Your road bike.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
So if you ride the roads, what are you riding? I just cashed in some coins that I've been collecting for about three years and I plan on putting that towards a road bike asap. Hopefully a 2010 Pinarello FP-1.

My primary road steed is a 1997 Serotta Atlanta, Reynolds 531 tubing, red/yellow fade - 40K+ miles and counting.

My cyclocross/winter steed is a Hot Tubes, blue and white.

I have an old chromoly Fuji that is currently serving as a fixed-gear.

(And to round it out I have a Gary Fisher front-suspension steel MTB... bought it used, don't ride it much.)

Tim

I'm still riding the Schwinn hybrid I bought in 1997; I'd like something a little more aggressive but there's very little available in cromoly these days. Maybe once I have a real job I can spring for a touring bike.

Secondary is a Dahon folder that I'll take out sometimes, particularly if I think I might want to take the T home.

Specialized Dolce Elite, women's specific, precision carbon fork, crank, stem, handlebars and seat stays.

Love it. Hoping to train for my first century this summer.

The_Freedom_Machine_2026.png

Cannondale CAAD8? I forget which number but I love it!!!! (back when Cannondale was "made in USA"!)

Cannondale makes nice women specific bikes. I tried the CAAD 9 when I was demo'ing and it was my second choice. Felt a bit damper than the Specialized I ended up with -- nice that there are so many *serious* bikes out there to chose from for women these days. (and skiis for that matter!)

Look KG381 - Carbon Fiber. Campy Record...
Seven Axiom - Ti Shimano Duraace
Lemond Zurich (my commuter) - Reynolds 853 Ultegra
Santa Cruz Superlite - AL.. XT stuff..
Soma Groove (hardtail commuter) Cro-Mo, misc commuter parts.

Jay

Frankentrek 2300- 1989 frame broke four years ago and Trek gave me a replacement 2300 frame to go with my 7 speed 600 transmission.

The Urban Crawler- My Jamis Dakota H/T mtn bike converted full rigid and slicks for NYC adventures.

The Townie- KHS Mocha foldable. Picked it up for $100 new at a divorce sale.

2006 Felt F65 w/ Ultegra, carbon cages (saved ~1 oz!!!!!!!)
Bought for $650 in July 2008 from a New Year's resolution quitter

Used to own:
2006 Trek Portland (sold cuz it would've gotten stolen on a college campus)

1996 Bianchi CDI (celeste... of course- what other color SHOULD a Bianchi be?) Cro-moly Fe was real, but good grief, even the Felt F65 Al frame w/ C stays "felt" 1,000x better on a Metric. Shifter broke in July 2008 & I still was able to get $400 for it!

Went carless in 2006-2008
Life saved by a police officer who set a motorist straight for intimidating & threatening behavior
7,723.48 miles in 2007-2008
Then I moved to N. VA, the land of winter de-icing & drivetrain-ruining stuff and... well, at least I still run & hike!

Last edited:
Road: Cannondale Black Lightning with Rolfe Vectors, P-D F-19 aero's, FSA 53/38 chainrings, 12-23 custom.

Mountain: Barracuda ABS2 frankenbike, works very well and is almost bombproof.

Daily Rider: Frankenbike (something French) steel-is-real fixed gear (Surly 46-17/19 fixed/fixed) with Surly/Handspun deep dish wheels, Phil Wood BB, DuraAce headset. I love my fixed gear.

Last edited:
Haven't ridden in a while.

Road: Used to own a Cannondale 700r (circa 1992, that my dad bought for me when I turned 14 or 15 at O'Neals bike shop in Worcester. 14 speed, base level Shimano components and Look pedals. Upgraded the down-tube levers to a set of Shimano 105 combo levers after a few years. Put lots of miles on that one and sold it shortly after college when I got sick of motorists trying to run me over.

MTB: Still have an old Trek 830 Antelope bought circa 1990, fully rigid frame, some sort of Shimano components.

I keep getting the itch to road bike again but watching idiots driving these days who can't even watch out for other cars I just put that little idea on the shelf for a while longer.

I'm new to the road biking scene (but I love mountain biking). Rather than get in over my head (cost wise) Nicole and I both got bikes from bikes direct. They aren't name brand, but they have around the same components as you'd find on an entry level trek/specialized/etc...

Mine:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3_IX.htm

Nicole's:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/willow2.htm

We've been very happy with these as the investment for a name brand bike was pretty harrowing.

I do own more mountain bikes than I should admit to.

I have a trek pilot 2.1 wsd; a bike designed for women. It was in my budget when I bought a road bike 3 yrs ago. I just sold my Terry Trilogy and sold my Lotus Unique last year.