Twins & Galehead, Saturday - 2/6/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Sue and I are planning to hike the Twins and Galehead this Saturday (2/6/2010). The preferred approach would be a traverse from Seven Dwarfs to Beaver Brook (or the reverse). Anybody want to join the fun?

The latest check shows terrific conditions are expected for the day but we’ll continue to keep an eye on the forecasts for any changes.

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

:cool:

Hi-

I see a lot of your posts.... my husband and I tend to hike book time as well.

We're looking at doing the twins and galehead the following weekend, Saturday 2/13, with 2 to 4 other friends.

If this Saturday doesn't pan out for you, let me know... would enjoy meeting you.

Beth Zimmer, Meredith
btzimr at gmail dot com

If this Saturday doesn't pan out for you, let me know... would enjoy meeting you.

Thanks.

The forecast will need to change a lot before we pull the plug on this weekend. It looks like another great one is coming up.

A possible bonus is once again bumping into Farmer on one of his record treks. We met him on the trail once last year on his Presi Traverse (Edmands Col - 9/5/2009), and again recently with Mats and Jason on the first day of their W48 record run (Isolation - 1/16/2010). With a little luck we may see him and Jason again on their Hut-to-Hut traverse, which I believe may happen this Saturday with good conditions. The forecast currently shows good conditions.

The following weekend is also already planned.

:)

Last edited:
My heel is not quite up to your "book time" speed, but hope to join you and Sue in the not too distant future. Have fun and be safe.

My heel is not quite up to your "book time" speed, but hope to join you and Sue in the not too distant future. Have fun and be safe.

Rick,

I'm starting to think you don't like us. Either that or you're waiting for M&M Season (mud and monorail). :eek:

Heal the heel. ;)

Seriously, I hope you're making progress. See you soon.

BigEarl, I would like to join you. Is it around 12 miles with a 4k elev gain? I have done these peaks but not by the approaches you mention. I will send you an email with more details. Thanks for the invite. Mike

BigEarl, I would like to join you. Is it around 12 miles with a 4k elev gain? I have done these peaks but not by the approaches you mention. I will send you an email with more details. Thanks for the invite. Mike

Welcome to the hike Mike! See below for more details. The winter approach and exit adds some distance to and from the trailheads.

It looks like we have a pretty good group coming together for the hike. As it stands, we have…..

Trail Trotter (Sue)
Loanshark
Ed ‘n Lauky
MikeM
KRobi
and me – BIGEarl.

There are possibly a couple more.

The final plan:

We will plan to meet at the Beaver Brook Wayside Area on Route 3 in Twin Mountain at ~6:30am, consolidate gear into fewer vehicles, and head for Seven Dwarfs Motel on Little River Road for the hike. We’re targeting a 7:00am start.

The traverse back is roughly 15 Miles, 3900 Feet, with an estimated time of 11hr 30min (hike time plus breaks, etc.). The book time for the hike is ~10 hours. A 7:00am start means back to Beaver Brook around 6:30pm, or perhaps a little earlier.

Everybody should plan for a leisurely pace. It looks like another terrific day and probably great views to enjoy from the Twins.

Everybody should plan for a leisurely pace. It looks like another terrific day and probably great views to enjoy from the Twins.

If you've got hawk eyes we'll be waving from Carrigain. I wish I could join you guys but I committed to a meetup hike ahead of time. Hopefully I'll follow your tracks next weekend if this great weather holds.

The group that's coming together for the hike keeps getting better. As it stands, we have…..

New Additions: Scoutmaster and Happyhiker

Trail Trotter (Sue)
Loanshark
Ed ‘n Lauky
MikeM
KRobi
and me – BIGEarl.

There are possibly a couple more.

:D

Last edited: