condistions on the Lower Nanamocomuck Ski trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Has anybody been skiing on this trail lately? Trailhead about 6 miles from the Conway end of the Kanc. If so, can you speak to the conditions on the trail, or in the area?

I've never been on this trail--any overall comments on it would be helpful--level of difficulty, size of parking lot, etc.

Thank you!

I skied a little of the upper part last year, around Lily Pond, as well as across the street up toward Livermore Pass: it's a beautiful area with relatively easy skiing (especially if you have either edges or a turning technique). The trail from the pond east/northeast (downhill, pointed generally along the Kanc) can get going a little, but it's gorgeous, and loses the traffic noise immediately.

That's all I got, but it's a wonderful area and the vibe is (mostly) not destroyed by the road at all, hardly. ;)

Good luck!

I haven't been there recently, but it is a nice ski. Think the East Side Trail at Lincoln Woods. Some minor drainages to cross, but nothing too bad. Nice trail along the Swift. Word of warning though, NHDOT is repairing the covered bridge at the trailhead and is closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic. The Dugway/Passaconaway Rd. form the other side is not plowed all the way to the trailhead, but it probably skiable.

Last edited:
Thanks for comments--v. helpful!

It's always helpful to have some on-the-scene commentary. Particularly interested in that NHDOT work at trailhead...

Is there a forum for posting current conditions on the WMNF Cross Country Ski Trails?

Carla, earlier this week I was on the Lower Nanamocomuck (from Rocky Gorge to just slightly beyond the eastern end of the Wenunchus ski trail). It's probably a matter of individual taste, but I found it unpleasant to cross country ski on this portion of the Nanamocomuck. Due to heavy snowshoe traffic, the trail consisted of firmly packed snow. Also, there were a few areas of exposed rock with no suitable workaround.

However you bring up a question which I was just about to post as a separate thread. Is there a forum that I'm unaware of where information is posted about current conditions on the WMNF cross-country ski trails? I'm referring only to those trails within the WMNF which are specifically designated as cross-country ski trails such as the Nanamocomuck (along the Kanc), the Hayes Copp Trail (Rt. 16 south of Gorham), etc, etc.

Some folks (myself included) will sometimes cross-country ski on certain portions of certain hiking trails. And for those situations, the Trail Conditions reports for hikers can serve as a general guide as to how skiable those trails might be. But, as I indicated above, there seems to be little info available (that I can find) about current conditions on the WMNF cross-country ski trails.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to see these right in the Trail Conditions section, titled as such.

By the way, is it "NanaMOcomuck," or "NanamoCOmuck"? I can guess as well as anyone; does anyone have something definitive?

Thanks....

encouragement for listing ski trail condix here...

Happy Hiker, thanks for the first hand tips--very good to have this info.

I don't know of another forur focused on ski trail conditions. It does always seem rather a crapshoot on what you'll get. The exception of course is getting out there first on a new snow, but that's hard to manage.

I wouldn't mind seeing them in the trail conditions here, labeled as such, I just don't know that others think to post them here, since the focus is on hiking per se in the reports.

But here's thanks in advance for any skiiers who can post conditions.

And I also think it's worthwhile to post as a separate thread to maybe encourage more ski trail conditions...

--Carla

By the way, is it "NanaMOcomuck," or "NanamoCOmuck"? I can guess as well as anyone; does anyone have something definitive?

Thanks....

Neither...most of us Local Yokels call it the "Nana"....off the "Kanc"...ya see when your missing a couple of teeth, ya hus is leany, and ya ain't got no learnin...pronouncing words like Nanamocomuck and Kancamagus gets a bit tough!;)

Last edited: