Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
I want to try a winter hike with 'shoes'. What should I use / buy. Also, do I need winter boots. I use 30-yr-old Vasque hiking boots for typical non-winter hikes.

Any/all suggestions welcomed as I know nothing.

You'll get more opinions on this, than there are snowshoes to buy. Since I am the first to reply I'll recommend the MSR Denali Evo Ascent's. Reasonably priced ($159 right now at EMS and Amazon.) They are fast, light, and more durable than some would have you believe. Get a field repair kit while you are there.

You'll get more opinions on this, than there are snowshoes to buy. Since I am the first to reply I'll recommend the MSR Denali Evo Ascent's. Reasonably priced ($159 right now at EMS and Amazon.) They are fast, light, and more durable than some would have you believe. Get a field repair kit while you are there.

AHHHNT !!! WRONG ANSWER !!! :eek:
Poke around a bit and borrow or buy a used pair if you're kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town. I bet if you checked the local ads you could buy 5 pair of various makes, sizes and configurations for what Pair-O-Doctorates has you paying for one new pair. Or rent different sets from EMS, or some shop like that. Different conditions require different shoes.

As for boots, I used Vasque leathers (until they disintegrated) and thick wool socks in the winter for years. If you can swing it, buy a pair of Sorrells instead.

On boots, everyone's feet and circulation are different. Some people hike in the winter using their summer boots, and do just fine. Others would lose several toes if they did the same thing. Short test hikes with easy bailout options, on nice cold days, will help you calibrate so you know how warm a boot to buy (or whether you need a different boot). If you're buying boots, the next most important thing is fit. Must try on several brands. Foot shapes and boot shapes differ a lot.

Good luck!

TCD

What should I use / buy.

Smaller, tear drop shaped shoes are good for packed trails and moving quickly. Larger, more oval shaped shoes provide more floatation and would be needed in fresh, deep powder. As your combined body and pack weight increase, so should the size of the shoe, if you'll be breaking trail in deeper snow. If the trail is packed, you can use smaller shoes or none at all. The cleats/crampons incorporated into the shoe need to be more aggressive as you get into steeper/higher/icier terrain. Some shoes have heal lifts, which are nice for steep ascents. What else ?

First I would suggest renting. Make sure you actually will LIKE it before spending large amounts of money! ;)

Assuming you are now hooked on the winter bug I think it depends on what you want to accomplish. Are you looking to do serious elevation gain hikes (like the 4K's etc.) or are you looking for rambling low level stuff or a combination of both? If money is strapped check out the Yukon Charlie brand snowshoes. They are inexpensive and will be good enough for gentle to moderate terrain with the occasional attempt at steeper stuff. If you are looking to do serious climbing and money is no issue look into something like the Tubbs Alps Flex or the traditional Tubbs or Atlas lines. People love MSR's, and while I own a pair I am going to need to replace them the end of this season and I am not going back to MSRs. I don't like the bindings, and I had an issue recently that has me questioning their supposed iron clad customer service.

Brian

Last edited:
REI is now selling Yukon Charlies, so they must be coming up in the world. Mine are still going strong, although I had to fix a couple of missing rivets with nuts, bolts and washers after 5 years.

Rup, you didn't buy after getting last year's Advice?:)

Good info in this thread, but among everything else, this:

makes the thread. Thanks for the entertainment!

TCD

If money is strapped check out the Yukon Charlie brand snowshoes. They are inexpensive and will be good enough for gentle to moderate terrain with the occasional attempt at steeper stuff.

Listed on Walmart.com for $84.88 for 8"x21" model. Not too bad, but if you think you'll be hiking packed, crusty snow on moderate terrain I would suggest getting the MSR Denali Classics solely for the unbeatable crampon rails on the bottom. Superb traction and I'll often wear them just for the grip which has (so far) kept me from also dropping $$ on microspikes because I've found if I can't get the MSRs to bite then it's time to put on crampons. I got mine for a tad more than the Yukon Charlies when Campmor was running a special - I think I paid $114. I love them and haven't had any problems with mine, but I'm not as hard on my stuff as some folks.

I would also suggest renting or borrowing first to see if you'll really like it. I was already pounding well-packed trails with the dog, and wanted to take the step into traveling terrain not so well-trodden.

FWIW, I hike in a pair of "sorels" because I can use them for other winter activities like snowblowing and sledding with the kids. They are Kamik brand, model is Frontrange. They're waterproof and "rated" to -40, your feet won't be cold. Paid $70 for them on sale, and I find them super comfortable.

I've been enjoying a pair of Kahtoola FlightDeck TS 24s for the last 2 winters. Very convenient snap-on/snap-off 'shoe that lets you keep traction on your boots for hardpack, and only a couple of seconds to snap the shoes back on when the snow gets deeper. No repair issues yet, and the floatation seems good so far. Unfortunately comes with a hefty price tag.

Listed on Walmart.com for $84.88 for 8"x21" model.

I've seen them cheaper at a local walmart(Rindge, NH) If I recall, the 25" ones were $70 or so. Here is a link to the 30" model, it was $78.

Probably not the shoe for the hardcore winter enthusiast but a good starter shoe. I expected mine to be self destruct by now, but they keep on trucking.(see attached pic). The Atlas sticker keeps them from being picked on by more expensive shoes.:rolleyes:

I've seen them cheaper at a local walmart(Rindge, NH)

The Atlas sticker keeps them from being picked on by more expensive shoes.:rolleyes:

RUP, If you go that route check several Walmart stores. I've found their prices on EVERYTHING can vary by as much as 10% between stores that are less than 30 miles apart.

And FWIW, I think LL Bean branded 'shoes are the same ones manufactured for/by the Yukon Charley brand. They sure look awful similar, and while I haven't used a pair, I own one pair of kiddie 'shoes from LL Bean and they appear more than suitable for a "beginner" snowshoe used on rolling terrain. They must be decent if LL Bean is going to throw their guarantee behind them, if they are indeed the same snowshoes with a different label.

I know what you mean Quietman. My $8 Ocean State Job Lot treking poles often find the need to defend their honor amongst my name brand gear in the closet at night. It's the only explanation I have for why it's always a mess in there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Renting first is a good idea. What are you looking to do? A trip up say Mt. Willard is likely to be well packed so a smaller snowshoes would be okay, while a seldom used trail or off trail will require bigger snowshoes.

Poke around a bit and borrow or buy a used pair if you're kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town. I bet if you checked the local ads you could buy 5 pair of various makes, sizes and configurations for what Pair-O-Doctorates has you paying for one new pair. Or rent different sets from EMS, or some shop like that. Different conditions require different shoes.
But, only if you a lot of time on your hands and say... work banker's hours. :eek:

Smaller, tear drop shaped shoes are good for packed trails...
But make sure you rent a pair of crampons for when you get above the tree line.
... and moving quickly...
Boy, you were flying on Sunday. :p :D

Good catch Quietman...you're like the Ben Kenobi of VFTT...

rup, lots of good info in that linked thread. I'll note that I recommended used gear then also.

Quietman: ( Ben Kenobi) (waves hand) " These aren't the 'shoes you're looking for."

rup (dazed) "Uhhh.... These aren't the 'shoes we're looking for."
:D

Last edited:
Paradox said:
Chip said:
AHHHNT !!! WRONG ANSWER !!!

But, only if you a lot of time on your hands and say... work banker's hours. :eek:

HIKER FIGHT...!!! :D

I'm a pop up some popcorn and settle in here in front of my monitor, so as not to miss any of the action.

Chip, old chap, I do believe it's your opportunity to riposte to the good doctor's parry...

!En garde!

Obviously not. Got sidetracked. Then again, spring has hit N NJ today.

Thinking some snow slogging might be good for the legs. Hitting Ktaadn for the last of the NE68 this spring / summer. Party to follow.

Been on many glacier climbs, but no snowshoes.