bike training

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smitty!

He also wrote an excellent article somewhere on cornering at speed on descents using "counter steering". IIRC it involved putting pressure on your inside hand and keeping your upper body more upright through the turn, using leverage on the bike to "carve" a turn like a skier would do, versus doing the traditional "lean-over".

I know I just butchered the concept, but if someone can find a link to the article please post it. He does an excellent job of describing the technique.

Funny , I read that same article when I first got into riding. Made quite an impression on me too!!

Indoor Spinning

Indoor spinning can become pretty monotonus (sp?).

I hope I am not repeating what has already been posted here, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts...

A couple of ways to keep your interest in using an indoor bike....

Record your mileage after each session. Get some state maps and plot your route. You don't need an odometer to do this. Just use a factor for the amount of time you are on the bike. Say 18mph..... I have been using this "trick" for a while and currently I am currently in Yackama, WA and heading S on Route 97.... Hey, whatever keeps your interest! :)

If you are training at home/or by yourself do some intervals. This definetly reduces/eliminates the monotny. You don't necessarily have to do mega hard intervals.. but just vary the speed and/or the intensity every so often. Then shift back down... It really helps during your time on the bike and it will also increase your strength/stamina...

Last edited:
After years off road and mountain bikes, I got another Mt bike last fall and combined it with heavy spinning classes.

Spinning ROCKS!

The gym I just joined has Spinning bikes but no classes. Instead you have a video screen in front of you with a video tape of an instructor taking you on whatever type of ride you choose.

Riding my 29er though the Fells on the way to work rocks(awesome conditions w/studs right now). Can't really see myself riding in a room with a bunch of other folks. :eek:

I enjoyed Spinning. Was going between 1-2 times a week for over a year. Than I realized I was spending $50 a month to o spin 6 hours a month instead of riding. Now I just ride. It really helps to be living in an area that has a very active mt bike community. No biking community. Seams that when there is a road, mountain or cyclo-cross event the "other" disciplines come out and show their support.

I enjoyed Spinning. Was going between 1-2 times a week for over a year. Than I realized I was spending $50 a month to o spin 6 hours a month instead of riding.

:eek:

That is one expensive gym membership. I spend half that where I go now. Plus I make sure to use all the equipment the gym has to offer. I've always loved Spinning but I am not a fan of group exercise classes. With the video instructor it's totally one-on-one and much more enjoyable.