Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my new/old Karhus

Kewl...not sure if I will attempt to mount the Silvy's myself. Anyone know of any North Country Shops that would do it? IME? Rodgers? (haven't had timem to call around yet)
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    Kewl...not sure if I will attempt to mount the Silvy's myself. Anyone know of any North Country Shops that would do it? IME? Rodgers? (haven't had timem to call around yet)
    Sent you a PM.
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1 View Post
    Tusen takk for dette! (Norwegian for "To hell with the French bindings!")

Thanks for your input!

And so the saga of the hunt for Super Telemarks with cables continues. I know that Rottefella used to list the cables, etc. as spare parts in their 07-08 catalog, but they seem to have disappeared in the current version.
    Lacking redundancy but IMO easier to use (getting in and out of) and a bit easier to find is the 412. A nice fluid binding for the "stride" and nice control for the "turn". Also very appropriate IMO for retro pimping the ski in discussion.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Lacking redundancy but IMO easier to use (getting in and out of) and a bit easier to find is the 412. A nice fluid binding for the "stride" and nice control for the "turn". Also very appropriate IMO for retro pimping the ski in discussion.
    I've got a pair if anyone wants them...
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    I've got a pair if anyone wants them...
    Sent a PM.
    sardog1

Got the Silvy 404s today, they are in excellent condition...but not sure if they will fit *my* Koflach's. If anyone is looking for a pair of these bindings, shoot me a PM.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    Got the Silvy 404s today, they are in excellent condition...but not sure if they will fit *my* Koflach's. If anyone is looking for a pair of these bindings, shoot me a PM.
    The 404 came in different sizes. Basically the only difference is the length of the Rails which need to be appropriate for the length of your boot. If you got the Manual with your Bindings there is a sizing chart contained with the Mounting Instructions. Rick at IME or Dennis at Ragged Mt. would be able to look at the Boot/Binding to see if you are sized properly.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Just had to rub the faces of the scoffers in the snow with an update.

Had these skis out yesterday with renovated Rottefella 412 bindings on them. (Renovation consisted of installing new front throws and new cables with springs.) Used Swix Ice Klister on top of Rode Cholla for grip and Swix Polar for glide – grip and glide were fantastic.

I found this photo from 1988, from the Canadian – Soviet "Polar Bridge" expedition to the North Pole. Warms my heart just looking at the skis being put to good use. Note the Berwin bindings.

Karhu XCD Equipes
    sardog1

I have 2 pairs of metal edged Karhu Kodiaks, one set waxable and one set no wax. I think 185s.
    I'd be happy to donate the waxable pair to someone who'd promise to use them. Comes with the Rottefeller binding with the red bail.

I could bring them to Boston area some time when we're visiting Pat and Audrey.

Alan
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

I use a pair of Kodiak Kinetics (i.e. , the non-wax version of those skis) on a frequent basis. One of my all-time favorites of any ski.
    sardog1

Rockburn, Quebec, Canada living in an old (1830) one room school house just north of the NYS border on the last escarpment of the Dacks.
    I scored a pair of brand new Canadian Army skis (still in the wrappers) at the Cascade Ski Centre near Lake Placid for 60$. They are made by Karhu, have full length metal edges and minimal sidecut. I took the Silvretta 500's off the G3's and put them on. I have an old (mid 70's) pair of strap-on, US Army skins and replaced the toeloop with G3 metal hoops. They are sweet and have enough cambre to boogy with a kick wax. I put Dynafits on the G3's. Ski-ing is over for me now (rugby neck - no regrets) and shipped the skis, 2 piece Gabel Poles and Dynafit boots (we wear the same size and the liners are heat molded) to BC where she'll get better use of them.

Exactly the kind of deviant thinking I like to see.
    sardog1

Rockburn, Quebec, Canada living in an old (1830) one room school house just north of the NYS border on the last escarpment of the Dacks.
    Deviant? Who us? I think my Lab's pretty much normal tho.

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1 View Post
    So, I'm shopping for wax yesterday and off in a dimly lit bargain corner, a garish yellow catches my eye. It's a pair of Karhu XCD Equipes -- single camber, full metal along the sides, 212 cm, about 60/55/56, and the bases look like they've been swaddled in skins almost any time that they've been used. I'd tell you what I paid for them, but you'd just cry if you heard. Okay, I can't resist: A single sawbuck. Thass right -- count to ten and stop.

The quiver here already has:
    • Karhu Kodiak Kinetics (great on snowmobile trails, a little wanting on untracked deep stuff)

• Black Diamond Boundaries with Hammerheads that cradle my Asolo Extremes very nicely and are great for untracked forays in the deep stuff in the woods and the semi-steep, occasionally icy stuff (don't start on me, Metsky )

• Fischer Ultra Tours with the first generation Salomon binding that are good for any groomed tracks that I might stumble upon

• hand-me-down Rossis with the same Salomon binding that I use for skating when the urge hits. (Which is not nearly so often as it seems to do around Waterville Valley with some frequency).

So, what to use for bindings on my new friends? I'm thinking robust camping ski plus day trips off the beaten path. Candidates under consideration include:

Rottefella Super Telemark -- currently on my Karhu Kodiak Kinetics and my all-time favorite binding

Rottefella Super Telemark with the front-throw cable -- if I can find any.

Voile counterparts to the two above.

Rottefella NATO 120 -- This is the NATO binding with the front-throw cable, not the cable that's tensioned on the side of the heel. I could use my plastic double mountaineering boots. I don't have any serious hope of finding these on this side of the Atlantic, it seems.

Something else that you can recommend? My foot has to pivot nicely for striding, and the binding must be "relatively" light in weight. Releasability is not much of a factor, if any, for me. Cost is a very big deal.

I would (and do) go with the Super Telemark and don't look back. While the Voile's offer a teeny bit more active of a clamp, IMO that only makes sense if you plan on using the skis for turns. I keep Voile pins on my (non-releasable) Monashees (90/70/80; skied with Extremes in great snow, with light plastics otherwise) and on all my lift served rigs (Voile plates). But for touring with leathers, the easier in and out of the STs is a huge win, as is the better touring. My all time favorite binding.

Personally I see zero reason for cables. Zero. They add next nothing in terms of reliability in the case of a broken bail. IMO, they are only a fix for a boot sole that is so badly cracked that pins won't retain it. I think this was a problem of yesterday when plastic midsoles were bad. I've never once experienced it or even seen it other than cheap, crappy injected welted XC boots.

If the trip is super committing, I'll carry a spare pair of bindings in my pack. My wax kit always has a t-handled ratcheting driver and a hex drill bit for drilling out new holes for a get me home new mount. This said, I've never seen a ST (or Voile pins) fail. Repeated skiing in highly rockered plastic boots will bust binding over time from the harsh upwards pressure (usually rip out the lead screw first, imo) but that's not what you're talking about here with your Extremes.
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Might want to look at the date on the original post and the history that has followed.

FWIW, I did put a pair of STs on another pair of skis this winter.
    sardog1