Made friends with an indian, killed a Panther, and laid Santa to rest!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
PICTURES

Dean G., IKE, and I set out at 430am from a full parking lot. We were the first on the trail this morning as others seemed to be getting around. We made great time under head lamp to the blue trail and made it to Panther Brook just as the sun was starting to rise! Pictures do not do it justice. The most beautiful orange I have ever seen.

The trail up Panther brook was very hard packed and we made great time to Harold Square where we could see the herd path for Panther. We all agreed that we would hit Couch first seeing this would be the hardest peak of the day. Boy was I wrong

The start of the herd path takes you through some thick spruce. This was not the start of the summer herd path but soon joined the summer one once down on the ridge. Dean and IKE made it to the summit about 7 minutes according to them before me. When I got up there they had shed most of there layers and were drying them in the hot sun. I felt like I was on Daytona Beach We stayed for about a half hour and then headed out for the long slog back to the maze of paths.

Once on top we headed to Panther and were up there in no time at all. I brought my crampons for that open rock face but did not need them as it is mostly bare open rock with no ice at all. My crampons got a free ride on this day. The sky was so blue and clear you could actually see the moon

Now for the fun part. Santa turned out to be a beast. The herd path was no where near the summer start. We ran into people saying they tried the tradition path and kept falling in Spruce traps. So we took a compass bearing and found the correct path and off we went. This path takes you through some of the thickest spruce I have ever seen. Most of the trip we were hunched over or on our hands and knees to just avoid getting our packs snagged up. We finally made Santa at 330pm and feeling AWESOME that we had accomplished a tough day.

For those of you that go up there the Santa disk is on the tree but the tree snapped off. We found the tree and stuffed what was left of it in a snow bank. I am not sure if it will blow over or not with the next wind storm. Just look for it and it is there

We went down the new/old herd path and made it to the blue trail right at dusk. I told Dean to get going as I knew he had to get his son so he ventured off and then IKE and I walked out together.

430am start 630 PM finish. A very long day but so worth it! Thanks to all that finished the trail breaking after my group was in there 2 weeks ago. Now I do not feel so bad walking on broken trails

Happy trails,
Adam

Nice Adam and gang... great that you got all three after all your hard work. :)

Now go have some eazy cheez!

Jay

I'm glad that you made it and got all 3! We were about an hour behind you getting to the car around 7-7:30 :) See you in a few weeks at the gathering!

nice hike. i really enjoyed your pictures. the one of santanoni (i presume from panther) is beautiful. looking forward to getting up to those peaks for the first time sometime this year (i hope).
thanks for posting.

bryan

nice hike. i really enjoyed your pictures. the one of santanoni (i presume from panther) is beautiful. looking forward to getting up to those peaks for the first time sometime this year (i hope).
thanks for posting.

bryan

Yeah that was from Panther and one of my favorite pics of the day too :) Glad you enjoyed the pics.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

The three of us have to get together for a hike this summer or Fall! I think we would have a lot of laughs! Steve you can even bring the MRS and Tom you could even bring the SON. That way I would be the middle age guy :p

Whoooaa, hold your horses there, Billy Martin! Are you trying to say that Steve is OLD? :eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

The three of us have to get together for a hike this summer or Fall! I think we would have a lot of laughs! Steve you can even bring the MRS and Tom you could even bring the SON. That way I would be the middle age guy :p

Tom, you should join us for Allen. BTW, Adam, let's talk about a date for that hike when we're at the gathering.

Whoooaa, hold your horses there, Billy Martin! Are you trying to say that Steve is OLD? :eek:

He better hope he wasn't talkin' about Fran...now that he's a mere shadow of his former self, I'm pretty sure she could take him! :D

Tom, you should join us for Allen. BTW, Adam, let's talk about a date for that hike when we're at the gathering.

He better hope he wasn't talkin' about Fran...now that he's a mere shadow of his former self, I'm pretty sure she could take him! :D

Sounds good lets plan it. The Mrs is going to need neck surgery the first part of June and recovery will be at least 6 weeks. So that puts us into middle of July and hopefully black flies are gone by then :D