Kalalau Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
Heading to Hawaii first week in April this year and was wondering if any one had any insight or tips to hiking the Kalalau Trail on Kauai. Aside of obtaining an overnight permit(already obtained), basic backpacking needs(totally going ultralite) and my own research...what else can i expect? Specific gear? Certain hazards? Chupacabra attacks? A hoard of zombies? Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated...

Our only thoughts are prepared to get very, very muddy. We hiked it in August the last time we visited and within 5 minutes were completely entrenched in mud. It was still an awesome time!

Camera... I hiked it with my sister about 7 years ago and had a blast, but the parts of it on the cliffs and not "inland" are very exposed to the sun so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. We did it in March which is the "winter" so you'll find less kayak/ocean tours and less people, but it is a nice backpack. Spend some time at the beach at the end and you can even camp in the sand, just stay above the high tide line of course and hope for no Tsunamis. :)

Jay

Chupacabra attacks? A hoard of zombies?
No...lepers.
Just kidding. Too much Jack London.

Yeah, that's right...mud. I did part of it as a short day trip ten years ago and I remember the mud and the slippery rocks. Beautiful scenery though.

I also remember passing a blind guy on the trail. Couldn't believe it. He was with others. (not "THE others" of course) who could see. He was on his hands and knees most of the time. Seemed a little crazy but hey...whatever floats your boat.

Camera... I hiked it with my sister about 7 years ago and had a blast, but the parts of it on the cliffs and not "inland" are very exposed to the sun so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. We did it in March which is the "winter" so you'll find less kayak/ocean tours and less people, but it is a nice backpack. Spend some time at the beach at the end and you can even camp in the sand, just stay above the high tide line of course and hope for no Tsunamis.

I'm in the market for a new camera now... after driving off from trailheads with my old camera on the hood of my car a few times, it chooses not to work so well these days! I plan on staying on the Kalalau beach as long as time permits...

Our only thoughts are prepared to get very, very muddy. We hiked it in August the last time we visited and within 5 minutes were completely entrenched in mud. It was still an awesome time!

Yeah, that's right...mud. I did part of it as a short day trip ten years ago and I remember the mud and the slippery rocks. Beautiful scenery though.

Thanks guys! I'll be looking foward to a bit of mud so far from home...

Info right on so far: water, sunscreen, camera and mud. Lots of slippery mud. I believe red dirt mud is what they make teflon out of. It is super slippery. Awesome trail though, you will love it.

Zombies? Well not really, but you do need to keep an eye out for the Night Marchers. Ghosts of ancient Hawaiian warriors that carry weapons and torches and march at night. Na Pali coast is a favorite haunt of theirs. If you see them you need to lay down, play dead, and avert your eyes. If they see you looking at them you die.

Aloha

- darren

ps: no pig on da pali - leave the pork at home or you are done for. I no kid you, brah. It will be a Brady vacation for you...

Just thought of this too, don't knock down anything that looks similar to what I would call "tourist cairns", like what you see on the Auto Road. The majority of which are, or likely are, memorials, shrines, or offerings, left by natives. Treat them as sacred.

You might be able to run into the locals who squat/live back there, ala commune style or lord of the Flies style. :)

We gave a guy a ride to the post office when we were there and on our way out...

Jay

You might be able to run into the locals who squat/live back there, ala commune style or lord of the Flies style.

We gave a guy a ride to the post office when we were there and on our way out...

I love squatters!

Just thought of this too, don't knock down anything that looks similar to what I would call "tourist cairns", like what you see on the Auto Road. The majority of which are, or likely are, memorials, shrines, or offerings, left by natives. Treat them as sacred.

That is great to know. Normally, I wouldn't touch a cairn, even if it were in a schoolyard...I'll be sure to let my group know as well!

Zombies? Well not really, but you do need to keep an eye out for the Night Marchers. Ghosts of ancient Hawaiian warriors that carry weapons and torches and march at night. Na Pali coast is a favorite haunt of theirs. If you see them you need to lay down, play dead, and avert your eyes. If they see you looking at them you die.

Aloha

- darren

ps: no pig on da pali - leave the pork at home or you are done for. I no kid you, brah. It will be a Brady vacation for you...

Geez Darren...you are kind of scaring me!!:eek: I'll leave the relics in the ground and the pork in the pig... :D