Five Fingers and Barefooting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshie

Reaction score
After some research and experimenting I decided to switch to barefoot running. I picked up a pair of Five Fingers KSOs today because I run indoors a lot in the winter (I don't think the Y would like my bare feet flopping around on their treadmills) and the thought of a sharp twig/jagged rock/insert other trail hazard here lodging itself in my foot terrifies me. Once it gets a bit warmer out, I'll be using them for road and trail running, about a 50/50 splt.

Any tips, suggestions, or feedback?

Thanks.

After some research and experimenting I decided to switch to barefoot running. I picked up a pair of Five Fingers KSOs today because I run indoors a lot in the winter (I don't think the Y would like my bare feet flopping around on their treadmills) and the thought of a sharp twig/jagged rock/insert other trail hazard here lodging itself in my foot terrifies me. Once it gets a bit warmer out, I'll be using them for road and trail running, about a 50/50 splt.

Any tips, suggestions, or feedback?

Thanks.
Maybe Dr wu will chime in here, he seems to like them.

My friend saw someone running down a main road in Portland, Maine the other day (read: this week) - totally barefoot.

5 Fingers

Love my five fingers and ran in nike frees before I got them for about 3 years. The key to barefoot running is to start out slooowly. I would think of it less as switching to barefoot running and more like starting to incorporate barefoot running into your training. Start out with 400m or so a few times a week and up that to a mile or so after a few weeks. It takes time for your legs to adapt to the new stride and not healstriking. One of the biggest advantage to the 5 fingers is being able to feel the ground under your feet, it adds a whole new element to running. Just take your time, bruised soles on your feet is no fun (experience talking)