Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Husbands Trail

Six Husbands Trail

The weekend of Feb 6 we are looking to do the six husbands trail. The plan is to take Old Jackson Road from Pinkham notch and make our way to the Six Husbands Trail, summit Jefferson and then head to Washington and down from there to Pinkham. We are looking at doing this in a day. Has anyone been on the Six Husbands trail? Is it in decent shape? Our other option was to make a two day trip out of it!
    It's not how high you go, it's how much fun you're having!
    http://www.dangergirldh.com
    you can see photos for all of my trips with trip reports at the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets

To be honest, I've never heard of anyone doing the Six Husbands Trail in the winter; that's not to say that it can't be done, but it's just a steep, rough trail even in the best of conditions and folks going up Jefferson in winter usually take other routes.

Some other folks on this forum with more experience with the trail than I can certainly provide better information.

(IMHO, that's an aggressive plan for one day in winter -- out of my league, for certain. Hats off to you and if you do it, I'd love to read the trip report and see pictures!)

I am certainly not opposed to making it a 2 night deal either. I just figured with 25lb small packs we could probably move quick. I would definitely bring a bivy sack and my puffy down jacket and pants, stove, fuel and rations to survive in an emergency situation even for a one day attempt. Conditions will affect our decisions too. We want good weather and good snow conditions. Also, worst case we can bail on the Sphinx trail or even go back where we came from! It looks super fun! If anyone wants to join us you are welcome to! - K
    you can see photos for all of my trips with trip reports at the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets

If you have good weather and trail conditions, I think your itinerary is doable in a day by a very strong party.

In January 2005, Frodo, Suebiscuit, Cruddytoes and I ascended the Six Husbands Trail. We started at the Great Gulf TH and hit the summits of Jefferson and Adams before descending the Madison Gulf Trail, which was a little tricky (very steep ice in sections).

It was a challenging day and great fun.

(Hey Stinker!) Indeed it was fun until I tripped on my crampons on the lower part of the Madison Gulf trail! Supergirrrrrl. Doh!

Dangergirl, assuming you are familiar with the Six Husbands Trail, the last ladder with the tight overhang was pretty challenging, as the angled slab (with 40+ foot drop off) was all ice. Crampons and axe were a must there. A short rope might have been prudent. We broke out fairly deep snow the whole way - very few (if any) ascend that trail in winter, so don't plan on it to being broken out. There were a few other funky mini pitches of ice higher up that we found fun, but if you aren't comfy with things like that, you may reconsider. But you are called Dangergirl, afterall...

ps - Have been down the Sphinx Trail in winter... tricky to follow...
    Last edited by Suebiscuit; 01-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Thank you for all of the info! We don't really know what to expect but we do hope that the weather is good for that weekend!

I've gone up and down the 6 husbands in the winter a number of times from the Great Gulf trailhead. The steep section isn't bad, the ladders help a lot. But with this rain, it will likely be solid and dangerous. Just going up and then across to Wash would probably be the only way.

We are off! Heading up north this afternoon. The forecast looks great too! The plan is to get up early Saturday and be on the trail before 5am. We will start off of The Great Gulf Trail across from Camp Dodge. We will take that to the six husbands trail. From there we will summit Jefferson, Clay, and Washington and then either take Nelsons crag or the Auto road out. Depending on how we are doing on time we will either take the auto road all the way and walk down 16 to the car or just hop back onto the great gulf trail. Hopefully we can hustle. We would like to do this in 12 hours or less.

The forecast looks pretty nice for tomorrow (Saturday) -- low winds late tonight and early tomorrow, and temperatures several degrees warmer than the past few days.

I was psyched to read the MWO summits forecast and see that they weren't calling for another 80-mph wind day tomorrow.

(So psyched, too, that I'll be starting up the Crawford Path for sunrise on Pierce at about the same time you're heading up Great Gulf.)

Enjoy the day and please post a report, with pictures!

Can't wait to read your TR! Go, dangergirl, go!
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

....take Nelsons crag or the Auto road out.
    Nelson Crag Trail? That's another Fun Filled Trail, one you can expect to "find, then pack". Finding the entry point into the trees may be challenging on a descent, but that's adventure, eh?
    You donít have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things ó to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone doing the Six Husbands Trail in the winter; that's not to say that it can't be done, but it's just a steep, rough trail even in the best of conditions and folks going up Jefferson in winter usually take other routes.
    Wasn't there some Eagle Scout who went down that way in early spring and couldn't get back up :-)

I see that yes there are people here who have done it, I just hope that either dangergirl is in their league or knows when to back off

Quote Originally Posted by dangergirl View Post
    Depending on how we are doing on time we will either take the auto road all the way and walk down 16 to the car or just hop back onto the great gulf trail. Hopefully we can hustle. We would like to do this in 12 hours or less.
    If it were me, I'd take the Madison Gulf Trail from the auto road over to the Great Gulf Trail and then out from there. Looking at the map, I don't think it saves any distance but it's better than road-walking Rt. 16, IMO. It's been a while but I don't recall it being anything difficult to traverse. I've never done it in winter, so maybe someone can provide beta on how well it gets broken-out (if at all) and how deep the drifts might be if it hasn't been tracked.

Ambitious plan! Good luck!
    East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', we gonna do what 'They' say can't be done.
    We gotta long way to go, and a short time to get there, I'm east bound just watch ole' Bandit run. - Jerry Reed

well, six husbands trail is now broken if anyone wants to do it (we broke most of the great gulf trail and all of 6 husbands!)! saw an amazing sunset from the summit of washington and have pine needles in my underwear from the bushwack! such a spicy climb! so much fun! no ropes needed. i brought a technical axe and crampons and snowshoes. it was a 16 hour day though! full trip report and pictures when i get home!

dangergirl rules! Can't wait for the trip report. For anyone who doesn't know DG, she is one capable, hardcore lady.
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.