MSR Denali Ascent - Worn binding replacement and modifications

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I've gotten new bindings/crampons for my MSR Denali Ascents because the black coated woven material is wearing through. In the package, the crampons are labeled Left and Right, however, they are backwards from the way I have always seen folks wearing their snowshoes. If I install them as suggested, then the straps pull towards the inside. I called EMS and they confirmed the MSR reps say straps pull to the outside, as I thought.

Given that I wore through them due to rubbing on the plastic decking (with every step), I am curious if anyone wears them the other way.

I installed them with the tabs to the outside, but I took a Dremel tool at rounded over the sharp corner on the decking where the binding strap was rubbing. I finished it with 400 grit sandpaper and now it is nice and smooth.

Worn binding

Decking with the edge knocked down

Maybe this will help someone...

Tim

My Evo Ascents wore the strap out as you have described. They sent me new straps but they work fine without the pointed end of the strap so I just go with it. I will do what you did if I put the new straps on. When we bought them the MSR booklet (covers all Denali models) said, "MSR Denali snowshoes can be worn on either foot. We recommend wearing the heel strap's tension buckle on the inside of your foot. This orientation enables you to be ideally positioned to tighten your straps."
That being said I too have seen people have them both ways...lefthanded?

When we bought them the MSR booklet (covers all Denali models) said, "MSR Denali snowshoes can be worn on either foot. We recommend wearing the heel strap's tension buckle on the inside of your foot. This orientation enables you to be ideally positioned to tighten your straps."
That being said I too have seen people have them both ways...lefthanded?
We always used to put the buckles on the outside to minimize the chance of them catching on the other snowshoe. I continue to do the same for my MSRs.

Doug

I have the Evo Ascent style which does not have this problem. As you can see the binding material is sans souci in its third season after about 150 miles.

The only problem I have had is the stamped metal buckles cutting into the straps. This was remedied before the second hike by filing the sharp edges of the metal tongues with a 5/32" chainsaw file. The problem has not recurred.

I liked Tim's idea of putting some duck tape on the metal bail of the televator to keep the tab centered.

I saw Mike use a neat trick to flip up his Televators this weekend. The handle of a hiking pole is wonderfully contoured to get under the bail and snap it up. It worked like a charm for me.

Same here -- tension buckles on the outside. But didn't do that, originally.

It's probably just me and the bizarre, freakish gait that I have, but when I used to wear the shoes such that the buckles were on the inside (making it easier to tighten), the shoe would "migrate" on my foot so that the tail end was shifted at an angle, toward my body.

Once I switched the shoes around, this "migration" stopped. I've worn them that way since, even though it's a not as easy to tighten the strap.

Hmmmm...

Been there, done that, for the very same reason. I've been an "outie" type ever since (well, on this point at least.)

I liked Tim's idea of putting some duck tape on the metal bail of the televator to keep the tab centered.

As in this photo:

So, which shoe is this? Left or right? I wear this shoe on my right foot, which seems counter to the idea of wearing the heel tension buckle to the inside. The tab end of the straps go to the outside.

I find the phrase "tension buckle" to be ambiguous. It could either be the plastic loop where the pointed end of the strap is held tight, or it could be the metal hook on which the strap hole is impaled.

Tim

As in this photo:

So, which shoe is this? Left or right? I wear this shoe on my right foot, which seems counter to the idea of wearing the heel tension buckle to the inside. The tab end of the straps go to the outside.

I find the phrase "tension buckle" to be ambiguous. It could either be the plastic loop where the pointed end of the strap is held tight, or it could be the metal hook on which the strap hole is impaled.

Tim
Start a poll! :D

That's my right shoe...

Tim

I thought the same thing, Tim. For once in my life I read the instructions...and it doesn't help! :confused: I just got my shoes recently and have worn them maybe 5 times. Tried them each way and doesn't really seem to be a differnce for me.

Broken Denail Ascent

This past Friday while doing Pierce, I stepped on the front part of my left snowshoe with my right snowshoe, and the tip broke at the first rivet on the inside. This happened at the Mizpah Cutoff Jct. I contacted MSR today (nobody there on the weekends) and they will send me a new pair upon receipt of the broken pair. I was able to continue to Pierce and back out, but the broken shoe had lost its stability. See how long it takes!!

My wife and I went around and around on the concept of the tension buckle as you have. Even the picture in the instruction manual is ambiguous as it could be either foot. That being said I agree that this is a right foot snowshoe. I tried it on the other foot and it didn't feel right and my right foot wouldn't stay centered. I saw Mike do the lifting of the televator as Paradox's photo shows.
It worked well, and my pole doesn't have the nice lip on it like John's.

I can usually pick up the televator using the pointed end of the pole by catching the loop and pushing toward my toe. I've also learned that it's not too hard, if you are on a steep slope, to kneel towards the uphill shoe and just use my hand. Putting them down is easier - stick the pole behind your heel and using the heel as the fulcrum, pull the pole towards your hip.

I'll have to try the handle end trick.

Tim

BTW, I called Cascade Designs and they don't recommend one way over the other really. Their bindings are labeled mainly because they are different... I would be exceptionally clear about which binding you need if you are ordering/replacing only one.

Tim

MSR Denali Ascents replaced

Previous post: broken Ascents on Feb 5, sent out Feb. 9, new pair arrived today via UPS..guess that is not a bad turn around..Lefty E

Evo ascents

just scored a once worn pair from EMs with one broken hinge. called cascades and sending a few new ones, free. Picked up this smoking deal for $80 id say damn near new, i could even use a bolt to fix this he told me. So these will add to my collection with my tubbs which are great too, great score!!:D Ill use all your info to Pimp them and makem better..