Mt Starr King via Starr King Trail 1/23/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Some Scout Guy

Date of Hike: 1/23/2010

Trail Conditions: Ascent via the ridge was hard packed trail (thanks to the guys in Monkey On My Waumbek last weekend). Used microspikes. I saw a couple bare boot-prints, so not everybody needs traction. Stream crossings are all small and easy. No blowdowns.

Starting the traverse into the spruce, the trail softened up from the snow coming off the trees. I slipped around for a little while before admitting it would be easier with the snowshoes on. If I could manage the contortions, I would have kicked myself for not doing it immediately.

After reaching the summit of Mt Starr King and snapping a few pictures, I confirmed that I was too short on time to add Mt Waumbek this trip. (Would have been about hour and a half at my rate.) Use the snowshoes and trekking poles for the entire descent to the trailhead.

Time up: 2 3/4 hours, time down: 1 1/4 hours. An extra 15 minutes to walk down the road to the Applebrook, where the hot showere and the cold beer put a nice end to the day.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes - essential, Microspikes - useful, Poles - useful.

Comments: Saw 1 other hiker on the trail, coming down on the traverse as I was going up. It was gorgeous weather, I was surprised there wasn't more traffic.

Your name: Jeff Carter

Your E-mail address: jeffc [at] apeirogon.org