Keeping my Stuff Dry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Recently, I was in a sporting goods store, and I noticed they have Dry sacks, Stuff sacks, Compression sacks, Goldman and sacks, etc., etc. I didn't buy anything, because ...

What I really want is a VERY strong garbage bag! :D 100% waterproof, VERY light, and about the same size as my pack, which is a fairly large day pack.

So, what's the best choice for me?

Trash Compactor Bags

I use a trash compactor bag to line my backpack and my winter day pack. It will last dozens of trips, and holds about 4000 cubic inches, maybe more. It is very waterproof, flexible in the cold, sturdy, and can be wiped clean in case of a spill. Mine is tan, so it is easier to locate items than using a black garbage bag. I'd quess that it weighs about the same as 3 trash bags.

For critical items (first aid kit, cell phone, etc.) I use Aloksacs. These are zipper lock bags on steroids, reuseable, light and available in several shapes and sizes. Not so cheap, but will last for dozens of uses. You can buy them at http://www.backpackinglight.com.

Ed

Go to your local building supply place - they'll have Contractor's bags (get the clear ones) - they are the perfect size - big enough to line your pack with, light enough not to make much of a weight difference, and cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to throw it away when (and if) it ever rips.

I use a silnylon stuff sack. The link goes to a kit, but I think you can buy them premade.

I went with silnylon after years of using garbage and compactor bags because they are lighter and seemingly more durable. (And the one I made can be submerged.) Also, I could choose the color. I made a few and used them as both quilt stuff stacks and food sacks.

On the other hand, plain old garbage bags are pretty good for most cases.

Last edited:
I went with silnylon after years of using garbage and compactor bags because they are lighter and seemingly more durable. (And the one I made can be submerged.) Also, I could choose the color. I made a few and used them as both quilt stuff stacks and food sacks.

I second the silnylon. I have been using a couple for the past few years. I like the different colors (I dislike black) and they are very light and durable.

I use zip-lock bags, three of four & then group gear together, stuff I'm very likely to use is near the top while stuff seldom (if ever used but good to have just in case) used sits on the bottom. Maps, glove liners & other small items is in a quart bag or a sandwich bag, while the 2 (or 2.5) -gallon bags are large enough for fleece pants, jackets, etc. (I haven't actually tried yet but a sleeping bag in a compression sack should fit)

I second the trash compactor bags as a bag liner. I still have the same one after years of winter hikes. I like that it is TOUGH, cheap and not black. They can be found at Sears or either Ace or Aubuchon hardware stores.

I recently upgraded my mid-sized pack cover to an Ultra-Sil cover which is a world different than my older ones. They also make bag liners out of the same ultra light material if you have some dollars heavy in your wallet!

I use zip-lock bags, three of four & then group gear together, stuff I'm very likely to use is near the top while stuff seldom (if ever used but good to have just in case) used sits on the bottom. Maps, glove liners & other small items is in a quart bag or a sandwich bag, while the 2 (or 2.5) -gallon bags are large enough for fleece pants, jackets, etc. (I haven't actually tried yet but a sleeping bag in a compression sack should fit)
Yeah, I have a few of those whoppers around. They break. I use a lot of zip lock bags for small stuff like head lamps, batteries, etc., and replace them when they break, which seems to be 'too often'.

I've also got some bags coming from Chip, we'll see how they work!

Yeah, I have a few of those whoppers around. They break. I use a lot of zip lock bags for small stuff like head lamps, batteries, etc., and replace them when they break, which seems to be 'too often'.

I've also got some bags coming from Chip, we'll see how they work!

If you put your little stuff in a nylon zippered pouch and then wrap that in a ziplock, then the ziplock lasts along time - 1 winter season is normal for me.

So, what's the best choice for me?

Whatever you like is best. No one knows better than you about what you think is best for you or something like that. I think.

I like garbage and zip lock bags. I hate it if something expensive breaks, rips or gets lost.

Last edited: