Hiker OK After Getting Stuck On Mount Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got out safe & sound!

Rick,

We're the group of 3 hikers (Mike & 2 friends) that met you on your way out of the Glencliff trailhead on Saturday morning. We had just been briefed by NH F&G at the trailhead and we're going to keep an eye out for you.

We're all really, really glad that you were well-prepared for the eventuality and made it out safely. Thanks for posting your story - I think you've given us all valuable lessons about survival up there, and the vagaries of gps's and cellphones.

Keep on hiking, guy!

Best wishes,

Mike

Last edited:
may write up a TR but will maybe see how the dust settles first.

I wouldn't worry to much about how the dust settles. This is a story about a prepared hiker, who when faced with white out conditions prudently decided to "whole up" for the night rather than wonder around aimlessly getting lost. This is a story of hiker who had the proper gear and knowledge to save himself and self rescue. Bravo! :) Nice job.

I wouldn't worry to much about how the dust settles. This is a story about a prepared hiker, who when faced with white out conditions prudently decided to "whole up" for the night rather than wonder around aimlessly getting lost. This is a story of hiker who had the proper gear and knowledge to save himself and self rescue. Bravo! :) Nice job.
Thanks.
But some one (who must have read my posts here and assumed I relied only on my GPS) is already trashing me on the WMUR site for not navigating with a compass (I had one around my neck and used it to keep a rough line). In micro-navigating, as in trying to find an entrance into the scrub on a winding trail, a compass isn't of much use. I have thick skin but get frustrated by the vituperous nature of many of today's internet denizens.
Oh, and I dropped my compass/whistle (red) lanyard below timberline somewhere on the way out. If anyone finds it, please let me know as it had sentimental value even before this.

Last edited:
Rick--glad you got out ok.

I'm not sure what happened with the GPS but I will find out (in non-threatening conditions!). I've gotten the impression that this GPS (eTrex Legend) needs to be still for a while to pick up a signal. Its antenna is definitely less sensitive than the 76CSx and 605 (bike GPS) that I have.
Assuming that this is the original basic eTrex Legend:

It's not the antenna--the primary difference is in the GPS chipset. I have an eTrex Vista which is very similar to the eTrex Legend. The degraded signal performance (eg under tree cover) difference between it and my 60CSx (essentially the same as a 76CSx) is dramatic.

With the Vista, I have to get a lock (best to stay stationary with a good sky view until a lock is obtained), place it in my pack or carry it in a way that it is oriented properly and has a good skyview, and check it every now and then. It will often lose lock under trees. (Don't use battery saver mode--you are more likely to lose lock.)

With the 60CSx, I just stay stationary until I get a lock (usually less than 1 minute--it is not very good at getting an initial lock while moving, but will eventually get one even if moving), and can just throw it in the top of my pack (in any orientation) and it will keep a good solid lock all day, good skyview or not (ie under trees).

I generally just get the initial lock in the car while driving to the trailhead and install fresh batteries before leaving the car. Works with either of the above GPSes.

Given that a number of "high-sensitivity" GPSes are now available, I cannot recommend any of the non-high-sensitivity GPSes for hiking use. (In fact, I dis-recommend them.) Leave your Legend at home and use your 76CSx for hiking...

Doug

Last edited:
In micro-navigating, as in trying to find an entrance into the scrub on a winding trail, a compass isn't of much use.

I know exactly what you mean. Now that I live in the west I find there are many times when I need to know within a few feet EXACTLY where I need to be - whether it be descending on main ridgeline which forks into multiple smaller ones, a canyon with multiple forks, or something similar. In those situations a compass is a clumsy tool compared to a highly accurate Garmin 60CSx, HCx or similar.

Don't let the bastards wear you down. You're an exceptionally experienced hiker. Sometimes crap just happens and you do the best you can, and in this instance you certainly did.

Rick--glad you got out ok.

Assuming that this is the original basic eTrex Legend:

It's not the antenna--the primary difference is in the GPS chipset. I have an eTrex Vista which is very similar to the eTrex Legend. The degraded signal performance (eg under tree cover) difference between it and my 60CSx (essentially the same as a 76CSx) is dramatic.

With the Vista, I have to get a lock (best to stay stationary with a good sky view until a lock is obtained), place it in my pack or carry it in a way that it is oriented properly and has a good skyview, and check it every now and then. It will often lose lock under trees. (Don't use battery saver mode--you are more likely to lose lock.)

With the 60CSx, I just stay stationary until I get a lock (usually less than 1 minute--it is not very good at getting an initial lock while moving, but will eventually get one even if moving), and can just throw it in the top of my pack (in any orientation) and it will keep a good solid lock all day, good skyview or not (ie under trees).

I generally just get the initial lock in the car while driving to the trailhead and install fresh batteries before leaving the car. Works with either of the above GPSes.

Given that a number of "high-sensitivity" GPSes are now available, I cannot recommend any of the non-high-sensitivity GPSes for hiking use. (In fact, I dis-recommend them.) Leave your Legend at home and use your 76CSx for hiking...

Doug
Thanks, Doug, I've been waiting for you to weigh in with your GPS expertise.
I've had the same experience with the 76CSx and, no surprise, I've reached the same conclusions about the Etrex Legend in my recent field studies...

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. Now that I live in the west I find there are many times when I need to know within a few feet EXACTLY where I need to be - whether it be descending on main ridgeline which forks into multiple smaller ones, a canyon with multiple forks, or something similar. In those situations a compass is a clumsy tool compared to a highly accurate Garmin 60CSx, HCx or similar.

Don't let the bastards wear you down. You're an exceptionally experienced hiker. Sometimes crap just happens and you do the best you can, and in this instance you certainly did.
Thanks, Kevin.
Yes, those sharp western ravines and ridges are pretty close together, aren't they!

Nice! Sometimes unplanned benightings happen. I've had a 30min descent turn into an 8hr descent because of darkness and unforeseen circumstances. Glad you came out ok and "enjoyed" the experience.

I am used to my Etrax losing signal, but if you set it down stationary for awhile (as Doug said) it will locate itself. I ALWAYS print a paper map of my hike in advance with very tight squares of coordinates. So whatever happens, I can find out exactly where I am, and plan from there.
I have Rick by a couple of years, so I'd better be careful.!!

In those situations a compass is a clumsy tool compared to a highly accurate Garmin 60CSx, HCx or similar.
Read the K2 book by Ed V which suggests wands as even more precise than GPS (and not susceptible to battery or satellite failure)

My mother used to use like 6" of bright yarn to mark important spots in woods, more visible than you'd think and biodegrades quickly if for some reason it doesn't get retrieved

I am used to my Etrax losing signal, but if you set it down stationary for awhile (as Doug said) it will locate itself. I ALWAYS print a paper map of my hike in advance with very tight squares of coordinates. So whatever happens, I can find out exactly where I am, and plan from there.
I have Rick by a couple of years, so I'd better be careful.!!
I did set it down (at the bivy site) and it did recover the signal but without the topo maps loaded it didn't matter (it gave coordinates but neither that finite data nor a very detailed map would have been any aid in the weather conditions I was in, without shelter). Good advice on the maps, nevertheless, and, in the relative comfort of my cave, I probably could have reassured myself about my escape by working the details.
Forget your age or it will own you!

Good Show!

As others have said sometimes stuff just happens. You showed you expertise by being prepared and surviving.

I have to echo Stinkyfeet in that I'm glad you're OK and I can't believe you're 64!

KDT

We saw you coming down while we were on our way up yesterday morning and you looked great for having just come off an unexpected night on the mountain. The girls say "you're rugged!"

Read the K2 book by Ed V which suggests wands as even more precise than GPS (and not susceptible to battery or satellite failure)

My mother used to use like 6" of bright yarn to mark important spots in woods, more visible than you'd think and biodegrades quickly if for some reason it doesn't get retrieved
Well, OK. If we're ever hiking and encounter a progression of yarn markers, we'll expect to soon meet up with a guy carrying snow wands:).

We saw you coming down while we were on our way up yesterday morning and you looked great for having just come off an unexpected night on the mountain. The girls say "you're rugged!"
Thank you!
Your girls were adorable, so purposeful and engaged in the task at hand (hiking up)! I hope they enjoyed the toboggan rides down.

Follow-up on my earlier posting...

Just to add another quick note. In case anyone mis-understood I only meant that we ran into Rick on the way down. I did not wish to give the impression that we were out to rescue anyone or that we found him. I may have made this impression by making my posting too short.

I'm certainly always willing to help out, but we were out for a hike that day, not as part of any volunteer group, or the NHF&G members who deserve our admiration for leading and making search efforts in our White Mtns.

Again, we were glad to see Rick come out of this looking chipper and no worse for the wear. Rick's preparation and cool-headedness are inspiration to those of us who have contemplated the thoughts of having to spend an unplanned night out on a mountain, esp in Winter.

--Mike

Last edited:
Glad you are okay and sharing your story Rick! So often in the aftermath of these events the gps is made out to be the most vital of equipment. In some conditions it can certainly be a part of it but I believe your common sense and rational thinking in a crisis kept you safe! Many more years of adventure still out there for you!;)

I did set it down (at the bivy site) and it did recover the signal but without the topo maps loaded it didn't matter (it gave coordinates but neither that finite data nor a very detailed map would have been any aid in the weather conditions I was in, without shelter). Good advice on the maps, nevertheless, and, in the relative comfort of my cave, I probably could have reassured myself about my escape by working the details.
One trick is to set waypoints at critical points on the way up (eg the car, at treeline where the trail leaves the woods, etc) so you can find your way back to them on the way down. This doesn't even require a map... (However a map might be nice to help you get around any obstacles between your current location and the next waypoint.)

Another trick is to place waypoints at critical locations before you start out, eg trailheads, summits, trail junctions, terrain features, POIs, etc (along with any waypoints placed on the way up). You can then see your current location in relation to the waypoints and get a good idea of where you are without using the lat-lon numbers.

Doug

Another trick is to place waypoints at critical locations before you start out, eg trailheads, summits, trail junctions, terrain features, POIs, etc (along with any waypoints placed on the way up). You can then see your current location in relation to the waypoints and get a good idea of where you are without using the lat-lon numbers.

I usually set a waypoint where my vehicle is parked. In the Northeast that's usually a trailhead, but in the west the trailheads are often not defined. I also set waypoints at critical points when winter hiking. Ones that immediately come to mind in the Whites are: treeline re-entry points on Falling Waters, Crawford Path below Clinton/Pierce; Ammo; Jewell; Bondcliff; and Valley Way. Have learned through experience that no how many times you've done these trails, in winter, under the right conditions, they can be nearly impossible to find otherwise.

Glad you are safe! I also don’t believe you are 64… :) You are one of the strongest, most experienced hikers that I have ever had the pleasure to hike with (sorry Ed H, Rick has you beat!). No doubt that you would make the right decisions to get out of your predicament. You finished the W48 in 75? That was when winter hiking was hardcore with lots-o-trailbreaking.

I ran into similar conditions on Lafayette yesterday. It was socked in with high winds and I still attempted to head to Garfield, hoping that conditions would get better down lower. They actually were worse, and I became lost for a little while somewhere near the Skoocumchuck intersection (with 50 feet visibility) before using my compass to get me back up to N. Lafayette and back to Lafayette.

Winter hiking in tough conditions can be a crap shoot…