carson/grace trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
this week I did these 2 mtn's and I have a question. Coming from carson to grace there is a side trail that goes down on the left side just when you start to climb grace. It is a very well worn trail. Does this go to route 73. If so I would like to do this next time becouse I don't want to go through that blowdown again ( my 47 year old back was barking). Also going back to carson from grace there is a well worn path that goes down to the right just before you reach the rocky summit. Does this go to pough?
Also why dont they mark thes trails somehow so no one gets lost. I accidentally took both these trails becouse they were actually going straight, were as the ridge trails had a turn to them so I initially missed them. when i realized that i was going down i backed up to the ridge and found correct trail. there were pink ribbons on the blowdown.

MacNaughton trail?

Once MacNaughton gets more popular (it probably will), even MacNaughton won't have a trail like MacNaughton.

In 15 years from now, how many of the adk 100 highest will have well defined herd paths. These will develop due to their popularity, plus the publication of the book "Best routes to the ADK 100 Highest" in 2008.

Pete is right

I think that Pete hit the nail on the head - even in the past 10 years things had changed so much (e.g. more herd paths, removal of the canisters, maintenance of herd paths, such as Street/Nye, Marshall, peaks are broken out in the winter, etc).

But as the peaks become more and more popular, herd paths might get marked (e.g. Rocky Peak, Phelps). Having folks who love the peaks is a great thing though, but the balance between love and too much love is hard to define...

Is the summit of Carson rocky? I thought the summit was before the rocky part and the pough trail (coming from Grace) in small clearing in the trees.

Rik said:
Is the summit of Carson rocky? I thought the summit was before the rocky part and the pough trail (coming from Grace) in small clearing in the trees.

The summit of Carson is in the trees. Then the main trail to Pough is at the small (very small) clearing after the summit with the small cairn. A secondary trail to pough is closer to the western cliffs on the Macomb side, right at the top of the open rocks. The two meet up at the bottom of the Carson-Pough col.