the center channel of the ski and gouge it out even further you'll have a deep groove running down the length of the ski. Then if you glue in an appropriate diameter wooden dowel you will have essentially created a "keel" for the ski which will minimize side slippage. And since the wood of the dowel will not be as slippery as the ski bottom, it will slow it down some too. If it isn't slow enough you could try roughing up the bottoms with a file.

I thought about skins but money is an issue. Thanks to all who replied. I like the idea of a groove with a dowel on the bottom. Thanks again Nancy

Replace the downhill skis with short (kids' model?) waxless XC skis. The narrower XC skis (with a groove) will generally track better than downhill skis. The waxless pattern (the longer the better) will slide forward but create a lot of drag if you try to slide them backward.

Use a very soft ski or a ski with a minimal-to-no camber--you want the pattern on the snow as much as possible. (One normally flattens the ski with one's weight--in this case, there will be very little weight on the skis.) Cutting the end of the tails off might also help. (Seal the cut end with epoxy.)

You could also flatten the skis by screwing them to a piece of wood (eg a 2x3 on edge).

XC waxes would increase the friction when stationary, but would break free and slide somewhat unpredictably. You would also need to change the wax to match the snow conditions.

Skins might work but might not be too durable. (I would expect this rig to be dragged over concrete etc.) They would not help tracking particularly well.

Field methods for making a ski less slippery include icing the ski and/or wrapping cord (eg 1/8 nylon) around the ski. Probably neither is of use here.

Doug

Last edited:
Depending on the disability have you considered 2 sets of skis. One set mounted to the walker then a second set of standard boots and bindings on your student using the walker/ ski accessory as a set of poles. Essentially I'm looking at the situation not as a disabled person using a walker but as a newbie skiier with an accessory similar to an amputee with 1 leg and 2 poles.

Your student is going to fall but I wonder if a ski mounted to the walker (including a binding with a brake) will ensure when they fall the walker will not be too far away providing the confidence and secuity they need to continue the hobby.

Using a hack saw make cuts accross the ptex to add friction. Down the center of each ski using a scraper you can make a channel to keep the ski moving in a straight line.

Maybe if you cant the skis so the inner edge cuts more, they will keep tracking straight. That may also add enough resistance to slow them down.