Bear Brook State Park Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Are the trails open in the winter? I have their map, and it says it is a state park map for the summer. Anyone hiked there during winter, and if so...do you have any recommendations? Thanks!!

grouseking

Bear Brook is a snowmobile, ATV, Dog sled, XC ski haven in winter.

You'll find more solitude on the single track hiking trails I suspect many are broken out..

We were there a couple of weeks ago on a weekday. Yes, there were snowmobiles.

We parked in the middle of the park at a plowed lot off Deerfield Rd. Check summer map on the web, NOT the lot near the gatehouse.

We took the Bear Brook Trail. No snowmobiles. Very easy, very scenic. We kind of dead ended at the stream crossing, but we were running short of time anyway. We back tracked the way we came. All in all, we were out maybe an hour and a half.

Not sure if there is snow left after the rains. Would be nice to have a winter map!

I've hiked in Bear Brook many times. There is a five mile loop (using several different trails) that I have done several times as a full moon snow shoe hike! It's fabulous. The terrain is very gentle (thus beginners can easily do this). Yes there are snowmobiles, but they are not allowed on the hiking/skiing trails and there really is only one place about half-way on this particular loop where I've encountered snowmobiles. The rest of the loop is beautiful - especially in winter under a full moon! I highly recommend Bear Brook State Park!

Little Bear-

I have a camp in Epsom, and would like to try your 5 mile loop hike

Can you give me some direction here?

Thx / Peter

Many years ago I used to Orienteer in Bear Brook Park. Many good trails and scenic spots. Running the trails on snow and Ice can be exciting, too. I have the detailed O-map somewhere here.

Would be nice to have a winter map!
I tried finding one online but no luck, I have hardcopy of an old version and also the orienteering map which I consider too detailed for winter hiking.

What I suggest is just to use the summer map (which is online and different version in AMC guide) and assume that multi-use and mtn bike trails will be snowmobiled and the others are for skiing and hiking. When you get to the parking area there may be a winter map posted to confirm this. You can also get a free snowmobile guide at rest areas which shows snowmobile trails.

I think the loop past the pond leanto and Bear Hill is about 5 miles.

Someone posted the following link to a scanned winter trail map on another forum:
www.carlsbits.com/images/BearBrookWinter.jpg

If the scale on the map is correct, the loop from XC-1 parking to the Smith Pond shelter is about 5 miles and when I was there some years ago people were cooking hot dogs at the shelter fireplace