Ed finished his 3rd Grid Sunday on Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
After I summited Madison (about a half hour after Paradox and Henry :eek:) I took a long break at the Hut, in the sun and out of the wind, while Paradox and Henry made their way up Adams.

At the hut I quickly recognized Ed and met Jeremy and J&J. Jeremy is the one doing the new Trail Conditions site. Ed was taking a break before heading up Madison...to complete his 3rd Grid. :eek: Congratulations Ed ! Here's a YouTube and a pic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0nL21xJcI

IMG_1511.JPG

Wow

The mind boggles. Let's see: 48 4000-ft NH peaks times 12 months in a year times three times ... hmmm .... er.... @#$% calculator ... oh there it is: 1728 peaks.

Congratulations on an amazing feat (or should I say "feet"?)

(and Go! Shake & bake!)

How are the feet? Thats a pretty sweet feat yo! Congrats.:D Nice to see the vid too!:cool:

Also note worthy is Hiker Ed completed his 60th loop of the NH48 on Mt Eisenhower last Thursday! Truly amazing.

Mr. Optimist! Congratulations, Ed!!! You are amazing and one of the most upbeat people to hike with! Way to go.
Lucky Laura

But it doesn't have to take 4 years ? (not that I'm planning my grids, just don't know "Da Rules".)

It can take multiple years to finish 1 grid.

I know of no one saying you have to finish one grid before starting the next.

So you could climb Tecumseh 4 times in Jan, Feb....etc and have it done for 4 grids. Then whittle away the other peaks. to complete them all 4 times in each month

I don't understand how this works, he has overlapping grids ? I thought it was 12x48, like each month you do all 48.
Yes, most folks have overlapping grids of some sort. If you've climbed 47 of the 48 peaks 5 times, but never climbed Washington, you could climb Washington 5 times in a row and complete a round of the grid each time. It's all just bookkeeping.

But it doesn't have to take 4 years ? (not that I'm planning my grids, just don't know "Da Rules".)

It doesn't have to. If by some magic or super-human ability you could manage 2 x 48 each month, you'd have two grids complete in December.

One thing you can never do is complete two 12x48 grids on one trip. One day, yes, if you went back to the trailhead and re-hiked.

I had overlapping winter / any rounds of the 48 when I finished the any season 48. I've since re-hiked those 48 that were previously winter-only peaks, not that it really matters. I'll have round 2 completed in 6 peaks while I need 15 more to finish the winter.

Tim

thats amazing, awesome job.
thats a bunch of hiking!!!

but im just curious to all you grid/list hikers, does it ever get boring? there are some hills that i have hiked and have no desier to hike again.
props to all of you who somehow drag yourselves back up tom/field/willey more than once.
I also have a terrible memory and can't even remember what i have hiked in the past.

Are you saying you didn't enjoy our TFW hike this summer? :cool:

Way to go, Ed!

haha. it was okay-but no rush to go back. plenty o' other, more scenic hikes..... if i were hiking them alone i would have hated it!

Code:
Enter the spreadsheet.

tim,
that seems like work to me. i dont use spreadsheets (unless im getting paid) :D

but yeah, seriously, nice job Ed!