Kinsmans 1/14/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
12akinsmans11410.jpg

On South Kinsman

North Kinsman 4293' and South Kinsman 4358'

Mount Kinsman Trail/Kinsman Ridge Trail

10.2 Miles 3550" Elevation gain

Kevin, Emma and Tim C

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

This was our 4th attempt for a winter summit of South Kinsman. In March of '07 Jude, Emma and I made it to the summit of North Kinsman but turned around in blizzard like conditions before reaching South Kinsman. A couple of weeks ago we turned around again when Jude didn't feel good. Last week Emma and I broke trail on the Mount Kinsman Trail through snow depths which varied from 6 to 18 inches. We got within a 1/4 mile of the ridge before I realized it was turn around time. I was exhausted and Emma was caking with ice so we had to settle on a trip to Bald Peak (Knob) instead.

Last week our friends Tim and Val made it to both summits on the trail we had broken out finishing the last 1/4 mile of trail breaking before reaching the broken out ridge. Tim graciously offered to return and I thankfully accepted. As we drove north from their house we were treated to beautiful views of the mountains bathed in morning alpenglow as the sun rose. To the west the skies were dark making for wonderful contrast. As we drove up through Kinsman Notch we soon found ourselves under overcast skies that would remain that way throughout the hike.

15akinsmans11410.jpg

On South Kinsman by Tim C.

We parked in the still unplowed new parking area and started off, making good time to the spur path that leads to Bald Peak (Knob). The going was much easier this time. I thanked Tim for joining us and he patiently endured my quirks and many stops so that Emma could chew snow from between her toes. We made it to the ridge and then up to the summit of North Kinsman where I stopped to put on a dry shirt before we forged ahead into new territory. The hike over to South Kinsman went well and after summit photos we had a bite to eat before making the trek back to North Kinsman.

10akinsmans11410.jpg

On North Kinsman by Tim C

I thanked Tim again for making what must have been a tedious hike on a no view day so recently after having done this before. We spent most of the hike in good conversation and time seemed to fly by. We ran into a few other hikers stopping to speak briefly to each of them. As we began to descend from North Kinsman the sky began to clear a little but we had reached our goal and we weren't going back up for the views. As we drove away a look back at the mountains showed that we probably wouldn't have seen anything as the summits were still in a cap cloud.

Emma and I were glad to finally check this one off the list.

Photos here:

KDT

Last edited:
sounds like it was a satisfying hike especially after those previous attempts.
i really enjoyed your pictures. the snowy trails looks beautiful.
thanks for sharing.

bryan

Nice work! I'm curious. Do you ever use booties on Emma? I also have to stop fairly often to removed snow from Sheep's paws but I think in most cases, the booties would affect his traction so he goes without them. He never seems to get cold so I don't think it's an issue but I was curious what other dog folks do during the winter.

Booties

Bill-We tried them once. She had them off in seconds. Hated them! She hates anyone touching her feet. We deal with it and help if we have to. We use mushers secret, but you need to reapply it a lot. I think she's better off barefoot and we don't go if it's too, too cold. We've turned around on several hikes because we knew she was uncomfortable. Give Sheep a good scritch for us!

Bryan- Thank you! Yes, it was good to get this one done!

KDT

Nice job Kevan..

you had a very capable and experienced guide for this hike...

sorry you missed out on views on South Kinsman..they can be good which means..of course..that you will have to go back

Bill-We tried them once. She had them off in seconds. Hated them! She hates anyone touching her feet. We deal with it and help if we have to. We use mushers secret, but you need to reapply it a lot. I think she's better off barefoot and we don't go if it's too, too cold. We've turned around on several hikes because we knew she was uncomfortable. Give Sheep a good scritch for us!

Sheep has a set of booties as well and I made sure they fit and haven't put them on since. I carry them with me more as a first aid supply than a hiking aid. I figure if he ever cuts a paw, they'll be useful.

I also use musher's secret but with Sheep's giant paws, one of the small tubs is only good for two hikes. I watch Sheep closely and he's never been cold as far as I can tell. I just stop often and pull the ice balls out of Sheep's paws as often as I have to.

Sheep's exhausted tonight after doing the Tripyramids. The Sabbaday Brook Trail was much steeper than I imagined it would be!

Dog Boots

Bill- I think you are doing it the right way. The boots will come in handy in an emergency. Staying in tune with your dog is the most important part of your hike.

There is no question in my mind that you are a good man/dog hiking team and that Sheep is in good hands!

Clay- She is actually part Yak. : )

Mark- Did you mean Tim or Emma? : ) I've seen the views from there in every season but winter, will have to go back anyway to check it off Judy's winter list!

KDT

Last edited: