Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HIKER FIGHT...!!!

I happen to know that Ol' Bluebags is on vacation. I can get a few cheap shots in while he's not lookin'. :D

Chip said:
Smaller, tear drop shaped shoes are good for packed trails and moving quickly...

Boy, you were flying on Sunday. :p :D

Here is our circumferencially compromised friend, moving so quickly ahead of us that he is having to walk backwards to stay in the same county.

NB: the orange codpiece is an option available at additional cost. It does not add to your speed.

Here is our circumferencially compromised friend, moving so quickly ahead of us that he is having to walk backwards to stay in the same county.

NB: the orange codpiece is an option available at additional cost. It does not add to your speed.

Wow. :confused: And you had to work today. Must have been "Single Tooth Monday" in Plymouth. :eek:

Actually I'm pretty impressed and I like this shot. I was moving slow Sunday, for sure, although the 'shoes had nothing to do with it. The Sudafed finally kicked in around mile 3 and I could breath. A sad part of this story is I nearly caught up with you and Henry at the Hut. ;)

Paradox said:

:D Nice ! Good to know who your friends are !

Paradox said:

What many of you may not know is that, rather than a Nalgene, Chip's cozy is stuffed with socks. :D

In case he sweats-out the pair he's hiking in, obviously. What did you think I meant...? ;)

another data point

I recently upgraded my 12 year old Tubbs (actually the binding broke) to a pair of MSR, and I was amazed at how much more I enjoy them. For one thing they don't build up snow as easily in the front crampon, also the side rails give you a lot better traction. Finally I really like the removable tail, which I find I only need when there is really deep snow.

When/if you rent crampons make sure they work with your boots. I use a pair of Solomon boots (not mountaineering boots) and a number of the pairs of crampons I tried did not make a good seal with boot.

My friend Brian picked up a package of snowshoes at Ocean Job Lot on Saturday for $45 that included snowshoes, a carrying bag, and telescoping poles. The shoes are a bit heavy for big trips but he'll use them for his commute to work. Lucky guy.

I looked at the Job lots shoes the other day. They seen to be a big step down from the YC's and lower level Tubbs and LL Beans. The alluminum crampons are very small and short and the binding set up looks weak. And yes, they are heavy.

I've had good luck with the poles.

I received a pair of these for Christmas. I've used them a few time and like them very much. I'd have no problem suggesting them to others.

basegear_2089_12842640

I have a pair of Atlas 1230 snowshoes, they're great in deep snow but terrible on ice. For most hikes in New England you are much better off with MSRs (lightning assent or Denali Evo), I'm looking to get a pair when the winter clearance sales start.

I suppose if we could do it, we should all carry large Atlas type shoe for powder and breaking trail, a pair of smaller MSR types for packed trails and ice and a pair of crampons.

In New England the trails are usually broken and if you're not postholing then I don't really see a need for snowshoes. Crampons or traction aid - yes. But snowshoes only for times when snowstorm dumps lots on the trail overnight.

During the morning hike back to the car you will wish you had the biggest snowshoes available to stay afloat. :)

I have a pair of Atlas 1230 snowshoes, they're great in deep snow but terrible on ice. For most hikes in New England you are much better off with MSRs (lightning assent or Denali Evo), I'm looking to get a pair when the winter clearance sales start.

I have a pair of Atlas 1230s, but they are about 8 years old. Absolutely fantastic and have never had any issues.

What I have noticed is the crampons on the bottom are a much thicker metal than what I see on current models. I'll try to post a photo of the toe crampon shortly.