Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pimp my new/old Karhus

First, I know nothing about Xc skis. But was thinking of getting into it if for nothing else, some of the longer level winter walk ins or some local winter exercise. And reading these old post is Greek to me (or is it French or Norwegian). Anyway I saw a cheap pair (10$) in a used furniture store and picked them up. They are Drover
    Equipe step (190m67700 if that means anything) design by p. Simmon made in Italy with Dovre 75 mm Nordic norm bindings made in USA (and no I don't know what any of that means). They seem to have had little to no usage. So are these worth while to look into getting bindings and/or shoes for or are they junk?
    Marvin from RI,
    http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com
    48/48NH4K, 67/67NE4K, 100/100NEHH, 44/48 WNH4K

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1 View Post
    Might want to look at the date on the original post and the history that has followed.

FWIW, I did put a pair of STs on another pair of skis this winter.
    <face palm>

So embarrassed
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowHiker View Post
    First, I know nothing about Xc skis. But was thinking of getting into it if for nothing else, some of the longer level winter walk ins or some local winter exercise. And reading these old post is Greek to me (or is it French or Norwegian). Anyway I saw a cheap pair (10$) in a used furniture store and picked them up. They are Drover
    Equipe step (190m67700 if that means anything) design by p. Simmon made in Italy with Dovre 75 mm Nordic norm bindings made in USA (and no I don't know what any of that means). They seem to have had little to no usage. So are these worth while to look into getting bindings and/or shoes for or are they junk?
    Sounds like you've probably found a fairly old pair of what are called "non-wax" skis. I don't recognize the brand. If the bottom has a texture under the middle part, you won't need to concern yourself with waxing for grip. You will want to apply glide wax to the areas on the rest of the ski that are not textured to improve glide and protect the plastic.

The bindings will fit practically any 75 mm boot with three holes in the sole (the width measured across the line of the three holes). You can find lots of such boots on eBay and in stores that sell cross country equipment.

You'll need poles that are fitted to you. This is done by placing the pole upright under your armpit. It's less painful if the tip is on the floor and the handle under your armpit. If the pole just fits there comfortably, it's the right length.

Skis are sized according to weight these days. These might be a little short at 190 cm to give you good glide, but they'll be relatively easier to maneuver. If you start drinking the Kool Aid as heavily as some of us here, you'll figure that out as time goes by. Meanwhile, get out there while we still have snow and have some fun! It's like tennis – your enjoyment is directly proportional to the time you spend practicing, so long as you get some good coaching at the start. Find an avid cross country skier and ask for some on-snow advice.
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Sounds like you've probably found a fairly old pair of what are called "non-wax" skis. I don't recognize the brand. If the bottom has a texture under the middle part, you won't need to concern yourself with waxing for grip.
    yes that's exactly what the bottom is. Does that mean I don't have to worry about skins (which look like they cost 10 times what I paid for the skis with bindings) To late this year but this may be a good spring project getting cheap boots to try them out. Thanks
    Marvin from RI,
    http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com
    48/48NH4K, 67/67NE4K, 100/100NEHH, 44/48 WNH4K

You'll need poles that are fitted to you. This is done by placing the pole upright under your armpit. It's less painful if the tip is on the floor and the handle under your armpit. If the pole just fits there comfortably, it's the right length.
    You can also use adjustable length poles such as trekking poles with snow baskets. I often adjust my pole length to match the conditions.

Find an avid cross country skier and ask for some on-snow advice.
    Or go to a commercial XC ski area and take a lesson--a good start will go a long way. Also some practice at a commercial area with groomed trails can help you to learn the basic techniques. (Just for the record, ski technique in soft snow can be different, but the groomed trails can be a good start.)

yes that's exactly what the bottom is. Does that mean I don't have to worry about skins (which look like they cost 10 times what I paid for the skis with bindings)
    Waxless skis (generally patterned bases these days) do not grip nearly as well as skins. Skins work much better (and save energy) on steeper climbs. (BTW, waxable skis also often outgrip waxless skis--I often wax my waxless skis to improve performance in appropriate snow conditions.)

BTW, there are a number of past threads on choosing and using XC skis. You are likely to find them to be worth searching out.

Doug

Does that mean I don't have to worry about skins (which look like they cost 10 times what I paid for the skis with bindings) To late this year but this may be a good spring project getting cheap boots to try them out. Thanks
    It all depends on what you want to climb. If you are just going to be touring on relatively gentle terrain, the waxless base will be fine. If you want to climb steep trails then they'll be frustrating and/or inefficient. You may have to sidestep, herringbone, or otherwise use a lot more energy. But those skis aren't really designed for descending steep terrain and you don't appear to be heading out in order to earn your turns so I don't think it's an issue.

Skis like that are best for covering long distances at relatively fast pace, without too much turning required.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Marvin,

For $10, it's hard to say no. But... Craigslist is full of used gear right in this price range that may work better for you.

Two questions...

1) Have you skied in any way shape or form before and if so, what type and how much?

2) What kind of skiing do you aspire to? Local golf courses & parks near home, more remote cross-country in the backcountry or turn oriented trips in the backcountry.

Suggested starting for equipment:
    http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...ick-picks.html

If you are an expert downhill skier or have never been on skis before, I can't strongly enough taking at least 1 lesson at a Nordic touring center. Head north, get a lesson under your belt, and a lot of the equipment discussions will make a lot more sense right away.

To answer some of the questions floating around in the thread...

1) Skis sound like no-wax touring skis, perfect for general XC use. But, at 190, they may well be too short most adult males. XC skis are sized by weight. I'm 180lbs and ski a 210cm +/- for a traditional ski. If the skis are designed as a "compact" (very doubtful given the binding) then 190 would be ok.

2) Consider the bindings as disposable. Find boots that are supportive enough for you and that fit you. Generally I recommend light "backcountry" boots for recreatinoal skiers. BC means, "better control".

3) Don't worry about skins at all. It's really about skiing for turns.

4) If you're planning on skiing in RI, I would recommend no-wax skis (patterns on the bases).

Hope this helps,
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Yo, Metsky. TBT:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89F89428-A216-450E-A87F-92425F0A589F.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	6322

:-)
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Many good days on those bindings!
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Yo, Metsky. TBT:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89F89428-A216-450E-A87F-92425F0A589F.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	6322

:-)
    Must have been Post #18 that got the true pimping on the move!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey